St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The other day I mentioned that I would like to see Nika and Paige play together for some serious minutes. The result, the best game of the year from both players. With another pass first guard out there, Paige is able to create more opportunities for herself. AE was outstanding, and the future ( yes even this year ) looks bright for this team. For the first time since I can remember, he can go more than 7 deep in the big games, and hopefully no more games will be cancelled, because the more we play, the better we will get.

Reaction Score
The other day I mentioned that I would like to see Nika and Paige play together for some serious minutes. The result, the best game of the year from both players. With another pass first guard out there, Paige is able to create more opportunities for herself. AE was outstanding, and the future ( yes even this year ) looks bright for this team. For the first time since I can remember, he can go more than 7 deep in the big games, and hopefully no more games will be cancelled, because the more we play, the better we will get.
No question about it; when Nika is in the floor, everybody is better.

Reaction Score
Such an enjoyable game to watch. Great team effort and individual performances. Terrific play-by-play announcing and excellent commentary pre-, halftime and post-game. I am satisfied; just sorry to see CW sitting-out.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that CW is the type of player who would work better in teams that allow her to hold the ball and shoot as many as she wants, sort of like what Chennedy Carter used to do? She doesn’t seem to fit in the ball movement and UConn offense as well as others and the offense is stagnant sometimes with her in. You look at the ball movement we had with gabby, Kia, pheesa, Lou etc and some of the plays, and you just don’t see that with this team with CW involved. Maybe I am being really harsh?!
Correct me if I'm wrong here. Didn't CW play with Pheesa and Lou...or is it ONLY CW that is stagnant?

john mccain fox GIF by Animation Domination High-Def

Reaction Score
No question about it; when Nika is in the floor, everybody is better.
I've been saying this for a while but I get a lot of heat for it. I think it is time to cut back CW's 35 plus minutes a game to about 25 and put NM in the game for some of those minutes. I think it will do good for both.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that CW is the type of player who would work better in teams that allow her to hold the ball and shoot as many as she wants, sort of like what Chennedy Carter used to do? She doesn’t seem to fit in the ball movement and UConn offense as well as others and the offense is stagnant sometimes with her in. You look at the ball movement we had with gabby, Kia, pheesa, Lou etc and some of the plays, and you just don’t see that with this team with CW involved. Maybe I am being really harsh?!
That's the one. She is not a very good passer. That is an unkind thing to say about a guard. I will not even start to mention her defense and streaky shooting.

But, if she can put it together, she can be a handful to guard. My hope is that PB and NM can get her the ball where she is most comfortable and able to score.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Interesting that CW didn't tell Geno she "couldn't go" until halfway through pregame warm ups. A contrast to Nika's "just put more tape on it."
Not that CW wasn't going with what the med staff required.

Reaction Score
Wow! Good post, Tony. 4 Freshmen and one just out of high school on the floor and they scored and worked the ball pretty darn well. What I saw was a set of players that performed fairly well working together. I am eager to see Saylor obtain the same level of confidence and make 3 to 5 3's during the game. It will happen. Really pleased with the results

Tongue in cheek, you can always take Chrystin, Aubrey, and Anna off of the bench when they are ready.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I am being unfair.
Yes, you are. I enjoy your commentary, but you are being a tad bit unfair to CW and her injury--a 3-year starter who's never missed a single game in her UConn career. Your speculation and implication are wholly unfounded and vastly premature. Cw's a good kid, a good teammate and a great addition to UConn...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CW is quietly having a very good year passing the basketball as reflected by her A:TO ration of better than 2:1. Her struggles this year and last are not ball movement or passing related it is almost entirely inconsistent shooting that is and has been plaguing her for a season and a half now.
You bring up an interesting point that was much debated when CW signed with UCONN: Are her skills, especially the one on one aspects of her game an ideal fit for UCONN offense?
Short answer is absolutely. Chennedy Carter is a really really bad example because you are never going to have a player like that play within the UCONN system as long as Geno is coaching. I suggest two better examples Asia Durr and Courtney Williams who played a USF. Similar to Christyn the strength of their games was the ability to create one on one. Geno is perfectly capable of fitting such a player into the UCONN offense as he's currently doing it for Paige. On a Geno coached team though fitting in a player will never come at the expense of the other players on the floor. Geno has also tried to "feature" Christyn in this system before and it did not work. Towards the mid point of last season Geno tweaked the offense to take advantage of CW's skill. It did not work because of CW inconsistent shooting and Megan Walker (quiet as it kept ) turned out to be a more reliable option.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, you are. I enjoy your commentary, but you are being a tad bit unfair to CW and her injury--a 3-year starter who's never missed a single game in her UConn career. Your speculation and implication are wholly unfounded and vastly premature. Cw's a good kid, a good teammate and a great addition to UConn...
I apologize. You are right. However I do wonder if when Geno talks about the lack of toughness the last few years he is talking about C W among others, and that is at least in part responsible for the inconsistency in her offense.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Much is being made of the CW issue. Much ado about nothing. A competitive athlete, which CW is, is not going to give up easily. She tweeked/ rolled her ankle. First reaction - tape up and I'm good to go. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Last night it didn't work.

Does she fit into the offense? Yes. But she has to play to her strong points - slashing and driving. When she does, she is a handful to defend. 3 point shooting is not her strong point.

There are plenty of minutes for the 4 guards - Paige, Evina CW and Nika. They all have different styles which will cause problems for every team.

Geno's got this.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
My $.02
  • Freshmen, freshmen, freshmen!!
  • Paige, Paige, Paige. This is the type of game she needs to play every night. Not necessarily the scoring numbers, but the number of shots. Kudos to her.
  • Liya - way to go!
  • Olivia - good grief.
  • Nika - she has improved in leaps and bounds this season
  • Evina - lots of other good things in spite of 1-9 shooting. YIKES!
  • Mir may or may not be the most athletic player on the team, but IMHO no one is more explosive
  • Autumn - attagirl!
  • Saylor - 0-America thus far, but hey, getting reps and practice with the team and bonding as well
Having said all that, this game was problematic. Arkansas scored 90 on us. SJU shot 50% for the game. That is flat out unacceptable and problematic. Sure we outscored them by a lot, but this SJU team was only able to put up 65 against Nova, 60 against UMASS, 62 vs. Marquette, 53 vs. Providence.

So yeah, we all can be thrilled for Paige and Liya, but we've already seen that our defense has cost us a game. It very well could cause us a shot at a NC, never mind making it to the NC game.
EricLA, great points one area we must consider, we play the players we have available, last night without 3 of the first 6 in the regular rotation, that said yes your comments regarding defense is valid. Do you really think SJU puts up the same number of points against our regular rotation?
Who we saw last night may be the new norm for a while we just don't know, time will tell. WE did have a lingering thought addressed last night, The bench, lack of playing time for a long bench. Thank goodness for everyone of our players, they were ready and exemplified the term next woman up. Kudos to Geno and the coaches for having each and every player ready to step in get-r-done.

Reaction Score
EricLA, great points one area we must consider, we play the players we have available, last night without 3 of the first 6 in the regular rotation, that said yes your comments regarding defense is valid. Do you really think SJU puts up the same number of points against our regular rotation?
Who we saw last night may be the new norm for a while we just don't know, time will tell. WE did have a lingering thought addressed last night, The bench, lack of playing time for a long bench. Thank goodness for everyone of our players, they were ready and exemplified the term next woman up. Kudos to Geno and the coaches for having each and every player ready to step in get-r-done.
Margin of victory is much more relevant than the number of points the opposing team scores, eh?

Reaction Score
Can't understand why Mir McLean is not recognized? Once again, she makes lots happen when she's in the game. In just 12 minutes of playing time, she pulls down 8 rebounds, including- get this!!- 6 offensive rebounds, scores 7 points, and gets to the foul line for 4 free throws. By contrast, ONO, at 6'5" and in 35 minutes, gets just one free throw attempt. Edwards in 34 minutes gets the same 4 three throws as McLean. And then there are the 3 assists and 1 block. That matches the block total for each of the post players, who each was in for nearly three times the minutes.

That McLean is a dynamo. Granted, she got into foul trouble- 3 fouls in 12 minutes. Needs work there. But whenever she gets in the game, she makes things happen. For example, she has 14 free throws for the season, compared with Evina's 27. But Evina has played four times the minutes. She gets to the line as often per minute played as Aaliyah Edwards, who is 6'3". And her field goal percentage is virtually identical to Westbrook's.

Perhaps it's the fouls, 19 in just over 100 minutes of playing time. But perhaps, just as Muhl has reduced her fouling, McLean can streamline her defensive game as well. But for the minutes she plays, McLean is tremendously productive.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
With this freshmen group there is no garbage time. The score may be a runaway but the play is still enjoyable. They have ability and a confident attitude. Compare them to the 2017-18 freshmen. Night and day difference! No fear of making a mistake with the current freshmen. They are relentless. I believe they all came with this attitude. Paige has the demeanor of a senior. Nika came as one tough kid. After all her name is only one letter away from Nike. Aaliyah came to mix it up and show no signs of backing off. Mir arrived with a belief in herself and her game. Even Piath does not look timid when she gets on the floor. No garbage time with this crew!!!
We need a "Oh Yeah That's Right" button or something more than. . . "like". It's now twice in the last week I found myself trying to click the "like" button more than once.:cool:

Reaction Score
I think Nika can be the x factor for the offense as she keeps gaining confidence and experience. Sees the court extremely well, her and Paige would be two of the best passing guards out there. She also adds critical spacing to the floor if she can keep hitting her 3 point shots (I think she has a nice soft shot, and expect her to keep ascending as the season goes).

That spacing will help CW. CW should not be hanging out by the 3 point line, she's not a 3 point shooter. She needs to work inside-out (to a mid range game). She is a very string slasher to the basket and having Niko on the floor with Paige and Evina can really open up the lanes for her to excel. As she does that, there could be opportunities to kick the ball out to the perimeter for some open shots.

Our offense, while stagnant at times, is still already strong. This could take it up a level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom