OT: Stock trading | Page 189 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
My understanding is that those guys leverage their stock to avoid realizing huge taxable gains and to manage swings in stock prices. Although Musk did recently sell a huge block of Tesla.
No doubt, yet not only the 1% HNW reasonably manage portfolios to harvest gains vs tax loss leveraging, free up cash, and enable buying during and after individual security down swings and downturns generally across various sectors, cap sizes, markets, etc. The uber uber uber rich just have more digits.

With all account types, some people just avoid acting. Being busy with other stuff, experience, greed, inadequate prior planning, ignorance, etc, limits reassessing holdings, ups, downs, future projections, potential hedging, etc. Challenging recent patch clearly more for some than others, concurrent opportunity (LT-financially, learning, etc), rinse and repeat. Not retiring soon? Opportunities enabled.

Reaction Score
No doubt, yet not only the 1% HNW reasonably manage portfolios to harvest gains vs tax loss leveraging, free up cash, and enable buying during and after individual security down swings and downturns generally across various sectors, cap sizes, markets, etc. The uber uber uber rich just have more digits.

With all account types, some people just avoid acting. Being busy with other stuff, experience, greed, inadequate prior planning, ignorance, etc, limits reassessing holdings, ups, downs, future projections, potential hedging, etc. Challenging recent patch clearly more for some than others, concurrent opportunity (LT-financially, learning, etc), rinse and repeat. Not retiring soon? Opportunities enabled.

I have no idea what you are saying here.......

Reaction Score
My parents rented their second house for 15 years before retiring there. All these towns have locals who will work as yiur kind of "emergency contact" for the house if you aren't local. Just some local yocal handyman. Definitely worth looking into costs and such if that's what is making you hesitate on pulling the trigger on the house
Both bonded local handyman managers with solid reputations and track records, and/or professional management companies alike can be reasonable alternatives. Typically, the latter more costly albeit with more services, e.g., online tracking, established vendor-relationships, etc.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what you are saying here.......
example: X, Y or Z security up 200, 300, 400% last year (or any year), take some profits on highest-cost shares => free up cash to buy other stuff person wants to invest in, etc.
A, B or C security down few hundred % take some losses, balance losses against gains to manage overall tax impact.
Hedge - buying puts can help with stuff wayyyy up (SPY and QQQ 4Q21); buying calls can enable buys of stuff which may drop significantly to a price a person is inclined to buy

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Went in on Rivian (RIVN) for a bit earlier this week at $27. I'll see what that can do.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Anyone been looking a gogl? It a global shipping company.

Reaction Score
example: X, Y or Z security up 200, 300, 400% last year (or any year), take some profits on highest-cost shares => free up cash to buy other stuff person wants to invest in, etc.
A, B or C security down few hundred % take some losses, balance losses against gains to manage overall tax impact.
Hedge - buying puts can help with stuff wayyyy up (SPY and QQQ 4Q21); buying calls can enable buys of stuff which may drop significantly to a price a person is inclined to buy
You do realize that no investment can go down more than 100% right?? And you SELL calls against your long positions to hedge, you don’t buy them

Reaction Score
You do realize that no investment can go down more than 100% right?? And you SELL calls against your long positions to hedge, you don’t buy them
My reference to calls was not entirely clear, and it should have been on a separate line or in a separate sentence. To hedge against anticipated declines, I referred to puts bought to provide some cover on overall LT holdings.

Separately, the calls comment was intended to reference Call BUYS to 1. enable right to buy some quality large caps, 2. IF the specific companies potentially dropped to desired BUY exercise prices 3. IF overall US equities declined significantly. Did, exercised.

Reaction Score
My reference to calls was not entirely clear, and it should have been on a separate line or in a separate sentence. To hedge against anticipated declines, I referred to puts bought to provide some cover on overall LT holdings.

Separately, the calls comment was intended to reference Call BUYS to 1. enable right to buy some quality large caps, 2. IF the specific companies potentially dropped to desired BUY exercise prices 3. IF overall US equities declined significantly. Did, exercised.
What you are describing is accomplished by selling puts, not buying calls.

Reaction Score
What you are describing is accomplished by selling puts, not buying calls.
Sell put right to buy, or buy call obligation to buy. Accomplished goals, bought at desired exercise prices. Alternatively, spreads yet keeping it simple. Coupla decades+ worked out OK. /s

Reaction Score
Sell put right to buy, or buy call obligation to buy. Accomplished goals, bought at desired exercise prices. Alternatively, spreads yet keeping
The right to buy/sell comes from buying options. The obligation to buy/sell comes from selling options. Your "strategies" stated above ("2. IF the specific companies potentially dropped to desired BUY exercise prices 3. IF overall US equities declined significantly. Did, exercised.") are accomplished by selling puts, not buying calls.

Reaction Score
The right to buy/sell comes from buying options. The obligation to buy/sell comes from selling options. Your "strategies" stated above ("2. IF the specific companies potentially dropped to desired BUY exercise prices 3. IF overall US equities declined significantly. Did, exercised.") are accomplished by selling puts, not buying calls.
True dat, and exercise prices, intended goal(s), and timing matter. Misrepresented why, and when calls were bought. Exercised bought puts, and separately bought calls yet not for reasons in the misstated examplle. Yikes, my bad and still worked. I'll lay off the meds. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I think the Fed is doing the only thing it can do and, ultimately, what it has to do. It will be very difficult to try to determine when equities hit the trough. I think real estate is next. Crypto and memes........well..........

Reaction Score
I think today is gonna be wild…you might see the market down 600-800 points but it may be up by the end of the day. Lots of clueless funds playing games and many of them are going to end up going bankrupt.

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
These are LOL funny takes. The way people laugh at crypto but then happily invest in S&P/DOW companies which I'm sure are excellent for the environment and no criminal activities happen.

To the OP I use FTX & Voyager and try to avoid Coinbase cause their fees are insane. I don't use any type of cold storage because I don't really care since I rather stake or swap
Been meaning to come back and point to the scoreboard.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Been meaning to come back and point to the scoreboard.
At least you tagged me when you tried to dance on my head.... Also, people who invested in Tesla or NVDA I'm sure would also like to point to the scoreboard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom