2023 Recruiting: Stephon Castle Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
domino GIF
Last time I was close to this excited was Akok:s announcement

pj

Reaction Score
i am admittedly not as knowledgable as most. He says Hurley told him that he would push him to the standard he needed to be. That being a one and done. So we get a 19 yr old for one year. I am not overly excited about this. I must be missing something.

You're missing that the purpose of college is to prepare young people for the next step; the purpose of college basketball is to prepare players for the NBA, if possible. If Hurley can get him there in one year, Hurley is excelling at his job. You can't ask for more than that.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Not sure I’d qualify what I wrote as talking shi but to each their own.
you're right. seemed more like condescension than shittalk. i guess i'm still a little nervous about how our guys show up in the first 20 minutes against real competition. if we don't dig early holes against good teams, i'm feeling pretty good about this squad!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

“I could just tell Coach Hurley was not afraid to coach me,” said Castle. “He is going to coach me to be a professional in the sport.”

Now that the Huskies have their guard of the future locked in, the staff now plans to focus on pursuing frontcourt talent in Taylor Bol Bowen, Akil Watson, Isaiah Miranda, and other potential prospects.

When asked what Husky fans should expect from him on the floor, Castle responded saying, “They expect for me to play hard every single possession in every game and they can expect for our team to make it far in the tournament.”

Reaction Score
Based on the description of his game, he sounds more like a 1 who can slide over to the 2. Some of UConn's best teams had 2 point/combo guards side by side.

What I like a lot about Castle is his size and his ability to defend multiple positions. It will allow for switching on high screens.

Sounds like we got an outstanding player.

Reaction Score
UConn is× also recruiting Imhotep Charter (PA) wing Justin Edwards, who took an official visit to Kentucky this weekend.
Castle said he is working on recruiting Edwards to UConn.
It's going to be a huge class in terms of kids they are bringing in and in terms of rankings.
!!! Do we have enough spots for a 5 man class?

PG: Castle
SG: Edwards
SF: Griffiths
PF: Bowen
C: Miranda/Bradshaw
You're speaking my language.

Reaction Score

-> “The environment, the coaching staff,” Castle told Hearst Connecticut Media of his reasons for choosing UConn. “They really made me feel like family.”

Castle was thought to be an Auburn lean prior to his official visit to Storrs two weeks ago. Associate head coach Kimani Young, the rest of the Huskies’ staff and Castle’s father, Stacey, arranged to have Castle’s grandmother, Ann James, surprise Stephon and his mother, Quannette, while on the visit. Stephon hadn’t seen James, who lives in New York, since before the pandemic hit in March, 2020.

“It was crazy,” Stephon told Hearst Connecticut Media after the visit. “I was shocked and happy to see her.”<-

-> “To me, it’s the small things, it’s all about relationships,” Quannette said shortly after the visit. “I just felt like that was very thoughtful for them to think ‘Hey, it’s his birthday. (They) live so far away and (they’re) right here in Connecticut. Let’s go ahead and try to bring his grandma there.’ It makes me feel like family. It’s definitely Stephon’s decision, (but) they are recruiting all of us.” <-

Reaction Score

“I could just tell Coach Hurley was not afraid to coach me,” said Castle. “He is going to coach me to be a professional in the sport.”

Now that the Huskies have their guard of the future locked in, the staff now plans to focus on pursuing frontcourt talent in Taylor Bol Bowen, Akil Watson, Isaiah Miranda, and other potential prospects.

When asked what Husky fans should expect from him on the floor, Castle responded saying, “They expect for me to play hard every single possession in every game and they can expect for our team to make it far in the tournament.”

That's the kind of player you want. And that's the kind of coach you want too.

Reaction Score
Based on the description of his game, he sounds more like a 1 who can slide over to the 2. Some of UConn's best teams had 2 point/combo guards side by side.

What I like a lot about Castle is his size and his ability to defend multiple positions. It will allow for switching on high screens.

Sounds like we got an outstanding player.
Who is this poster @DogMania? Welcome back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom