2023 Recruiting: - Stephon Castle Commits to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Stephon Castle Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do get the point. Kentucky has shown that it’s extremely difficult to win championships if you’re building teams around the very top players in their class who walk onto a college campus looking to get off of it and make money as quickly as possible. And it’s only true generational talents who as fresh will be able to lead teams to a championship. But:

1. I still think folks are giving too much importance to rankings, but most players who are the 26th best players in their class are not going pro after one year.

2. If the player is good enough, and is focused on contributing to the team while here, even if they don’t lead us to championships they should make the team better while here.

3. As others have shown, A player looking to move on after one year can still make a team of otherwise experienced players better. It requires good coaching to not evolve into a Drummond like situation where one player coming here to be a one and done triggers other players to be more concerned about their individual careers then winning, but this staff deserves our trust that they can handle this.

So does it matter than he’s 26th instead of 41st. Of course not. Those are both numbers that tell you the kids are projected to be future pros without being guaranteed important NBA players. But this was a good thing, and it reflects well on our staff that they were able to push the right buttons and make it happen.
And #4, getting players to the NBA pays off dividends in recruiting subsequent players.

Reaction Score
And #4, getting players to the NBA pays off dividends in recruiting subsequent players.
Right. The process becomes self-sustaining.

But, again, we're not going to be Kentucky. We'll be more like the late 00s early 10s Duke teams or later 10s Villanova teams. Or...if you will, our mid-00s UConn teams. Talented players staying for a few years paired with exceptional incoming guys.

Castle may be a one and done, but he isn't a kid ranked in the Top 10 where—almost no matter his performance—he has to go to the NBA after one year. Castle has to earn it where Wagner and Mgbako really don't.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The notion that we shouldn’t recruit a top player because of the likelihood that he will go pro before using his eligibility is silly. You get the best kids you can and when it’s time for them to go pro you wish them the best.

Reaction Score
I hope he goes to the NBA after 1 year because that means he’s really freaking good. And you know what type of players you get after multiple lottery picks? 5* guys. The NBA pipeline is starting to reopen again and I can’t wait to see our name next to Duke UK KU and UNC for the most active players in the NBA

Reaction Score
Just because DH says be thinks he can be a 1 year player doesn't make it a lock that he's a one and done. It's an aspirational goal. A hopeful projection, not a moral lock. Maybe he is ready after one. Maybe it takes 2 years to get him there. This is a good thing. Doesn't mean we are becoming Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Chandler Bing Friends GIF by Warner Channel

hurley-burly
[ˌhərlēˈbərlē]
NOUN
  1. busy, boisterous activity.
    "the hurley-burly of school life"

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The notion that we shouldn’t recruit a top player because of the likelihood that he will go pro before using his eligibility is silly. You get the best kids you can and when it’s time for them to go pro you wish them the best.

This is a terrible strategy. You're supposed to trash the kid on the way out, then go digging for gold up your nose. That's what I was taught by one particular coach.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
UConn is also recruiting Imhotep Charter (PA) wing Justin Edwards, who took an official visit to Kentucky this weekend.
Castle said he is working on recruiting Edwards to UConn.
Love the Imhotep kids, super tough, one of the best hoop programs in Philly.

Reaction Score
Just because DH says be thinks he can be a 1 year player doesn't make it a lock that he's a one and done. It's an aspirational goal. A hopeful projection, not a moral lock. Maybe he is ready after one. Maybe it takes 2 years to get him there. This is a good thing. Doesn't mean we are becoming Kentucky.
Has anyone ever heard Hurley say that about a recruit before though? I don’t ever remember him calling Bouk or Hawkins a one and done before they stepped on campus. He must really think Castle is going to be special for him to say that.

Reaction Score
Can't get it out of my head. A 6'7" point and 6'5" Corey Floyd at the 2. Floyd is so strong and Castle appears to be, as well. They will both be physical, fast, with plenty of speed. That backcourt will be a handful.
That picture of Hurley who was a point guard next to Castle the same position.

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever heard Hurley say that about a recruit before though? I don’t ever remember him calling Bouk or Hawkins a one and done before they stepped on campus. He must really think Castle is going to be special for him to say that.
One and done, no. But he talked about Bouknight, Akok, Jackson, Sanogo, Johnson all having the potential to leave after 2 years when they committed

Reaction Score
Hurley didn't tell the media that. He is not even allowed to publicly comment on the recruit until he is signed. The recruit said coach said that. We have no idea what DH has or hasn't said to other recruits during the recruiting process unless they offer it up like Stephon did. We also have no idea of the context of the comment. Could be that one year was mentioned as a potential possibility in a wide range of first year outcomes.

Reaction Score
Not to split hairs, but this is Stephon saying that Hurley said that. Am I saying that he’s lying? Of course not! I’m just willing to bet that one and done statement had some qualifiers after it. Dan would personally love to coach in an era where everyone stays four years and hardly anyone transfers, but that’s not even close to reality, so good staffs adjust. There’s a way to make competing for championships and getting guys to the NBA at the right pace compatible goals.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Right. The process becomes self-sustaining.

A A next But, again, we're not going to be Kentucky. We'll be more like the late 00s early 10s Duke teams or later 10s Villanova teams. Or...if you will, our mid-00s UConn teams. Talented players staying for a few years paired with exceptional incoming guys.

Castle may be a one and done, but he isn't a kid ranked in the Top 10 where—almost no matter his performance—he has to go to the NBA after one year. Castle has to earn it where Wagner and Mgbako really don't.
Yeah, but the question is whether or not you make real noise in the tournament if your best players are gone in a year or two. You definitely get the entertainment value when they are playing. Did, say Drummond do anything that really helped the program? It made a huge difference that Napier stayed in school. To me the whole long term value of getting great players who leave early so you can get a next great player whose eye is already on the door is an open question. I’m not saying don’t recruit that kind of player. Just not sure it’s that different from the Kentuckies of the world when it comes to success at the end of a season.

By the way, as you point out about Castle ( and I don’t know if he fits the description) , there are certainly kids who unpredictably are able to leave early because they perform at a high level so soon, and that’s great for them and cool to witness.

Reaction Score
This is just awesome. Who cares how long we have him for, just be happy we have him. Even if he was a one and done he will be a great rep for UConn/the coaches helping him getting to the NBA which is the end goal for these kids

Reaction Score
It’s hilarious to hear posters one day criticize Andre Jackson for not being nba ready the second he stepped on campus and the next day not want players who are able to go to the nba after their first years.
It’s pretty comical really. They want a pro from the get go who is willing to put millions of dollars on hold and potentially risk injury so that they can enjoy their favorite amateur team. Beyond the fact that this player is unlikely to exist, it’s incredibly selfish. Plus every one and done leads us to other highly skilled players many of which will stay around for multiple seasons. So yeah…

Reaction Score
Yeah, but the question is whether or not you make real noise in the tournament if your best players are gone in a year or two. You definitely get the entertainment value when they are playing. Did, say Drummond do anything that really helped the program? It made a huge difference that Napier stayed in school.
Oh, I agree. But it's not like Kentucky hasn't made noise in the tournament.

Schools that have won titles in the last 10 tournaments:

Villanova: 2
UConn: 2
Baylor: 1
UNC: 1
Virginia: 1
Kentucky: 1
Duke: 1
Vacated: 1

Only two teams have won more than once. Every school on this list—sans UConn—has had deep runs in addition to a title. Kentucky has done as well as just about anyone, and by most metrics better.

Reaction Score
Part of the appeal of playing for Hurley is he always puts the player's best interest first. If Castle plays himself into the lottery after his freshman year, without question Hurley will encourage him to make the jump. Any great coach would.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I for one, wish for recruits that aspire to be fry cooks and librarians. They understand the bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom