Stewie dunks for Colgate | The Boneyard

Stewie dunks for Colgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Stewie should dunk for the Colgate fans tonight if she gets the chance. It would not be an in-your-face moment at all. Just a thanks for coming out and I saved my first college dunk for you moment. I would love to see it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Why? Because she's not very good at it. I've seen her when she didn't have to worry about running full speed or a defender under cutting her. She can do it, but not effortlessly and not consistently. If a dunk isn't a higher percentage play than a layup , just make the layup.

Reaction Score
It's not a question of whether Stewie can dunk. It's a quesiton of whether she should? what is the point? The point of dunking in the men's games has been to show off and one up the opponent. I think the UConn women winning the game is statement enough....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think Stewie should dunk for the Colgate fans tonight if she gets the chance. It would not be an in-your-face moment at all. Just a thanks for coming out and I saved my first college dunk for you moment. I would love to see it.
I agree, kind of cool in a way to do it for her family and friends.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I hope i never see a UConn women's basketball player dunk.
That's just silly.

The point of dunking in the men's games has been to show off and one up the opponent.
Not true. The dunk is a very high (the highest) percentage shot. But yes in addition it can be intimidating (and who doesn't want that?) and a real boost to one's team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That's just silly.

Not true. The dunk is a very high (the highest) percentage shot. But yes in addition it can be intimidating (and who doesn't want that?) and a real boost to one's team.

I agree. In the men's game it is sometimes required to ensure that the basket is scored. I like BG's dunks in the pros because everyone is a professional, but in retrospect her dunks in college were poor sportsmanship.

Reaction Score
I agree. In the men's game it is sometimes required to ensure that the basket is scored. I like BG's dunks in the pros because everyone is a professional, but in retrospect her dunks in college were poor sportsmanship.
Holy Moly!! Sportmanship---un Sportsmanship preforming the same manuever, how can that be?? In college, supposedly equal competitors--in WNBA/Pro equals--
. If it is allowed in WCBB, it is sportsmanlike.

However I wasn't fond of Griner in College--I have a multitude of reasons, most are without merit. Yet, I believe if anything is allowed by the rules--USE it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Holy Moly!! Sportmanship---un Sportsmanship preforming the same manuever, how can that be?? In college, supposedly equal competitors--in WNBA/Pro equals--
. If it is allowed in WCBB, it is sportsmanlike.

However I wasn't fond of Griner in College--I have a multitude of reasons, most are without merit. Yet, I believe if anything is allowed by the rules--USE it.

We know that in college all competitors are not equal. Dunking on a team of players at a much lower level of talent is not good sportsmanship IMO. A dunk in a game against another top 10 team, that is a different story because the talent level IS much closer.

Reaction Score
We know that in college all competitors are not equal. Dunking on a team of players at a much lower level of talent is not good sportsmanship IMO. A dunk in a game against another top 10 team, that is a different story because the talent level IS much closer.

Morally, ethically, and by the rules dunking is allowed--without question it is not Unsportsman like to use the dunk. By your definition--Stewie should not be allowed to play in most games--because most players are so far below her level--using her is unsportmanlike???? Same is true of Moriah--she can't be allowed to play. Uconn should not be allowed to play Colgate, 12 of the AAC teams.
Better send an email to Geno informing him..
If dunking were banned--then I would agree it's unsportmanlike to use it. But it is within the rules--so use it.
Personal morals don't replace the rules of WBB. If you want to say "by MY moral convictions it is wrong"
then I should have to agree, for you that's YOUR moral conviction . But your morality does not WBB rules make.

Reaction Score
I hope i never see a UConn women's basketball player dunk.
I agree, and don't think it's silly at all. Not dunking itself, but the premium placed on dunking has been one of several factors that IMHO have contributed to the unwatchability of the men's game compared to the women's. And if it's not an 'in your face" statement -- and I agree that it wouldn't be, what's the point, unless this is an exhibition game? And never mind the possibility that she misses the dunk, which has been known to happen. I've seen the videos of her doing it in practice -- not an especially pretty sight.

Colgate was kind enough to give UConn a game it wanted. I don't think UConn should return the favor by doing anything that seems to be rubbing it in. They should play their regular game, win by 60 or whatever points, and let Stewie play in the spotlight. Colgate, their coach and their fans think it's cool that the #1 team is coming to their gym to play. Let's make it a positive experience all around.

Reaction Score
If we play Tinn-ow-see as a 1-16 in the tournament we owe them one,otherwise i would hate to see her dunk on any other opponent because of potential injury,sometimes not being classy at the typical uconn standard,etc.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget Philip Nolan cruising in for a shock-and-awe two handed slam dunk in the men's 2014 game against Yale. Blasted it off the rim. The ball flew to a waiting Bulldog, who raced down the court for a layup. Yale won, 45-44.

Gimme finesse, grit, and a win any day.

GG

Reaction Score
I hope that she throws one down at some point in her career. As long as she does not get hurt, I am all for it.

HGN

Reaction Score
2- points is 2- points....................But a dunk does seem to get the fans excited. If its your teams player doing the dunking.

But in this case , and in this game , it would not be the right thing to do. Especially since Colgate was kind , and Brave , enough to give UConn and Stewie a Homecoming. They may look at it as a slap in the face instead of just trying to excite the crowd.

JUST SAYING.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
That's one opinion- I respect that. I don't equate the/her ability to dunk to tattoos and names on back of jersies.
I wouldn't lose respect for her if she dunked one-

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bad idea. The UConn haters would pile on yelping about a low class move against an overwhelmed opponent.
Wolves (or Huskies in this case) should not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep. :cool:

Reaction Score
I think a dunk would be anticlimactic. It doesn't look like she can really slam it down, so it would just be a basket where her hand was over the rim. Not nearly as exciting as the anticipation might suggest.
Not being able to do the theatrical dunks the men can do might be one of the things that keeps the women's game a more appealing product to me with more teamwork and less showboating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom