St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
They played like a UConn team tonight and there aren’t many complaints. I do have one. Nika Muhl needs to stop with the no look passes every play. She also passes and puts her teammates in bad positions. She needs to think before passing for the sake of passing.
Points taken. I think she needs to take it to the basket and finish more often--make herself a threat.

Reaction Score
I said sub-sub. My code for subs after the regular subs
Sorry, I missed that, but I still wouldn't have known what it meant. I will next time! :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nika, like Anna, has lost confidence in her shot. On defense, when she's out past the circle, she's too tight in coverage. Unless they're going to shoot a 3, take a step back. Tighten coverage when they make their move. Great team effort.

Reaction Score
A few more things on my mind. Saylor definitely isn’t a guard and why was Mir put in so late, she is a borderline rotation player at least rebounding and defensively.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A few more things on my mind. Saylor definitely isn’t a guard and why was Mir put in so late, she is a borderline rotation player at least rebounding and defensively.
Guessing Mir is not practicing up to standards. I think the other problem is that she overlaps very much Aubreys skill set and Aubrey is a little better in everything and Geno probably needs to find as many minutes for Aubrey as he can. ???

Reaction Score
Agree with everyone. This really felt almost like a 2016 game... Nika's resistance to shoot but instead throw her teammates under the bus with awkward passes is mindboggling. I thought Piath really did some good things with her couple minutes.

Reaction Score
Guessing Mir is not practicing up to standards. I think the other problem is that she overlaps very much Aubreys skill set and Aubrey is a little better in everything and Geno probably needs to find as many minutes for Aubrey as he can. ???
Yes I do think we need our main players getting in minutes in this weird season for cohesion and that is the only reason Mir should be the last one in.

Reaction Score
If we can have players on any given night scoring 15- 20 each
And someone else scoring 10 points

we will literally be unstoppable!!!
We need the playing from tonight to happen for the next 4 games then steamroll the Big East tournament

then let this all ride into the NCAA tournament

Reaction Score
Two, off to the side, observations.

First, Evina needs to have much more of an offensive, shooting, mindset. She hurts the team, not helps it, by passing up open shots. Has led to empty possessions for the team as they then have to scramble to beat the clock. Need her playing aggressively.

Second, Piath Gabriel has very real potential. She’s athletic, long, and has shown some inside moves. Looking a lot more comfortable than she looked at the beginning of the season. Would not be surprised to see her in the rotation next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Two, off to the side, observations.

First, Evina needs to have much more of an offensive, shooting, mindset. She hurts the team, not helps it, by passing up open shots. Has led to empty possessions for the team as they then have to scramble to beat the clock. Need her playing aggressively.

Second, Piath Gabriel has very real potential. She’s athletic, long, and has shown some inside moves. Looking a lot more comfortable than she looked at the beginning of the season. Would not be surprised to see her in the rotation next year.
You don’t need to score to be effective, and Evina was extremely effective tonight with 8 rbs, 7 ast, 2 steals & a block. I am absolutely positive that Geno would have the same assessment of Evina’s game tonight.

Reaction Score
You don’t need to score to be effective, and Evina was extremely effective tonight with 8 rbs, 7 ast, 2 steals & a block. I am absolutely positive that Geno would have the same assessment of Evina’s game tonight.
I think Geno would say that while being “extremely effective”, as Evina was tonight, is a good thing, that if every player on the team tonight was similarly “effective” the team would have been soundly beaten, crushed, by St. Johns 32-0.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nika, like Anna, has lost confidence in her shot. On defense, when she's out past the circle, she's too tight in coverage. Unless they're going to shoot a 3, take a step back. Tighten coverage when they make their move. Great team effort.
The injury, not lack of confidence, probably affected Anna’s shooting. Nika, like Anna in her first games, deferred to her older teammates. Edwards is only comfortable shooting when she’s under the basket. Another reliable three point shooter who can also pass is a must and right now she’s on bench. Nika’s tight defensive coverage leads to steals but I noticed it also let opponents get around her. Anna might be slower but she knew when and how to stay in front of her opponent. Still, I love Nika—she’s going to be a good one.
The team I want to see in March is Paige, CW, ONO, Anna, and, playing limited minutes, Evina (to keep her healthy) with Edwards and AG and Nika spelling those five with major minutes, never mind the position. Whatever the alignment there needs to be three reliable three point and mid range jump shooters on the floor at times. That means keeping three of these four—Paige, CW, Anna and Ono (mainly from the elbow)—on the floor at all times. Given the number of NCs I’ve coached, you can see I’m right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only coaching that can be done post game, is that sometimes we overpass. An open 6 footer should be taken rather than an extra pass to get a a layup. Quicker teams will break it up, or the receiving player may be surprised, leading to a turnover.
Agree, the game opened with three plays of over passing becoming turnovers and two of them were layups the other a short shot given up. I get the ball has to move in a half court reset but over passing on a break has hurt them.
Can't say I have seen a player in some time I enjoy watching with or without the ball. Paige is simply a joy to not miss on what might come next. The cross over, the euro step, stop and pop mid range, the reverse layup along with the acrobatic ones and of course the three. Then the passes that are delivered, pure perfection most of the time. That and for her size plays a lot of defense. CW got credit for shutting down Carrea tonight but PB had that assignment a lot of the game also.

A great team effort tonight which is the UConn MO. Rounding into shape in a most disjointed season has to be a monumental task for all teams. The expectations here are beyond most schools making it that much harder. St John's not highly ranked but a very scrappy team with players to be respected.

I think Geno would say that while being “extremely efficient”, as Evina was tonight, is a good thing, that if every player on the team tonight was similarly “efficient” the team would have been soundly beaten, crushed, by St. Johns 32-0.
No attack @MuchoDogYears but do you think Geno would play someone 28 minutes if they were not contributing?
In a game like this he had many options, looks to me he is working with what he knows will help in the tourny and trying to add a couple for depth. EW lead the team in rebounds and second only to Paige in assists.
The Box....

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Just viewed the replay. Fun game to watch. Defense was awesome, switching on everything, frequently double-teaming. Running out of adjectives for Paige. Hand a secret ballot to the coaches of the nation's top teams and ask them, if they could have their pick of any player in the country, who would it be? Yeah, they'd choose Paige.

Hey, did UConn just set another NCAA record? First team to beat an opponent by 45 points without two starters scoring?

Reaction Score
No attack @MuchoDogYears but do you think Geno would play someone 28 minutes if they were not contributing?
In a game like this he had many options, looks to me he is working with what he knows will help in the tourny and trying to add a couple for depth. EW lead the team in rebounds and second only to Paige in assists.
The Box....
Fair enough. I’m simply saying that Evina would've help the team by taking the shots that others set her up for rather than hesitating and passing. Against St John’s it didn’t hurt the team. Her playing that way against Stanford will end a season. She absolutely needs to fix that. Of course Geno knows what he’s doing, and I trust that if she continues doing it he will sit her.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just saw the game (I couldn't catch it live). What a pleasant surprise! Liv and Christyn need to remember every aspect of theIR pregame... food, clothing, hair products, EVERYTHING... and repeat it for every upcoming game. They were outstanding tonight.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree with everyone. This really felt almost like a 2016 game... Nika's resistance to shoot but instead throw her teammates under the bus with awkward passes is mindboggling. I thought Piath really did some good things with her couple minutes.
I’m hoping the errant passes and reluctance to drive the lane are things that Nika will address over the summer as she enters her second season.

I’m counting on all of our freshmen knowing the system and raising their level of play next year. Because of the head start Saylor got this year, I expect her to contribute as much as the players who will be sophomores next season.

Reaction Score
When Christyn attacks the basket without running over people, she can be really good. She's strong, quick, and uses both hands. She's not KML, so I like a limited number of 3-pointers, and 3-4 was really good. She also played tough defense.

Liv blended in some jump shots and strong post moves. She also helped patrol the paint, though I'd like to see her swat less.

Paige makes the game look easy. She seems to never miss. 20 points on 10 shots is highly efficient. Best player I've seen this season.

Evina stuffed all the non-scoring stats.

Liya was stronger than everyone else, as usual. And she can score from in close.

Aubrey was everywhere, especially on defense. If there's a ball in the air--whether a rebound or pass--she grabs it.

Saylor showed a little more of her versatility. The straight-on jumper looked good, though missed. The post-up is something she can exploit for the next 4 years. Notice that she swished the FT. She also needs to learn not to foul, a la Nika and Liya.

The offense was stagnant without Paige, but the defense was very good.

I was concerned this could be a tight game. Silly me!
I notice you didn't mention Nika. At halftime, Geno told Culmo and Bestwick the team lately had not been moving quickly up the court before the defense could set up. They were doing in it this game. But not always. I counted four times when UConn had numeric advantage and the defense was not set and Nika pulled back to set up the half court offense. She missed seeing Aubrey and Chistyn streaking uncovered, among others. I guess maybe you get spoiled by Paige seeing everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom