St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Well, you are kind of proving my point; you seem to want to brush off the major impact she had on the game because she didn’t score. As for the tournament, if teams decide to scheme to stop particular players, it is not like they are going to change their minds because Westbrook or Muhl take a couple more shots in games that very likely will not be close. Right now, scheming will obviously focus on Bueckers, teams already don‘t cover Ono unless she posts up and pretty much give Williams all the three‘s she wants. IMO, Uconn will win or lose based on their defense, not their offense.
You misunderstood. I said she makes a large impact just with her floor game. That plus her leadership is why she is on the court. We are very lucky to have her. She actually is very talented offensively. I am saying something different. If you don't shoot regularly, when it comes to a game or game where you have to shoot, it becomes an issue. That is why I raised the confidence question. She seems to have deferred more than usual in the last several games. We are going to play teams in the tourney that are going to be able to score on us and we have to score also to win. You will not be able to shut down an NC State or a Louisville or a Stanford with your defense like you can a St. John's or Xavier. Notice I left Georgetown out because of the first half of our last game with them where our offense then was very stalled and our defense was not like it was against the Johnnies. In order to offset the other team's scoring, we have to have 5 players involved in the offense. That means if Paige is doubled or tripled and there is a kick, we can hit the shot and that the other players are a threat to keep their defense honest. Of course they are still going to do what you say when defending our 3 main scorers but the issue is will Nika and Evina be effective when they are the open ones to shoot. I think they can't wait until then but have to consistently shoot now during these other games. If you think it is not a potential problem to have Nika and Evina not shooting and scoring then I just disagree.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
So, maybe, Westbrook realized how important it is to have that type of glue player to maximize team performance and consciously filled that void; emphasis on maybe. Anyway, many fans count points and decide if a player had a good game or not. Case in point, Williams vs. St. John’s; BY FAR the most impressive part of that game was her defense on Correa; she was committed to stopping her from the jump and completely took her out of the game. Hopefully that commitment becomes her MO, if so that bodes very well going into the tournament; offense can come and go, defense should be forever.
It wasn't just CW who guarded Correa, Paige also was very good in stopping her. Correa may have gone scoreless if it hadn't been for the sloppy pass that Evina had when she tried to get the ball to Liv. Correa got her only 2 points on the breakaway steal.

Reaction Score
It wasn't just CW who guarded Correa, Paige also was very good in stopping her. Correa may have gone scoreless if it hadn't been for the sloppy pass that Evina had when she tried to get the ball to Liv. Correa got her only 2 points on the breakaway steal.
You know, I am going to give up; Williams covered Correa, Auriemma commented it was her assignment in his post game. Yes, Uconn sometimes switched and Muhl, Westbrook and Bueckers also covered her at times, as I am sure so did Ono or Griffin and Edwards. But yes, let’s make sure a thread doesn’t go by without Bueckers being given credit for something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom