St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
OK I'll start with the critisisms. Aaliya and Olivia free throws. Yikes! Christyn's turnovers. Yikes! Paige missed twice. Yikes! Tonights grades Paige A+ Christyn A, Olivia A, Evina B+, Nika B, Aaliya B, Aubrey B, Piath B, Saylor B-, and Mir N/A. They played the type of basketball that teams # years ago played. Smoooooth!

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Wonderful performance by the Huskies!
Should have been a low blood pressure (for me) game and it was!
They are the No. 1 team in the country and they sure played like it
tonight.
Numero Uno looks good on you, Huskies! ;)

Reaction Score
Saylor put the ball on the floor and made some strong offensive moves. Great to see.
Yes, she did some good things. Understandably, she still seems a high school senior at times but the promise is there.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the St John’s game:
  • Christyn passed up two shots to start the game, but once she started shooting and making shots, she transformed into a scoring machine. We need to see more of that Christyn Williams.
I'm glad she took my advice. "She should shoot 2-4 3PTers per game, selected pull up jumpers, and the balance transition and dribble drive layups. With Paige, Evina, and Nika's passing skills she should get plenty of layups off of cuts, backdoors, and pick and rolls." ;):rolleyes:

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm glad she took my advice. "She should shoot 2-4 3PTers per game, selected pull up jumpers, and the balance transition and dribble drive layups. With Paige, Evina, and Nika's passing skills she should get plenty of layups off of cuts, backdoors, and pick and rolls."
A little surprising that Christyn is seeking advice from the BY, but what the hell.... ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Christyn attacks the basket without running over people, she can be really good. She's strong, quick, and uses both hands. She's not KML, so I like a limited number of 3-pointers, and 3-4 was really good. She also played tough defense.

Liv blended in some jump shots and strong post moves. She also helped patrol the paint, though I'd like to see her swat less.

Paige makes the game look easy. She seems to never miss. 20 points on 10 shots is highly efficient. Best player I've seen this season.

Evina stuffed all the non-scoring stats.

Liya was stronger than everyone else, as usual. And she can score from in close.

Aubrey was everywhere, especially on defense. If there's a ball in the air--whether a rebound or pass--she grabs it.

Saylor showed a little more of her versatility. The straight-on jumper looked good, though missed. The post-up is something she can exploit for the next 4 years. Notice that she swished the FT. She also needs to learn not to foul, a la Nika and Liya.

The offense was stagnant without Paige, but the defense was very good.

I was concerned this could be a tight game. Silly me!

Reaction Score
It was all about the defense tonight. I thought their best effort this year on that end of the court. Reminds me of the turn around late last year which was fueled by the defense. Tonight it led to transition baskets, getting into our half court offense more quickly with increased movement on offense with a flow, and an early put away unlike the Georgetown game. As we go forward I hope E looks to create offensively for herself as well and shoots when she is open. She clearly contributes mightily in other ways (8 boards and 7 assists tonight) but we will most likely need scoring from her in the Big Dance.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Excellent game.

The rest was needed. Set for the final run of the regular season.

Defense was aggressive. Completely took St. John's out of their game plan and quickly. Correa a non factor.

Offense took St. John's out of their defensive plan to pack the paint. Liv's foul line shot, the side of the key shot and the 3 killed it. After that things started to open up. 26 assists on 33 buckets. WOW.

Paige, Christyn, Liv and Aaliyah with double figures.

Christyn the Player of the Game. But more importantly, she has changed her game. She is a more complete and more dangerous player than the start of the season.

Onto to Cincy. Wonder what happened to them this season. Terrible record.
Another impressive stat for UConn: SJ scored double digits in only 1 quarter, and held them to 3 points in the 4th. No SJ player had more than 7 points. :eek: A totally forgettable game for the Red Storm.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
2 good games in a row for CW!
Key thing will be if she can maintain this level of focus and keep doing it (Geno has said that's been the problem in the past).
Maybe she will do an upgraded Stewie and play to her potential for the rest of the season and during the NCAA Tournament. When she plays well UConn rarely struggles. Williams played really well during the tourney in 2019.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I am just waiting for the negativity. This was an outstanding game all around but I am sure the nit picking will be arriving.

I am glad that Saylor was moving around on offense and showed us she has a left handed shot when close to the basket.
The ONLY negative I have is that UConn missed too many bunnies, they could've scored another 20 points on the missed bunnies. That can come back to bite them in the Tournament.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
OK I'll start with the critisisms. Aaliya and Olivia free throws. Yikes! Christyn's turnovers. Yikes! Paige missed twice. Yikes! Tonights grades Paige A+ Christyn A, Olivia A, Evina B+, Nika B, Aaliya B, Aubrey B, Piath B, Saylor B-, and Mir N/A. They played the type of basketball that teams # years ago played. Smoooooth!
Easy grader! :) :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
My $.02

I always worry when Christyn comes out and hits a 3 - it "seems" like she then fancies herself a 3 point shooter and bombs away. NOT today. Took four 3's, made 3, and scored 21 points in other ways. Nice all around game for her and good energy. Not thrilled with her 5 TO's, but a step in the right direction. Hopefully keeps up this kind of performance consistently... And she played some great D on Correa.

Nice to see Liv do what Liv does. Both she and CW were 8-11. Personally, I have no qualms about Liv taking a 3 point shot - we were up 15+ at the time, and it was not a wasted shot even if she missed.

Weird game for Evina - 0 points but 7 assists, 8 boards, 2 steals and a block. Not sure how many minutes she played, but if her body is giving her issues, would rather see her play less minutes in a meaningless game like this.

Not a great game for Nika, but she can't be great every game. Picked up those 2 fouls early on so maybe that threw her off.

NPOY (I mean Paige) almost had a double double with 20 points and 9 assists. Only took 10 shots. UCONN as a team only took 51 shots. Very efficient 65% shooting today. I guess Paige was feeding others today, but would still rather see her take 15+ shots every game.

The offense sure slows down when Paige is out. It's a testament to her greatness.

Loved seeing Liya score double figures.

Was Mir in the doghouse? Literally played 1 minute, came in after Saylor - YIKES.

And Saylor did more today than just jack up 3's. Getting her experience and learning a ton I'm sure... Some nice moves on offense.

Q4 was a grind - we only scored 11, but they only scored 3. YIKES. We beat SJU by 32 last game and were up 31 at the half in this game. Quite the improvement. Really clamped down on Correa which was nice to see. Went from 33 points last game to 2!!!!!

A happy Geno is very nice to see! Wish he sported the headband tho!!!
I agree with your entire take. However, I would happily trade her 5 turn overs for 21 points in every game the remainder of the season. Those 21 points are money in the bank. I doubt the other team converts all 5 turnovers into points. Maybe 2-3.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A little surprising that Christyn is seeking advice from the BY, but what the hell.... ;)
She knows we’ll give it to her “straight.” No bs and no chaser. ;)

Reaction Score
The only coaching that can be done post game, is that sometimes we overpass. An open 6 footer should be taken rather than an extra pass to get a a layup. Quicker teams will break it up, or the receiving player may be surprised, leading to a turnover.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey lets face it Paige is the best player in the country and it aint even close. There are players who can score alot of points and there are players who can take over a game but there is no player who can run the offense and do everything else better then everyone else. Paige is the NPOY and NFOY and it aint even close. She does everything better then every body else and does it all the time not just once in a while.

Reaction Score
Paige 20, 4 rebs 9 asts, ONO 17, 7 rebs 2 stls, CW 21 pts, AE 10 pts... pretty good balance. Cannot complain.
They played like a UConn team tonight and there aren’t many complaints. I do have one. Nika Muhl needs to stop with the no look passes every play. She also passes and puts her teammates in bad positions. She needs to think before passing for the sake of passing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom