Starting lineup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting lineup

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I would start a player returning from an "extended" injury. The bodies are limited so playing time will be had.
Not only that, by the time they DO get back it will be late in the season! Neither is game ready. We saw how long it was taking Caroline to get back (and she still was not there), when she reinjured herself! Keep the team AS IS! It works!

Reaction Score
I have an idea! Ya know how they have 'mayor for a day' in some communities? Well, we could have coach for a day, with TBY taking charge while Geno relaxes! (It would also provide job security for Geno and CD!). :D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She's been injured twice this year...so why rush her back into 30-minute games right away? Ease her back in. The remaining schedule just doesn't warrant the risk.
I actually like the idea of bringing a shooter in as the first sub. It usually takes a bit for the other team to recognize and adjust.

Reaction Score
Deacon, private chat me as I want to bet BIG MONEY that Nika will NOT come off the bench. Geno likes her energy, intensity and what she brings to this team. As noted when Geno first inserted her into the line-up, she just brings too many intangibles to this team. Plus you are going to sit the one ball player who controls the game pace AND is the leading NCAA assist leader? I don't think so.
Sorry, but if zero injuries had occurred, our starting lineup would most likely be Paige, Azzi, Lou, Caroline/Aubrey, and Aaliyah. Nika, Caroline/Aubrey, Dorka/Ice would be first off the bench. The Caroline/Aubrey choice would be based on the opponent and whether we need offense or defense most. Occasional changes would occur based on potential matchups.
Makes my heart hurt to think about the offensive firepower we would have had with two elite defenders ready to come in and shut down any opposing player obstreperous enough to give us any problems! They’d probably score 70 in the first half and then let the bench play most of the second half!:)

Reaction Score
I'm saying THIS offence is running great now. Don't tamper with it. Let Fudd work her way in from the bench. I suspect Geno is considering exactly that.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but if zero injuries had occurred, our starting lineup would most likely be Paige, Azzi, Lou, Caroline/Aubrey, and Aaliyah. Nika, Caroline/Aubrey, Dorka/Ice would be first off the bench. The Caroline/Aubrey choice would be based on the opponent and whether we need offense or defense most. Occasional changes would occur based on potential matchups.
Makes my heart hurt to think about the offensive firepower we would have had with two elite defenders ready to come in and shut down any opposing player obstreperous enough to give us any problems! They’d probably score 70 in the first half and then let the bench play most of the second half!:)
I think that Nika is a fixture now at PG, because she sets a high pace on O and slows the pace of the opposing PG on D. This should hold true even with a fully healthy Uconn going into next year, i.e. Bueckers and Fudd will be the wings, and Carolyn and Aubry will be swing (at the 3 or 4) as core rotation players, or starters even on go-small lineups. KK may be ready to back-up Muhl at PG, when/if ready but, if not, Paige slides over to PG to when Muhl out. Edwards is a fixture at the 4/5, and Jana, Brady, Patterson, Debarri can figure out who else fills at the 5/4. Shade may be ready sooner than later to grab a few minutes and the other freshman will be more of a development project

Reaction Score
'All those assists that Nika's piling up could as well have been accomplished by Paige and/or Azzi, Lou, Dorka and Aaliyah'.
Has anybody in Uconn wcbb history averaged what Nika is averaging this season in assists/game? Rhetorical question, no need to respond. Yeah, I'm sure Nika just gets all her assists because she happens to be the 'extra guy out there', nothing to do with her skills
th-341181945.jpeg

When Azzi comes back this season at some point she will take Aubrey's spot in the starting lineup. Next Season Nika will start with Paige and Azzi. I thought you were coming around The deacon to accept what Nika brings to this team - must have been mistaken.

JBK

Reaction Score
Is Azzi just another shooter? How about a great shooter, great foul shooter, great pick and roll partner, fine passer, and better than average defender............:)
Agreed. Azzi has player of the year potential and one of the most talented in all aspects of the game.
She will not sit if healthy

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yes, Geno said that, but when it came time in the tournament, it was Paige and Azzi, and not Nika, who were getting the minutes. That four-guard lineup without Dorka surely would be fun to watch, but would be mighty small, with Lou the second tallest player at 6'1". Fun to fantasize about, for sure.
Maybe that is one of the reasons why we got blown out, no pressure by a defensive PG.

Reaction Score
Deacon, private chat me as I want to bet BIG MONEY that Nika will NOT come off the bench. Geno likes her energy, intensity and what she brings to this team. As noted when Geno first inserted her into the line-up, she just brings too many intangibles to this team. Plus you are going to sit the one ball player who controls the game pace AND is the leading NCAA assist leader? I don't think so.
I don't bet on games, DefenseBB, and I'm not about to bet on the starting lineup, especially since the odds are extremely high against Geno having all these options available. I thought this was just about having a friendly discussion. But thanks for the offer the chat.

As for Nika being the NCAA assist leader, that's very impressive. Conjecturing, Paige might not have as many assists if she were the Huskies point guard this season, but she'd be darned close to it, and she'd also be scoring 12-15 points per game more than Nika. Paige averaged nearly 6 assists per game as a freshman when she had lesser offensive weapons to feed than Nika has this season.

Has anybody in Uconn wcbb history averaged what Nika is averaging this season in assists/game? Rhetorical question, no need to respond. Yeah, I'm sure Nika just gets all her assists because she happens to be the 'extra guy out there', nothing to do with her skills View attachment 83524

When Azzi comes back this season at some point she will take Aubrey's spot in the starting lineup. Next Season Nika will start with Paige and Azzi. I thought you were coming around The deacon to accept what Nika brings to this team - must have been mistaken.
It isn't a matter of 'coming around, #12in21. I have always admired the positives Nika brings to the Huskies and am so thankful she's on the team. However, believing the team could be even better with some other combination of players starting is not a knock on Nika. It's more a recognition of the superb skills of those players who'd start before her.

If some of you insist on calling that 'hating on Nika,' that's your cross to bear. I am most appreciative Nika's on the team and understand that, with all the injuries, the Huskies are darned lucky to have her.

Reaction Score
Fudd's FG% is 53%, Aubrey's is 59%. Both are excellent at the free throw line. Fudd takes more long range shots and has the better 3FG% 43 to 34% and is also the better passer as you say that turns the ball over at a lower rate. Aubrey is the better defender with more steals, and is just a few rebounds away from overtaking Dorka as the second best rebounder on the team. Aubrey is also the fastest player and best at running in transition.
I think there is another point to consider when comparing Azzi and Aubrey - who will demand more attention from the defense. Clearly that player is Azzi which will open up more good opportunities for Lou and others. When Azzi returns we’ll hear a big sigh of relief from Lou.

Reaction Score
Only my opinion but I don't think azzi comes back hundred percent till next year. Hope I'm wrong. But it's nice seeing this group of kids playing there buts off. I'm more concerned about Caroline head injury. When its tournament time. We will only go 7 players. This group has the discipline to win it all. If we have Azzi and Caroline in some capacity its a great bonus.

Reaction Score
I think that Nika is a fixture now at PG, because she sets a high pace on O and slows the pace of the opposing PG on D. This should hold true even with a fully healthy Uconn going into next year, i.e. Bueckers and Fudd will be the wings, and Carolyn and Aubry will be swing (at the 3 or 4) as core rotation players, or starters even on go-small lineups. KK may be ready to back-up Muhl at PG, when/if ready but, if not, Paige slides over to PG to when Muhl out. Edwards is a fixture at the 4/5, and Jana, Brady, Patterson, Debarri can figure out who else fills at the 5/4. Shade may be ready sooner than later to grab a few minutes and the other freshman will be more of a development project
Agree with this. I don't think next year's starting lineup is much of a question at all. Nika, Azzi, Paige and Aaliyah are locks to me although many will disagree. That is a tremendous foursome with a good mix of skills. The C or 5 position is the big question mark. I prefer Aaliyah at her natural position, so I don't want to see Ayanna or Aubrey at the 4 and Aaliyah the 5. Those players should be in the mix for Aaliyah's backup minutes.

Hopefully two from Ice, Janna and Amari, can handle the 5 position minutes, probably Ice and Janna. We have talented candidates for there, but of course they are all inexperienced and unproven, so they may not be really good right away.

Aubrey and Caroline should get significant minutes potentially being backup candidates for four positions. They are big enough that in a pinch they could play the 4, although they won't need to if Ayanna settles in as a very good backup 4. They could easily move into the 2 or 3, but of course there will not be many backup minutes there behind Azzi and Paige, and they could also both be candidates to come in for Nika, but they would not play the point, as you mention Paige would just slide over to the point.

I don't see Ashlynn getting rotation minutes unless there are injuries, and as for KK if she is very very good right away, she could get the Nika backup minutes and Paige stays as a wing, but for that scenario to happen you would have to prefer KK being in the game to either Caroline or Aubrey. That is a pretty high bar to achieve playing time for her.

In theory we could have players at the 1-3 positions featuring outstanding traits. Imagine the passing if you combined Nika, Paige and KK. The shooting if it was Paige, Azzi and Caroline. Or the defense if we moved Ayanna to the 3 and paired her with Aubrey and Nika. That would also be an incredible rebounding unit. KK, Paige and Azzi would have three players that could easily create their own shot.

If everybody is healthy there are so many interesting combinations. With Aaliyah looking like an All American at the 4, and presumably Ayanna ready to be a star backup, the 4 spot is more than covered. Even if Ayanna isn't quite where we hope she will be Caroline and Aubrey are small ball options and the bigs we are counting on at the 5 like Ice and Janna could help there if we need more size.

Everything looks loaded, just the uncertainty at the 5, but even there the potential looks good, it is just young and unproven. If someone can be good there, the other positions should be exceptional.

Reaction Score
If Azzi comes back, I think she will start. Her minutes will be limited but she can start and then rest more. Also, Aubrey’s skill set makes her a perfect sixth player, while Fudd contributes more to a half court set.

Reaction Score
Maybe that is one of the reasons why we got blown out, no pressure by a defensive PG.
More like no toughness on the court, Senechal said it last night‘s press conference, Tennessee punched them in the mouth in the 2nd qtr and the team vowed the 2nd half would be different, and it was. I would put money on which player was leading that discussion.
Uconn had no one willing to punch back against SC, ergo, they were really never in the game. Pretty much was the same the year before against Arizona. I know many disagree with that notion but there is much, much more to the game of basketball than what you can read in a box score.

Reaction Score
I don't bet on games, DefenseBB, and I'm not about to bet on the starting lineup, especially since the odds are extremely high against Geno having all these options available. I thought this was just about having a friendly discussion. But thanks for the offer the chat.

As for Nika being the NCAA assist leader, that's very impressive. Conjecturing, Paige might not have as many assists if she were the Huskies point guard this season, but she'd be darned close to it, and she'd also be scoring 12-15 points per game more than Nika. Paige averaged nearly 6 assists per game as a freshman when she had lesser offensive weapons to feed than Nika has this season.

It isn't a matter of 'coming around, #12in21. I have always admired the positives Nika brings to the Huskies and am so thankful she's on the team. However, believing the team could be even better with some other combination of players starting is not a knock on Nika. It's more a recognition of the superb skills of those players who'd start before her.

If some of you insist on calling that 'hating on Nika,' that's your cross to bear. I am most appreciative Nika's on the team and understand that, with all the injuries, the Huskies are darned lucky to have her.
Don’t count me among those that you suggest insist on calling your posts as “ hating on Nika”. I simply believe you devalue Nika’s importance to this team. As Geno said Nika is ‘Unique’ and I believe his take on her value is closer to the views I’ve expressed than those you have. Your final sentence above…’with all the injuries, the Huskies are darned lucky to have her’ kind of is the crux of our difference of opinions. I would skip your first four words…the Huskies are darned lucky to have her.

I would be shocked if when Azzi is back full time this season, Geno plays her at point quard and significantly reduces Nika’s playing time. And equally shocked if next season, with both Paige and Azzi healthy that Nika is reduced to a back up role. I think we’ll see Nika as the starting point guard in both scenarios, feeding both those generational talents and as the head of the snake on our defense.

We’ll just have to disagree and wait to see how it all plays out.

Reaction Score
Terrible idea. Nika's not only an elite point guard she's the only real point guard. The team would languish without her.
Last time I checked we had/have a Lieberman award winning in point guard on our team. Your statement is, with all due respect, ludicrous! You may think, erroneously, in my view, that Nika is better than Paige, but she’s obviously not the “only real point guard.” What is Ines? You are certainly free to think Nika is simply indispensable at that position, but there’s no need to change Paige’s position in order to justify it.

Reaction Score
Last time I checked we had/have a Lieberman award winning in point guard on our team. Your statement is, with all due respect, ludicrous! You may think, erroneously, in my view, that Nika is better than Paige, but she’s obviously not the “only real point guard.” What is Ines? You are certainly free to think Nika is simply indispensable at that position, but there’s no need to change Paige’s position in order to justify it.
Last time I checked Paige was out for the season which, with all due respect, makes your criticism ludicrous.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, Geno said that, but when it came time in the tournament, it was Paige and Azzi, and not Nika, who were getting the minutes.
Last year, yes. This year, Nika is a different player.

No way Paige would average 10 assists a game AND score the way she did. Last year Geno needed Paige’s scoring and that’s simply not the case this year Now with Nika, Lou, and Azzi on the court, Nika can average 15 assists a game and both Paige and Azzi can average 20 ppg

Reaction Score
I actually like the idea of bringing a shooter in as the first sub. It usually takes a bit for the other team to recognize and adjust.
Well, maybe if Azzi put her hair in a bun instead of braids and sub'ed in for Aubrey the other team wouldn't notice. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom