Stewie and Jewell's All-Decade Women's College Hoops Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie and Jewell's All-Decade Women's College Hoops Team

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The only ND name Jewell threw out was Achonwa. Stewie picked both Skylar and KMac.

Achonwa is also the only ND player about whom I can imagine Jewell offering unsolicited praise.
I like your list except for Kelsey Mitchell. Scored alot but her Ohio State teams were pushovers when it counted. I'd move Plum up to 2nd team and then sneak Arike on as the 3rd team SG.
I would have to go at least two more (maybe 3) deep before I'd get to Arike at SG. Tiffany Mitchell, Kmac, & Durr(?).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it's hard to pick a team for a decade. This focuses on 2010-19. How do you handle players whose careers overlap that period? For example, do you include all of Tina's career or only the 2009-10 season? Similarly, do you include 2019-20 for Sabrina and Satou? If the rule is to include the full career of anyone who played a season in the 2009-10 to 2018-19 period, that makes things clearer. It also increases the number of players. I think Stewie and Jewell list 12 players. What's our limit, 10, 12, 15?

Some no brainers: Maya, Griner, Nneka, Skylar, Elena. I'd add Tina, A'ja, Moriah, and KMac as well. Maybe Plum and Thomas too.

I like Jewell's recognition of Kaleena. Her limited success at the pro level colors our opinions, but she was a dominant player in college, with 3 championships (1 box-out from a 4th), an NCAA shooting record, and the prettiest shot in the pre-Azzi era. Defenses keyed on her even more than on Stewie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Second, they picked whom they knew and it centered -- primarily -- on players in/around their time
That certainly appears to be the case. To take a simple example, compare Napheesa Collier with KML. Statistically, with the sole exception of 3PT shooting, Collier dominates in every major category (and in most, it isn't even close). Napheesa was also a far better defender.

Reaction Score
I like Jewell's recognition of Kaleena. Her limited success at the pro level colors our opinions, but she was a dominant player in college, with 3 championships (1 box-out from a 4th), an NCAA shooting record, and the prettiest shot in the pre-Azzi era. Defenses keyed on her even more than on Stewie.

I also like the recognition. But as mentioned above, Napheesa trumps KML, and it isn't even close.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I also like the recognition. But as mentioned above, Napheesa trumps KML, and it isn't even close.

Players will gravitate to "Wow" games and Players who make singular plays that excite the crowds. Coaches will honor all around games and players that do the little things. Just a fact of life.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Jewell as team captain is pretty funny because I'm not sure she cracks my top 3 Notre Dame guards of the decade (Skylar, Arike, McBride).

Overall, the team skews heavily towards the era Stewie and Jewell played in, unsurprisingly.

But then they do manage one pick of extreme recency bias in Sabally.

Someone (maybe @nwhoopfan) can dispute me on this, but I feel like it was only last season that Sabally became the most talked about non-Ionescu Duck. It feels like for most of their careers, there was more buzz around Hebard.

Now let's see Napheesa and Arike's all decade team so that we can have one that's heavily skewed towards the last half of the decade!

Re Sabally: Stewie's comment--"She’s got the potential to be a really dominant pro"--is basically a version of what's been said in Eugene since she arrived. Whatever her success as a freshman, sophomore, or junior, there's always been a sense that there's a lot more to come--with her improvement year after year, together with her work ethic and (sometimes) breathtaking honesty about her current limitations proof that she will indeed come very close to reaching her enormous potential. I think that's why she was #2 in the draft and, also, why she's on this team. Hebard is (I think) much closer to being the player she can be, and she was certainly the most important Duck after Ionescu during her time in Eugene (Graves often called her the team's most important player, with Ionescu the team's best basketball player, and Sabally its most physically talented). But the promise of the Sabally of the 2019-20 season seems to have proved difficult to overlook.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would take Napheesa over Kaleena by a small margin. Phee scored 223 more points than Kaleena, who missed 12 games to a horrific elbow injury and mono. If not for the injury, Kaleena would have had just about Phee's 2,401 points. A lot of folks around here measure things by championships. Kaleena has 3, while Phee has 1.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with you on Phee. One obvious reason though was her defense. Phee was a more well-rounded player.

Reaction Score
I would take Napheesa over Kaleena by a small margin. Phee scored 223 more points than Kaleena, who missed 12 games to a horrific elbow injury and mono. If not for the injury, Kaleena would have had just about Phee's 2,401 points. A lot of folks around here measure things by championships. Kaleena has 3, while Phee has 1.
IMO can't measure this by championships though. You're only as good (or bad) as your team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I stayed away from this topic because I find these "celebrity selected lists" generally to have the look of contrived or silly. Having finally succumbed out of pure boredom, I find this exercise to have the look of both.

Reaction Score
Who's better, Russell or Jabbar? Williams or Musial? Manning or Brees? Shall we have an eternal conversation today?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Best part...

1591135579766.png

Lol, Well played Stewie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads