2023 Recruiting: - Stephon Castle Commits to UConn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Stephon Castle Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do the clips progress chronologically? As your video starts he shows promise but seems not as polished. As the clips go on he seems to mature and get more under control and play with more informed purpose. Am I seeing that correctly?

No... the beginning us AAU. End is last year's hs season.

Reaction Score
If you have 5 freshman NBA prospects playing for your school every year, wouldn’t ticket sales drop? I can’t imagine lifetime fans and alumni wanting to see that. Ideally the best of both worlds is to have 5 highly recruited starters who want hang around for a few years and get their degrees, and have a coaching staff who can make those players even better.
Yeah that's why Duke and Kentucky are usually playing in front of empty arenas

Reaction Score
From the article:

“ '[Hurley] told me he thinks I’m a one-and-done player so he’s going to push me to that standard,' Castle said."

Do we really want to be like Kentucky?
Half Baked Boo GIF

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you have 5 freshman NBA prospects playing for your school every year, wouldn’t ticket sales drop?ears and get their degrees, and have a coaching staff who can make those players even better.
That's a massive NO. If we had 5 freshman NBA prospects starting every year, they would have to bring back the season ticket waiting list!

Reaction Score
Trying to project the lottery picks for next years draft is challenging.
Trying to project the lottery picks for the 2024 NBA draft is near impossible.
Trying to project a 17 year old high school junior (who is not currently considered a top 10 player just within his own class) as a lottery pick in the 2024 NBA draft is lunacy.
If Stephon comes in and balls out his freshman year, thats exactly what any UConn fan would want. This isn't a "Kentucky" situation where UConn is stacking up on 2 or 3 of the top 10 recruits in a single recruiting class that will need to be replaced the next season. That scenario is becoming less and less likely for any school with the G league anyways.

Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton esque? Or am I off here. Big pg with a smooth game but not elite athleticism
Clips show him dunking with ease, good spring. Is he quick?

Reaction Score
He has good athleticism as did DHam. I’m just not sure it’s elite athleticism

DHam's athleticism was shockingly bad. Do you remember his combine numbers? They were shockingly bad.

Castle isn't as big or skilled, though probably a better shooter. DHam's IQ was on another level. It helped him make up for being a sub par athlete. I think Castle has a better frame with bigger shoulders and longer arms.

Reaction Score
Anyone see some Cade Cunningham in him?
That was the comparison someone from 247 Sports made on CBS Sports the day he committed. He made it clear that Castle wasn’t at Cade’s level, but that he was that type of player. There is probably someone here who can better speak to the appropriateness of that comparison.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Shoutout to the staff here for keeping this under wraps. Apparently he gave his verbal to Kimani on way to the airport.

They say KD committed on his visit, too.

I'm sure our staff kept working it till he announced and didn't want some nitwits on the Boneyard ruining things!

Reaction Score
They say KD committed on his visit, too.

I'm sure our staff kept working it till he announced and didn't want some nitwits on the Boneyard ruining things!
This stuff always seems to leak out. @NJHoops said they were really specific on how they wanted it to go, appears everyone really respected those wishes.
Even a lot of insiders didn’t seem to have anything confirmed. (Or didn’t share). Pretty impressive

Reaction Score
Still has more room to grow(physically) before he gets on campus.. Looks like he has the talent/size to be a 1/2/or 3
Have him leave high school now and get a head start in the S&C program

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score

“Stephon Castle – Newton County High School – 2023
Fresh off declaring his verbal commitment to UConn, Castle and company locked up a win versus Norcross in the House of Blue. It was a dominating team performance and Castle led the way with 22 points. The 6-6 guard is polished and explosive. He exhibits all the qualities that you would want to find in an elite prospect. He is skilled and can find his own shot late in the clock. At the same time, he shows a presence of mind to distribute and get others involved at all the right moments. Castle and the Rams made the case that they are the top team in the state at this moment.”

Reaction Score
That's a massive NO. If we had 5 freshman NBA prospects starting every year, they would have to bring back the season ticket waiting list!
Uh, yes and no. The general point I was making is college stars can’t depend on the NBA in coming years, they better get their degrees while they’re for free to fall back on, no one cares about the NBA anymore, it’s a dying league. Empty arenas, many of the franchises on life support, the big money for NBA players can’t go on indefinitely. The major networks have largely abandoned the NBA as the ratings are abysmal, if it wasn’t for ESPN propping the league up it would be in real trouble, and team owners are running out of cash. I myself have not watched an NBA regular season game or bought tickets in ten years. Only time I see the NBA now is when Sports Center shows highlights ad nauseam. I see the NBA going the way of arena football in the next 20 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uh, yes and no. The general point I was making is college stars can’t depend on the NBA in coming years, they better get their degrees while they’re for free to fall back on, no one cares about the NBA anymore, it’s a dying league. Empty arenas, many of the franchises on life support, the big money for NBA players can’t go on indefinitely. The major networks have largely abandoned the NBA as the ratings are abysmal, if it wasn’t for ESPN propping the league up it would be in real trouble, and team owners are running out of cash. I myself have not watched an NBA regular season game or bought tickets in ten years. Only time I see the NBA now is when Sports Center shows highlights ad nauseam. I see the NBA going the way of arena football in the next 20 years.

That article is from July 2020 and is referring to a temporary decrease in revenue due to covid. League revenue is actually expanding, which is especially true internationally.

Reaction Score
That article is from July 2020 and is referring to a temporary decrease in revenue due to covid. League revenue is actually expanding, which is especially true internationally.
Hahaha, nice try. League revenue and ratings and season ticket sales have steadily declined for the past 20 years. All COVID did was to hurry things along.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul