St Johns Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the St John’s game:
  • A few days off sure makes a world of difference.
  • This was the 1st of 4 road games for UConn. While none of these opponents will challenge the Huskies, UConn needs to use these games to clean up their execution, firm up the rotation and build to the conference tournament and Big Dance.
  • Not sure just how to characterize UConn’s offense at the start of games, but man do these Huskies play some tough defense, and right now that defense is giving UConn opponents nightmares. Correa, St John’s top player, went 1/10 with 4 TO's.
  • If Liv can knock down mid-range shots and an occasional 3, like she did tonight, it takes UConn to another level, opening the lane for Christyn, Paige, E, Aubrey & Aaliyah.
  • Christyn passed up two shots to start the game, but once she started shooting and making shots, she transformed into a scoring machine. We need to see more of that Christyn Williams.
  • In addition to everything else she does, Paige is unbelievably efficient. Tonight she had 20 points on 10 shots with 9 assists and only 1 turnover. I suppose you can make a case for someone else as the NPOY, but I certainly won't.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My $.02

I always worry when Christyn comes out and hits a 3 - it "seems" like she then fancies herself a 3 point shooter and bombs away. NOT today. Took four 3's, made 3, and scored 21 points in other ways. Nice all around game for her and good energy. Not thrilled with her 5 TO's, but a step in the right direction. Hopefully keeps up this kind of performance consistently... And she played some great D on Correa.

Nice to see Liv do what Liv does. Both she and CW were 8-11. Personally, I have no qualms about Liv taking a 3 point shot - we were up 15+ at the time, and it was not a wasted shot even if she missed.

Weird game for Evina - 0 points but 7 assists, 8 boards, 2 steals and a block. Not sure how many minutes she played, but if her body is giving her issues, would rather see her play less minutes in a meaningless game like this.

Not a great game for Nika, but she can't be great every game. Picked up those 2 fouls early on so maybe that threw her off.

NPOY (I mean Paige) almost had a double double with 20 points and 9 assists. Only took 10 shots. UCONN as a team only took 51 shots. Very efficient 65% shooting today. I guess Paige was feeding others today, but would still rather see her take 15+ shots every game.

The offense sure slows down when Paige is out. It's a testament to her greatness.

Loved seeing Liya score double figures.

Was Mir in the doghouse? Literally played 1 minute, came in after Saylor - YIKES.

And Saylor did more today than just jack up 3's. Getting her experience and learning a ton I'm sure... Some nice moves on offense.

Q4 was a grind - we only scored 11, but they only scored 3. YIKES. We beat SJU by 32 last game and were up 31 at the half in this game. Quite the improvement. Really clamped down on Correa which was nice to see. Went from 33 points last game to 2!!!!!

A happy Geno is very nice to see! Wish he sported the headband tho!!!

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I am just waiting for the negativity. This was an outstanding game all around but I am sure the nit picking will be arriving.

I am glad that Saylor was moving around on offense and showed us she has a left handed shot when close to the basket.

Reaction Score
Offense clicking tonight and defense even better. CW player of game. All the things we wanted to see tonight. Yes!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Player of the Game: Christyn Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Important game or her coming in, and she knew it.

Had a rough first couple of minutes. She could have folded it up and gone to wherever she's been going but she sucked it up and had a great game, her game, her strengths.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Pretty nice night all around with a couple things still to work on. I think Geno's flipping the switch to late season mode if not post-season mode.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Excellent game.

The rest was needed. Set for the final run of the regular season.

Defense was aggressive. Completely took St. John's out of their game plan and quickly. Correa a non factor.

Offense took St. John's out of their defensive plan to pack the paint. Liv's foul line shot, the side of the key shot and the 3 killed it. After that things started to open up. 26 assists on 33 buckets. WOW.

Paige, Christyn, Liv and Aaliyah with double figures.

Christyn the Player of the Game. But more importantly, she has changed her game. She is a more complete and more dangerous player than the start of the season.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom