Stanford Next Year | The Boneyard

Stanford Next Year

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
https://www.sfchronicle.com/college..._source=post original url&utm_medium=referral

IMO Fran Belibi will have a year similar that Olivia had. She's not ready for the Rigors of the College Game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO Fran Belibi will have a year similar that Olivia had. She's not ready for the Rigors of the College Game.
I would disagree. Belibi has a level of athleticism that is very hard to match up with. She is going to be productive just because she can get up and down and jump higher that just about everyone else. At Stanford she will have plenty of people to get her the ball when she's running the floor. At USA basketball she also showed a surprising ability to pass the ball out the low/ mid post. She ended up having just 1 less assist than Boston who played significantly more minutes. Tara is also coaching her so she'll get better.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

I think Stanford will have a Final 4 type of year. I think that Belibi will take some time to develop, similar to the UCLA girl Onyenwere

IMHO, they're all very different players, although Onyenwere is a good reference point for Belibi because they both "play taller" than they are. But I don't think ONO and Belibi are good comparisons. ONO is a lot taller and less athletic/mobile than Belibi. ONO is much more of an old-school true post player. Belibi is a forward who likes to attack the basket from the high post and is a slightly better passer, IMHO. I also think Belibi is more comfortable in a transition offense. ONO is better on the box out and plays a much more classic 5 game. Her height also means she's a much more reliable block threat.

I think Onyenwere has developed very rapidly - by her sophomore year, she was already leading UCLA in scoring, rebounds and blocks. She was also named to All-PAC 12 as as sophomore. With the exception of program-changing players like Sabrina Ionescu or Chiney Ogwumike, that's about as rapid as you can get.

I would disagree. Belibi has a level of athleticism that is very hard to match up with. She is going to be productive just because she can get up and down and jump higher that just about everyone else. At Stanford she will have plenty of people to get her the ball when she's running the floor. At USA basketball she also show a surprising ability to pass the ball out the low/ mid post. She ended up having just 1 less assist than Boston who played significantly more minutes. Tara is also coaching her so she'll get better.
THIS. Belibi had the most assists on her West team in the McD's All-American game even though she wasn't even close to playing a guard role. Her inside out passes were great. To me, Belibi's frosh goals should be:
1. Work on boxing out. She's a springy rebounder but she could improve her spacing under the basket.
2. Develop a consistent outside shot. She doesn't need to be banking treys at .400, but in a Princeton offense where she'll probably play the 4 more than the 5, and therefore often be around the high post, having a solid outside shot will force defenses to keep her honest. She may have it, but her highlight reels mostly show her underneath the hoop. In Stanford's offense, she'll need to be an offensive threat outside the paint to maximize her potential.
3. Work a bit on her footwork. She can be a little, for lack of a better word, clumsy in her movement. Getting a bit more crisp in her footwork will help her make the most of fast break opportunities and cuts to the basket from the elbow.

Just my two cents. Can't wait to see her in Cardinal red.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m interested to see how all those players are kept happy minute wise. Lot of talent from 1-15.
Wondering about Stanford's history of keeping lots of talent happy under Tara.

My sense is that they don't have very many transfers, esp. if the player hasn't graduated. Lilli Thompson was a grad transfer IIRC. If Sniezek goes, it will be with her degree, right? I would expect that the kind of player who goes to Stanford is one who values the degree, or whose family values the degree a lot.

But maybe I've just forgotten about a bunch of them because they're not obsessed over as much online.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
My sense is that they don't have very many transfers, esp. if the player hasn't graduated. Lilli Thompson was a grad transfer IIRC. If Sniezek goes, it will be with her degree, right? I would expect that the kind of player who goes to Stanford is one who values the degree, or whose family values the degree a lot.

But maybe I've just forgotten about a bunch of them because they're not obsessed over as much online.

The only pre-graduation transfers I am aware of are Taylor Rooks (recruiting class of 2014), who transferred to Harvard after her freshman year (and who was a grad transfer to Michigan this season), and Jamie Carey (who played in the late 1990s/early 2000s), who transferred to Texas after Stanford doctors wouldn't medically clear her to play again after several concussions - Texas doctors would. She went on to play in the WNBA for several seasons after graduation.

The only transfer in that I can recall is Brooke Smith (recruiting class of 2002), who had turned down Stanford out of high school and then transferred from Duke. She was from the Bay Area, and wanted to be closer to home. Stanford accepts between 0-50 transfers per year total, so athlete transfers of any kind are very uncommon.

As to the question of playing time, Tara has been playing her bench much more this season as the differential between the bench and the starting 5 has narrowed in recent years. In a Princeton offense that is relatively positionless, I could see her opting for the more liberal substitution style that CTT runs at ASU. On the other hand, for whatever reason, frosh have historically not gotten a lot of playing time at Stanford, so I don't think many players come to the Farm thinking they should get to start on day one.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In a Princeton offense that is relatively positionless, I could see her opting for the more liberal substitution style that CTT runs at ASU.

I can't see that. CTT is fairly unique in that regard. Hockey line substitutions and multiple subs at just about every dead ball.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I can't see that. CTT is fairly unique in that regard. Hockey line substitutions and multiple subs at just about every dead ball.
Yeah I didn't mean that far, but I just meant substituting beyond fouls or several poor plays in a row. This season is the first time in a long time that I can remember Tara subbing so many players in and out not based on performance or fouls. Kiana Williams was the only player to average over 30 minutes per game, and we didn't have a strong backup PG so she was essentially on the floor any time we didn't have a 20 point lead. We had 10 players who averaged more than 10 minutes a game, and we didn't have many blowout wins this season as compared to the past. That is very unusual for Tara's typical style.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’m interested to see how all those players are kept happy minute wise. Lot of talent from 1-15.

No one is going to transfer and give up a Stanford education. Stanford utilizes a deep rotation so I wouldn't be surprised if they go 9-10 deep most nights. Deep bench players like Moschkau and Brewer likely chose Stanford knowing they were long shots to ever play meaningful minutes and wont be upset taking a supporting role (similar to Irwin and Bent).

Reaction Score
IMHO, they're all very different players, although Onyenwere is a good reference point for Belibi because they both "play taller" than they are. But I don't think ONO and Belibi are good comparisons. ONO is a lot taller and less athletic/mobile than Belibi. ONO is much more of an old-school true post player. Belibi is a forward who likes to attack the basket from the high post and is a slightly better passer, IMHO. I also think Belibi is more comfortable in a transition offense. ONO is better on the box out and plays a much more classic 5 game. Her height also means she's a much more reliable block threat.

I think Onyenwere has developed very rapidly - by her sophomore year, she was already leading UCLA in scoring, rebounds and blocks. She was also named to All-PAC 12 as as sophomore. With the exception of program-changing players like Sabrina Ionescu or Chiney Ogwumike, that's about as rapid as you can get.

THIS. Belibi had the most assists on her West team in the McD's All-American game even though she wasn't even close to playing a guard role. Her inside out passes were great. To me, Belibi's frosh goals should be:
1. Work on boxing out. She's a springy rebounder but she could improve her spacing under the basket.
2. Develop a consistent outside shot. She doesn't need to be banking treys at .400, but in a Princeton offense where she'll probably play the 4 more than the 5, and therefore often be around the high post, having a solid outside shot will force defenses to keep her honest. She may have it, but her highlight reels mostly show her underneath the hoop. In Stanford's offense, she'll need to be an offensive threat outside the paint to maximize her potential.
3. Work a bit on her footwork. She can be a little, for lack of a better word, clumsy in her movement. Getting a bit more crisp in her footwork will help her make the most of fast break opportunities and cuts to the basket from the elbow.

Just my two cents. Can't wait to see her in Cardinal red.

You left out
4. Work on dunking in the games. That could help bring a potentially viral level of interest to the women’s game.

Reaction Score
No one is going to transfer and give up a Stanford education. Stanford utilizes a deep rotation so I wouldn't be surprised if they go 9-10 deep most nights. Deep bench players like Moschkau and Brewer likely chose Stanford knowing they were long shots to ever play meaningful minutes and wont be upset taking a supporting role (similar to Irwin and Bent).
One must be crazy and full of themselves if they ever decide to LEAVE a Stanford education (I do understand for graduate programs though). It’s so blatant if a recruit chooses Stanford that academics is the top priority for them so I can understand why a player like Haley Jones or Chiney Ogwumike (whom Geno recruited) would select them over other schools. No diss or shade though to players though who did choose other schools over Stanford (ex. Lou, Skyler Diggins, etc.)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
One must be crazy and full of themselves if they ever decide to LEAVE a Stanford education (I do understand for graduate programs though). It’s so blatant if a recruit chooses Stanford that academics is the top priority for them so I can understand why a player like Haley Jones or Chiney Ogwumike (whom Geno recruited) would select them over other schools. No diss or shade though to players though who did choose other schools over Stanford (ex. Lou, Skyler Diggins, etc.)

ND is another program where players rarely leave, probably also due to academic prestige. The only transfers prior to earning their degree I've found have been Patberg/Boley. Taya Reimer finished her degree in 3 years before leaving.

Reaction Score
Diggins getting a degree from ND isn’t to shabby.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom