St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The other day I mentioned that I would like to see Nika and Paige play together for some serious minutes. The result, the best game of the year from both players. With another pass first guard out there, Paige is able to create more opportunities for herself. AE was outstanding, and the future ( yes even this year ) looks bright for this team. For the first time since I can remember, he can go more than 7 deep in the big games, and hopefully no more games will be cancelled, because the more we play, the better we will get.
It has been Geno's plan from the get go to tune the two up and make them a terrifying back court. That's why he kept and keeps sticking Nika into the line up. When Paige was first asked about Nika she said she understood Nika was a pass first guard and she looked forward to playing together. If Geno's plan works out we are in for a heck of a basketball treat. Oh wait,, I keep forgetting Azzi - a humungous basketball treat.

Reaction Score
This game for me was the best so far of the season! Throughly enjoyed and cheered the whole game! Loved seeing Muhl play so well, Edwards too snd of course PB! Her shot is flawless! Can’t wait to watch it again tonight!
I think all played well.....! Kudos to all the players! Friday can’t come soon enough!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
"Cents" or ".02" are not me, I am the official two cent.
I always wonder if people are being sarcastic when they write things like, Paige was moving forward on her shot, or her foul shooting was off, things like that....she is a human being and perfection in sport is unattainable, so to point out silly little things, wastes all of our time in here. winning by 32 points and criticizing our defense? C'mon man.
Even Megan Culmo during the game , after a Paige miss said she looked un-confident, and at the time Piage was something like 9-12....
These are the same people that couldn't believe that Lou missed two 2pt shots in her game against USF where she went 10 for 10 on her 3pt shots.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
It's my belief that Geno is not looking to make Nika a sub for Paige, but her wingman or vice verse.
I've had this thought effervescing around in my head when I first learned she was coming "is Geno hoping she can become his point?" That thought just keeps getting stronger as Nika plays.

I think I've figured out where this idea, for me, comes from.

Our daughter went into Jr Hi and was with all new player and our daughter probably was the 4th option for scoring (as the off guard :(). The point was absolutely the best player on the team and considered the best player in the school system we played in. This kid could shake & bake. Score from anywhere. Our team couldn't beat anyone.

Halfway through the season the coach moved our daughter to point and the point to off guard. The team began winning. The best player still got her points, steals, assists, free throws. But instantly, our opponents had to shut down 2 players instead of one. We were twice as hard to deal with. Scoring as well as all the stats went up for every other player on our team. Our daughter appeared "s l o w" which she was, and eventually teams quit trying to steal the ball from the slow kid because it normally resulted in the slow kid having a lay up or an assist or drawing a foul.

Whew. After all that. Granted, Page is SO much better! But the concept still applies. Thinking about how Good Page is. Think about her being the offlGard.(with Azzi, CW, E, Anna) and Nika at point. Don't guard Nika results in a lay up, 3 pointer, or assist.
Page is going to be Page. Page looking to score makes the team better.

Yes I've read all the disparaging remarks directed at Nika. Still in the back of my head I'm thinking that it's possible that in the back of Geno's head is the possibilities that would be created for his team "IF" Nika could be, just good enough to be his point. And what if she becomes more than just good enough. if she's just good enough, you still have Page, Anna, E to fill out the guards and it might be getting better next year.

For someone who isn't crazy about long posts.:confused:

Reaction Score
Can't understand why Mir McLean is not recognized? Once again, she makes lots happen when she's in the game. In just 12 minutes of playing time, she pulls down 8 rebounds, including- get this!!- 6 offensive rebounds, scores 7 points, and gets to the foul line for 4 free throws. By contrast, ONO, at 6'5" and in 35 minutes, gets just one free throw attempt. Edwards in 34 minutes gets the same 4 three throws as McLean. And then there are the 3 assists and 1 block. That matches the block total for each of the post players, who each was in for nearly three times the minutes.

That McLean is a dynamo. Granted, she got into foul trouble- 3 fouls in 12 minutes. Needs work there. But whenever she gets in the game, she makes things happen. For example, she has 14 free throws for the season, compared with Evina's 27. But Evina has played four times the minutes. She gets to the line as often per minute played as Aaliyah Edwards, who is 6'3". And her field goal percentage is virtually identical to Westbrook's.

Perhaps it's the fouls, 19 in just over 100 minutes of playing time. But perhaps, just as Muhl has reduced her fouling, McLean can streamline her defensive game as well. But for the minutes she plays, McLean is tremendously productive.
yes , she is good but the role she play in Uconn system will only get play top 15minutes +/-

Reaction Score
It has been Geno's plan from the get go to tune the two up and make them a terrifying back court. That's why he kept and keeps sticking Nika into the line up. When Paige was first asked about Nika she said she understood Nika was a pass first guard and she looked forward to playing together. If Geno's plan works out we are in for a heck of a basketball treat. Oh wait,, I keep forgetting Azzi - a humungous basketball treat.
Against the lower tier teams that typically go with 4 guards, you may be correct. Unlikely against the top teams like SC where we need 2 players to rebound and defend. Doubt Geno ever looked at Nika to unseat Evina, Paige and Wiliams this year or those 3 (if Evina stays) plus Azzi next year. I suspect Saylor and Duchame could affect that equation. Geno also likes to recruit shut down defenders at guard, a position I suspect he is recruiting for.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I've had this thought effervescing around in my head when I first learned she was coming "is Geno hoping she can become his point?" That thought just keeps getting stronger as Nika plays.

Our daughter went into Jr Hi and was with all new player and our daughter probably was the 4th option for scoring (as the off guard :(). The point was absolutely the best player on the team and considered the best player in the school system we played in. This kid could shake & bake. Score from anywhere. Our team couldn't beat anyone.

Halfway through the season the coach moved our daughter to point and the point to off guard. The team began winning. The best player still got her points, steals, assists, free throws. But instantly, our opponents had to shut down 2 players instead of one. We were twice as hard to deal with. Scoring as well as all the stats went up for every other player on our team. Our daughter appeared "s l o w" which she was, and eventually teams quit trying to steal the ball from the slow kid because it normally resulted in the slow kid having a lay up or an assist or drawing a foul.

Whew. After all that. Granted, Page is SO much better! But the concept still applies. Thinking about how Good Page is. Think about her being the offlGard.(with Azzi, CW, E, Anna) and Nika at point. Don't guard Nika results in a lay up, 3 pointer, or assist.

Yes I've read all the disparaging remarks directed at Nika. Still in the back of my head I'm thinking that it's possible that in the back of Geno's head is the possibilities that would be created for his team "IF" Nika could be, just good enough to be his point. And what if she becomes more than just good enough. if she's just good enough, you still have Page, Anna, E to fill out the guards and it might be getting better next year.

Agree about long posts, maybe about the rest, for the short term, long term. meaning next year and beyond? more talent more options. time will tell.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the St Johns game:
  • When was the last time UConn started 3 freshmen? With both Christyn & Aubrey banged up, that was the deal, with another freshmen 1st off the bench.
  • Paige was lights out tonight, literally……….Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Paige scored 32 points and, at times, it seemed almost effortless.
  • Aaliyah played her best game, and she mostly stayed out of foul trouble. Coincidence? I think not.
  • Nika did a really nice job dropping dimes and she's starting to feel it from the arc.
  • Mir was a rebounding force and provided great defensive energy off the bench.
  • Correa is a big time player.
  • Really impressed that Autumn doesn't play for a couple games, finally gets in during mop-up time and calmly buries a 3.
  • For UConn to make a deep run in the tournament, Liv must do a better job avoiding cheap fouls.
  • Nothing should be taken for granted this season. With that in mind, we can all take a moment to recognize and perhaps even celebrate UConn completing their 13th game of the season, thereby qualifying for the Big Dance.
And if Mir can ever figure out where the hoop is located, those rebounds will turn into points. I am more worried about Aubrey's injury than that of Williams. We know that Williams had an ankle twist during practice...but is Aubrey experiencing a knee issue? I agree; Kudos to Autumn. On defense, she needs to keep her hands up more ( to impress the coaches that she is getting it ). Had to love Geno's post game comment; " At one point we had four freshman and a high school kid out there ...". I think we should assume Aubrey and Williams will not play in Milwaukee. Save them for SC. That will make Friday's game much tougher. And you are right about Edward....she looked like a basketball player rather than an enforcer. I think Olivia is showing ( outside shot ) that she is more a forward than a center. Onward and upward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree about long posts, maybe about the rest, for the short term, long term. meaning next year and beyond? more talent more options. time will tell.
For a minute I was going to give you a "like", I thought you were agreeing to the long posts people reply to on the Boneyard...until I read further. :D Ok, I'll give you a like anyway.

Reaction Score
I can't wait until we see a game where Nika, Paige, and Azzi are on the court at the same time. Pick your back court poison!!!!

Reaction Score
Meg mentioned that Drake realized she could go right past Nika Muhl. I saw plenty of times where Nika went right past Drake. Did Meg mention that? No, she did not. Evina needs to drive to the basket more, take more free throws, and hopefully, that will help her get her shot back. I believe I read where someone said Paige couldn't hit her free throws, so I looked at the stats. Maybe I read it wrong, but Paige's free throw percentage is .794%. Absolutely horrible.

Reaction Score
Want to hear something really scary? ( for other teams) Azzi Fudd is actually a better shooter than Paige.
I hope that’s true but let’s wait till she gets here before we anoint her as better than Paige. That is a tall order. I mean, imo Paige is up there with Maya, Dee, and Breanna as the greatest freshmen ever! I truly hope Azzi is that good but .....we’ll see. Paige is currently shooting almost 60% from three! Not questioning Azzi’s status as a potentially great player for us, but better than Paige?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
For a minute I was going to give you a "like", I thought you were agreeing to the long posts people reply to on the Boneyard...until I read further. :D Ok, I'll give you a like anyway.
Yes I was agreeing on the long post. If you thought the rest of my post was long. You talking to me? My philosophy, you post 6 points, I post maybe 2, you write 6 paragraphs I reply with maybe 2. I like brief, snarky, thought provoking, sarcastic and funny. Don't care for obvious, repetitive, mean or nasty posts or replies.
I like yours, nuff said, I've reached my quota. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Against the lower tier teams that typically go with 4 guards, you may be correct. Unlikely against the top teams like SC where we need 2 players to rebound and defend. Doubt Geno ever looked at Nika to unseat Evina, Paige and Wiliams this year or those 3 (if Evina stays) plus Azzi next year. I suspect Saylor and Duchame could affect that equation. Geno also likes to recruit shut down defenders at guard, a position I suspect he is recruiting for.
Shut down defenders. Guess they have been in short supply. Going to be interesting over the next 2 years.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Team has a long way to go to be a good defensive team. ST Johns which UConn dominated shot 50% for the game. Low Post Defense is non existent as guards are able to get to the Rim at will. Its scary what Boston and So. Carolina guards will be able to do against this UConn team.

Reaction Score
I hope that’s true but let’s wait till she gets here before we anoint her as better than Paige. That is a tall order. I mean, imo Paige is up there with Maya, Dee, and Breanna as the greatest freshmen ever! I truly hope Azzi is that good but .....we’ll see. Paige is currently shooting almost 60% from three! Not questioning Azzi’s status as a potentially great player for us, but better than Paige?
Azzi does NOT miss no matter where she shoots from. Her parents and training coaches worked hard on teaching her fundamentals.

Reaction Score
Those who said that Nika would have a career at the end of the bench and couldn't shoot a three are requested to report to Room C in the Gampel sub-basement for reindoctrination.
Gotta love Nika for her fortitude and resilience after a difficult start to her UConn career. The past 3 games she has solid both on the defensive and offensive ends of the court.

Reaction Score

Fudd may be as good a shooter as there is in women's basketball and that includes the professionals...........if she remains healthy you can put that in the bank........

Reaction Score

Your anecdote regarding your daughter reminded me of Maria Conlon; not the fastest or quickest player on the court, but she ran the point very well. If you ignored her (to over play DT) she would kill you with her outside shooting, seldom turned the ball over and was a capable defender. Remember, that team struggled early in the season with Nicole Wolf at point guard until injury sidelined her, giving Maria her opportunity and from that point forward UConn was a better team.

Reaction Score
"Piath is coming along"....huh?

She was brought in as a multi-year project. If you saw her on the court you'd know why. Edwards is a big woman and next to Piath she looks like her baby sister. Gabriel has quick feet for her size, can run the floor and can catch and pass. Geno likes her work ethic. Her potential is enormous.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Have you seen her workout videos? There are also some with Paige working out with her. But you are right, but something to look forward to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom