OT: Stock trading | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
As someone who has managed money for a living for the last 20 years, I must say I have found this thread entertaining, interesting and amusing. The interesting part being some good ideas w some decent rationale behind them (although a lot of speculation as well). The amusing part is that no one on here has appeared to lose any money!! I have jobs for a number of you if interested!!

For the record.....I got slaughtered in my PA in the beginning of this thing because I didn’t think it would be as serious as it became and I bought the first 30% dip in a number of economically sensitive names. Got onsides quickly after that and have made most back, but it’s been a ball buster of a battle.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
As someone who has managed money for a living for the last 20 years, I must say I have found this thread entertaining, interesting and amusing. The interesting part being some good ideas w some decent rationale behind them (although a lot of speculation as well). The amusing part is that no one on here has appeared to lose any money!! I have jobs for a number of you if interested!!

For the record.....I got slaughtered in my PA in the beginning of this thing because I didn’t think it would be as serious as it became and I bought the first 30% dip in a number of economically sensitive names. Got onsides quickly after that and have made most back, but it’s been a ball buster of a battle.

I’ve done ok mostly buying high yield dividend stocks that were depressed by the plague.

We’ll see how this goes long term.

Im definitely no wizard though.

Reaction Score

I knew tech stocks were in for a bloody day soon enough but for some reason rushed into several of the cloud stocks like Twilio, Shopify, more DocuSign etc. Tuesday got rough followed by the most brutal morning I’ve ever had. My biggest position, DocuSign was down 10, Shopify and Amazon down over 50 each, and my other 4 all gutted. Fortunately I didn’t cave and they all came back for the most part. I make a lot of mistakes and will admit it but fortunately up a good amount after today. This does feel a lot like the dot com boom though, with new $ rushing into cloud stocks. Hope to cash in one more week and then go to a more conservative longterm portfolio.

the Q

Reaction Score
I knew tech stocks were in for a bloody day soon enough but for some reason rushed into several of the cloud stocks like Twilio, Shopify, more DocuSign etc. Tuesday got rough followed by the most brutal morning I’ve ever had. My biggest position, DocuSign was down 10, Shopify and Amazon down over 50 each, and my other 4 all gutted. Fortunately I didn’t cave and they all came back for the most part. I make a lot of mistakes and will admit it but fortunately up a good amount after today. This does feel a lot like the dot com boom though, with new $ rushing into cloud stocks. Hope to cash in one more week and then go to a more conservative longterm portfolio.

I’ve been reading that Only a few sectors are really holding up this recovery. So if those drop again, we’ll be back down where we started

Reaction Score
I’ve been reading that Only a few sectors are really holding up this recovery. So if those drop again, we’ll be back down where we started
Wednesday people started rotating into retail, airlines, cruise stocks etc but after a day of that, $ started pouring into tech again. The good news is I don’t think the tech stocks will dip below Wednesday’s lows, that was an exercise to clean out the weak investors and pick up great names at a big discount. A lot of tech companies slated to report earnings this week, hopefully it’s another big week before another pullback.

Reaction Score
Loaded some TSLA for the launch this weekend. It’s free advertisement for them and the stock has been consolidating and keeping a firm base for a couple weeks. $1000 sounds crazy, but I can see it happening as long as the market doesn’t tank.

If I was in the buy and hold forever camp, TSLA would be my #1 for so many reasons.

Reaction Score
Wednesday people started rotating into retail, airlines, cruise stocks etc but after a day of that, $ started pouring into tech again. The good news is I don’t think the tech stocks will dip below Wednesday’s lows, that was an exercise to clean out the weak investors and pick up great names at a big discount. A lot of tech companies slated to report earnings this week, hopefully it’s another big week before another pullback.
That started well before Wednesday. And unwound the last two days.

Reaction Score
That started well before Wednesday. And unwound the last two days.
Maybe a bit but after word of another possible vaccine Wednesday, it became very pronounced. I chalk it up to rotation and an overdue correction of tech stocks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I can assure you my Boeing buys are currently about 10-15% below the value of the stock I traded for it. I had some Lockheed Martin shares and I felt they were in the upper 80%+ of their value. So I traded them out for Boeing which I felt was low but would recover. Lockheed at $375/share is my break even with Boeing at $175/share.

I feel more confident with Boeing getting another 40-50% of value more than I believe Lockheed goes up the same percentage.

Reaction Score
BA's Q2 report should be dismal, shareholders are hoping for some orders from China soon.

Reaction Score
I made plenty and lost plenty this month, luckily still on the plus side.

My airline positions went down about 20%, rallied to up about 10%, and drifted back close to even, all in the span of 2 weeks.

Most everything else I've been dumping into funds, and those have all been up since March, obviously.

I've had some big losers in the last 10 years. GE was my first stock back in 2010 at $18 and was lucky to sell in February at $12. Probably the only blue chip stock to lose value during the 2010's bull market and I picked it, and it could have been even worse.

Also picked an oil industry stock around $100 that I had to sell years later at around $1.50 with my tail between my legs. Was almost too embarrassed to tell my wife about it. Should have bought a big screen TV instead.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My tech stocks had a strong day on Friday. Dell Technologies was up over 9%. I’m not a big fan of the small niche tech stocks. Docusign is ok, but I think Adobe is more likely to win in that space. I should look into Service Now.

Reaction Score

The bears who have puts are patiently waiting their chance to post. If they have anything left to conjure up more puts.

I already mentioned my two major blunders. Other than that the V shape has been good to those not betting against or making mistakes at least since March. I feel its been too unorthodox for the more conventional traders as they're not use to the pump and dump style. Buffet momentarily punched my airline stocks in the nuts, but he certainly didn't get the last laugh. This is uncharted territory for the old guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My airline positions went down about 20%, rallied to up about 10%, and drifted back close to even, all in the span of 2 weeks.

Most everything else I've been dumping into funds, and those have all been up since March, obviously.

I've had some big losers in the last 10 years. GE was my first stock back in 2010 at $18 and was lucky to sell in February at $12. Probably the only blue chip stock to lose value during the 2010's bull market and I picked it, and it could have been even worse.

Also picked an oil industry stock around $100 that I had to sell years later at around $1.50 with my tail between my legs. Was almost too embarrassed to tell my wife about it. Should have bought a big screen TV instead.
I bought into GE last week. Not sure how long I'll hold it but so far it's been good for me

Reaction Score
My tech stocks had a strong day on Friday. Dell Technologies was up over 9%. I’m not a big fan of the small niche tech stocks. Docusign is ok, but I think Adobe is more likely to win in that space. I should look into Service Now.
There are a list of 20-30 that keep running that I want to consider adding but if I don’t know a lot about their businesses and some have just run up so far. I picked up Shopify and Twilio last week after dips, but they ran up so much that I might have been too late. I strongly disagree on DocuSign. We use it for my job, every customer I send a doc to seems familiar with and happy to use DocuSign. Through acquisitions, they’ve diversified quite a bit from just esignstures and should have a lot of room to grow. Very possible though that a lot of these tech stocks have peaked and might not go up much from here for a while. Adobe is a winner either way:

the Q

Reaction Score

I put my portfolio up in this thread. You can hire me based on that if you want. lol

Reaction Score
My biggest stock, Docusign, reports Thursday night. Has already run like crazy (20 points past 2 days) that I’m considering pulling the plug on half prior to Thursday. Curious how the rest of you have done playing and timing earnings announcements.

Reaction Score
I get burned on more earnings than I win.
Ive also lost on Amzn and another company after earnings as well. Unless a company completely knocks it out of the park, a lot seem to sell off after earnings.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Western Union in possible buyout of Moneygram. Both services use Ripple

Reaction Score

You mean you can lose money when investing? Are you sure?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom