OT: Stock trading | Page 191 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
Not me. Tech got too cheap. While Oil is driving some of the current issues, so is a huge shortage of semiconductors. Tech is massively deflationary. There is a spending slowdown as every company is cautious. But the only way out will be to invest more in technology to reduce costs. Might take some time.
I don't think you see the full picture of what's actually taking place, but best of luck to you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think you see the full picture of what's actually taking place, but best of luck to you.
Please enlighten us. If there's more to the picture I'd probably stockpile food and guns in a cabin in the woods.

Reaction Score
I see oil coming down to the 75/80 level due to demand destruction and SPR flooding into market. That ends end of Sept, expect some delay effect and prices should increase between then and before/after Mid-terms. At the same time we are waiting for the fed pivot which afterwards should cause equities drop/crash and oil/commodities flash crash. Im looking to pick up more RIG, Silver miners/streams/royalties.

Reaction Score
If you have enough in your account to day trade, UT doesn't matter. You can move in and out as you please without incurring a round trip warning.

You can make a lot of money on the volatility of this up and down market.

I agree that the warning signs are ominous, but a good strategy and a strong stomach for risk can make you monet or break your bank.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree that the warning signs are ominous, but a good strategy and a strong stomach for risk can make you monet or break your bank.

Clueless-Monet.gif

Reaction Score
If you have enough in your account to day trade, UT doesn't matter. You can move in and out as you please without incurring a round trip warning.

You can make a lot of money on the volatility of this up and down market.

Exactly.
Keep the core that you never sell, but if something pops - sell - buy again. I am just encouraging profit taking.

Reaction Score
Exactly.
Keep the core that you never sell, but if something pops - sell - buy again. I am just encouraging profit taking.

The daily swings are crazy, down at the opening bell, then up 100 points at the close.

You can make a lot of money by beta trading in a volatile market. It's not for everyone

Reaction Score
Please enlighten us. If there's more to the picture I'd probably stockpile food and guns in a cabin in the woods.
First off, I want everyone associated with UConn to be successful. I just know that I know nothing and risk management is key right now. Part of this recovery is that there must be destruction of people, businesses and currency and I just don't want to be on the destroyed side. When global hegemony is on the table, I think a lot of rules dissolve and a lot of surprises can be coming.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Still haven’t… how able Google?
Nah. I believe we haven’t bottomed yet. But they’re cheap enough that maybe for them they have. I’m going to focus more on commodities right now. Maybe adding shop and Amazon

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I got absolutely kicked in the testicles with VTGN on Friday. Had a nice run up until a failed drug trial derailed things. Only have a few thousand shares and is a very small holding overall but it was down 85% on Friday. Never had that happen before…

Reaction Score
Kicking myself for not jumping into a 3x bear fund.

Starting to think Roubini is right and went straight to cash this morning. I could have easily jumped into a bear fund and made 6 percent on today's decline and then sold at the bell. Too bad, so sad.

I think Thursday will be a day that sets the tone for market going forward. The Feds speak and a lot of companies will release earnings.

I'd rather be out for a few days if not more.

Reaction Score
MSFT and GOOG both report missed earnings after market.

Tomorrow will bumpy day.

I think we're in a recession

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And the stock pops on the news. Nothing makes sense.
"Pops" It's cheap. The issues facing both MSFT and GOOG are almost entirely macro in nature, not specific to the companies. They missed but they missed less than expected. Numbers roughly in line with last year despite the macro challenges.

1658930397496.png

Reaction Score
"Pops" It's cheap. The issues facing both MSFT and GOOG are almost entirely macro in nature, not specific to the companies. They missed but they missed less than expected. Numbers roughly in line with last year despite the macro challenges.

View attachment 77796

It may in fact be cheap, but given the current climate, it also might not have bottomed.

Nothing wrong with buying either now with a long term outlook, but it's possible that if the recession isn't as shallow as thought, there still might be some room to buy at a better strike price, who knows?

Reaction Score
Cloud # beats both companies

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Cloud # beats both companies
Azure projected to grow 43% in the MSFT report to analysts. As with Amazon (where retail loses money), too many folks don't realize where much of the revenue comes from with MSFT and GOOG.

And yes @B1GEast I have no idea what the actual bottom is, but I am pretty sure it isn't much lower for either company. In this climate I'd be looking at deleveraged companies, with a wide moat and strong supply chain. Their smaller highly leveraged competitors are going to get wrecked by the current macro environment.

Reaction Score
MSFT and GOOG both report missed earnings after market.

Tomorrow will bumpy day.

I think we're in a recession
Bumpy indeed. Luckily a bump up. Reading the stock market is sometimes harder than betting on sports.

Reaction Score
I got absolutely kicked in the testicles with VTGN on Friday. Had a nice run up until a failed drug trial derailed things. Only have a few thousand shares and is a very small holding overall but it was down 85% on Friday. Never had that happen before…
Damn son, that blows

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Down early, bounced back.

Season 4 Flirting GIF by Friends
This is why I never even open my statements. For almost 30 years now.

The only time I've looked is when I had to fill out some CSS forms for potential financial aid for our kids' college, which was a total waste of time.

Except last week I got a statement for a rollover 401k from a job I left almost 25 years ago and I was curious what was in it (more than I expected!). The first page showed my asset breakdown as 100% stocks, and my suggested asset breakdown for my age showing around 30% bonds. Thinking I should probably make some adjustments on that point at some point soon.

But my point is that I am probably the furthest thing from @B1GEast 's day-trading mentality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom