St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I think she gets tired. She played 39 minutes tonight, and a bunch of her mid-range attempts started clanking as the second half wore on. I get Geno wants her to shoot more, but you don't want her pressing either and jacking up shots just for the sake of it.
This has to be sarcasm and my meter battery low? No attack but she leads the team in several categories and is doing what Geno says to do. What more to ask for? Tonight she finally broke out of her shell and did exactly what Geno has been looking for. It was beautiful, 13 for 20 and 5 of 6 for tre's, 7 assists.
Not many of her shots are what would be called clankers or bricks, if it doesn't go in it is usually not off by much.
Just me but I'm good with her doing what is called for. :) The box...
Women's Basketball vs St. John's on 2/3/2021 - Box Score - University of Connecticut Athletics

That talented freshman can make 3-pointers but still misses the occasional free throw.
You are 100% correct, actually Nika leads the team in percentage from the line with 100%. Then again she has only taken two. ;)
Season totals box.... Paige leads the regulars....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This has to be sarcasm and my meter battery low? No attack but she leads the team in several categories and is doing what Geno says to do. What more to ask for? Tonight she finally broke out of her shell and did exactly what Geno has been looking for. It was beautiful, 13 for 20 and 5 of 6 for tre's, 7 assists.
Not many of her shots are what would be called clankers or bricks, if it doesn't go in it is usually not off by much.
Just me but I'm good with her doing what is called for. :) The box...
Women's Basketball vs St. John's on 2/3/2021 - Box Score - University of Connecticut Athletics

You are 100% correct, actually Nika leads the team in percentage from the line with 100%. Then again she has only taken two. ;)
Season totals box.... Paige leads the regulars....
I'm guessing that a certain friend in Northern Virginia is both congratulating Paige and giving her grief about shooting FTs at under 90%.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the best ball and player movement offensively this season. Lots of quick screens and cuts; very few moments when the ball was static. And all of this occurred when Christyn was not able to play. Ergo . . . ?
My observation is that she too often holds the ball outside the 3-point line, takes a couple aimless dribbles, then holds the ball, taking pressure off the defense, and not making it easier for her teammates to find lanes to cut. This is not definitive cause-and-effect, but I'll be interested in seeing if we can get this same kind of motion in the offense when she returns.
I think Liv is a big part of the excellent ball movement .. especially 'reversing' the ball to the weak side.
She also opened up the lane by hitting some key jumpers from the top o' the circle, eh? She's a better passer from the hi-post than AE.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think she gets tired. She played 39 minutes tonight, and a bunch of her mid-range attempts started clanking as the second half wore on. I get Geno wants her to shoot more, but you don't want her pressing either and jacking up shots just for the sake of it.
She was probably tired because her movement this game was the best of the season. She wsd cutting into the lane, running full circles on the perimeter, etc. She was hunting for opportunities. In past games, she would simetimes watch on the perimeter. And she is more and.more leading her team vocally. And she is the worst she will ever be.

Reaction Score
My cents on the SJ game (guard focus):

Overall we were good switching on defense. A little slow on a couple close-outs. I thought our half -court defense was a bit of a hit and miss. We got a lot of turnovers but SJ shot a high percentage against us too. Take away some of the 25-30 turnovers SJ had and it might have been different. Of course you can’t do that but, I think it shows we are still a work in progress on half-court defense.

This is what you might get with PB playing some 2G or at least having NM in the game with better passing than CW. I thought SJ defense was really bad so I take some of this with a grain of salt.

PB – on fire. Mostly getting anything she wants via screens and creating space. Another game where she disrupts passing lanes. I hope she can do this against SC and the other top teams. I think she will now be a target to defend the most by top teams and not just another option. Can she still be effective against the opposing team’s added attention and best defender? The good news is that now the lesser defender will need to deal with CW and/or EW, making them even better options. PB makes everybody better.

NM can’t keep Drake in front of her. Went for the swipe which caused her to lose a step and get the 2nd foul. Good passing – once in the lane and another on a skip pass – not many players would have seen that or made that pass, and then she hits PB perfectly in stride for the 3 pointer.

Later some nice defense on Correa. Would have had 2 assists to AE- one on an excellent drive and kick out to AE for the foul line miss and another on the break, which AE missed also. Has another nice assist to EW on a nice pass in transition but EW missed. Made a couple nice steals and is really aggressive pushing the ball up court. Has no fear. Has excellent court vision. She can really pass the ball.

If we didn’t have PB, NM would be talked about a lot more. Defense was better later on - moving her feet better. Seems to start off slow defensively and then gets better as the game goes on. Continues to show her adaptivity. Good shooting. I thought her best shot was the last 3pter she made – lots of rotation and arc on the shot. She felt it.

She has made huge strides. I now expect this from her, at least against weak competition. Would have been close to a double double if players hit the bunnies she provided them. This from a freshman in her 10th or 11th game. Now think about that for a minute! Now what can she do against elite level teams??

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My cents on the SJ game (wing and big focus):

EW – looks good going to the basket and then using her length to stop and pop from 8 ft. Shot was obviously off. Uses her length and savvy to disrupt passing lanes. Even if her shot is off, she helps in other ways as well.

AE – looking good. Impressed with her movement on offense, taking it to the basket, getting the two or the foul and her work in the boards. She is a finisher. Makes herself big for the entry pass and on the pick and roll. This is a good step forward for her. Almost had a double double! Didn't have any 'bull in a china shop' moments...

Liv – made a few from outside - I think she hit them all. I like her a lot better from just inside the 3 point line than just outside the line. One shot wasn’t so easy as the PB pass was too low. Hard for a big to catch a low pass and then shoot, but she got it done.

Picked up some fouls protecting the rim on the drive – this is what I am most worried about is Liv picking up fouls when others allow dribble penetration. Can’t finish through contact. Tries to avoid it actually which throws her off balance like she did on the baseline drive. It is what it is.

I am encouraged by her outside shot, which will help open the middle for post-ups by AE and AG and cutters as well. I wonder if top teams will just give her that outside shot and see if she is hitting them or not. AE or AG posting up against the second big with no help will be a great advantage. Maybe this is how we get the most out of Liv on the offensive end. Can she make the good pass into to the post when the passing lanes are smaller due to bigger post players?

AG – nice offensive board to get the 3 from PB. Later involved in a steal. Plays only two minutes and still makes plays.

MM – I continue to be impressed with how quickly she can move her feet. She isn’t always focused on defense and, as a result, can be late on her movement. But when she is locked in, she is really good. Has a knack for drawing the charge. Seems to enjoy that. Great work in the offensive glass but can she do this against top level teams with size?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Saw a nice recap on SVP: Sports Center on the UConn / StJ game. Very complementary of Paige showing a variety of 3's and dimes although they did not include her no look change of direction pass to Aaliyah into the post.

Brings up the cool Stat. Only 2 Underclassman at UConn with 30+pts 5+assists. DT in 2002 and KLS in 2017

Reaction Score
UCONN did look good tonight.....but, you have to remember St. John's record is 2-8 in the Little East.

I know @Plebe does not like caveat's such as "not best team" :rolleyes: , referencing whether NC State should be ranked #1 or not (another thread)...here's another caveat I dislike, "you have to remember [add team here] record is 2-8 in the Little East" (...or similar language).

balloon GIF

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My cents on the SJ game (guard focus):

Overall we were good switching on defense. A little slow on a couple close-outs. . I thought our half -court defense was a bit of a hit and miss. We got a lot of turnovers but SJ shot a high percentage against us too. Take away some of the 25-30 turnovers SJ had and it might have been different. Of course you can’t do that but, I think it shows we are still a work in progress on half-court defense.

This is what you might get with PB playing some 2G or at least having NM in the game with better passing than CW. I thought SJ defense was really bad so I take some of this with a grain of salt.

PB – on fire. Mostly getting anything she wants via screens and creating space. Another game where she disrupts passing lanes. I hope she can do this against SC and the other top teams. I think she will now be a target to defend the most by top teams and not just another option. Can she still be effective against the opposing team’s added attention and best defender. The good news is that now the lesser defender will need to deal with CW and/or EW, making them even better options. PB makes everybody better.

NM can’t keep Drake in front of her. Went for the swipe which caused her to lose a step and get the 2nd foul. Good passing – once in the lane and another on a skip pass – not many players would have seen that or made that pass, and then she hits PB perfectly in stride for the 3 pointer.

Later some nice defense on Correa. Would have had 2 assists to AE- one on an excellent drive and kick out to AE for the foul line miss and another on the break, which AE missed also. Has another nice assist to EW on a nice pass in transition but EW missed. Made a couple nice steals and is really aggressive pushing the ball up court. Has no fear. Has excellent court vision. She can really pass the ball.

If we didn’t have PB, NM would be talked about a lot more. Defense was better later on - moving her feet better. Seems to start off slow defensively and then gets better as the game goes on. Continues to show her adaptivity. Good shooting. I thought her best shot was the last 3pter she made – lots of rotation and arc on the shot. She felt it.

She has made huge strides. I now expect this from her, at least against weak competition. Would have been close to a double double if players hit the bunnies she provided the. This from a freshman in her 10th or 11th game. Now think about that for a minute! Now what can she do against elite level teams??
Nika was playing on a bum ankle. It had to affect her lateral movement and ability to adjust to quick movements

Reaction Score
The freshmen have grasped the offense in my estimation. Can it can better of course. Paige is very comfortable now on the screen and three and the screen and elbow jumper and the screen and roll. If done well very hard to stop. Seems like Liv kinda likes playing outside hitting cutter and shooting three's. I think that is where she will play in the WNBA. Edwards on the other hand loves playing inside and the roll with Paige is like the way she played in HS with her center. The same way Sabrina played with her bigs. Easy peasy. Nika has the vision of a good PG. I can imagine her in 3 years from now playing with Paige and Azzi. Wow, UConn will be bad for Women's Basketball again. The only rant for the day I only saw bits and pieces of the in game due to Fox Sports. It has been bad all season but yesterday it was all game long. BOOOOO

Reaction Score
In his presser tonight he said Nika looks better with every passing game and she has "so much confidence" in her shot.
For those of us that commented a year ago, "who is Muhl and why did Geno recruit her," kuddos to Geno. While she has trouble keeping her defender in front of her and turns the ball over more than desired, her passing has been good and she plays with great energy. Good sub to have when we needed one.

Reaction Score
Correa is very, very good. I was super impressed.
Yes. She is a great scorer. The rest of her stat sheet was basically empty. I'd need to see her impact the game in more ways before saying she is very very good.

Reaction Score
"Cents" or ".02" are not me, I am the official two cent.
I always wonder if people are being sarcastic when they write things like, Paige was moving forward on her shot, or her foul shooting was off, things like that....she is a human being and perfection in sport is unattainable, so to point out silly little things, wastes all of our time in here. winning by 32 points and criticizing our defense? C'mon man.
Even Megan Culmo during the game , after a Paige miss said she looked un-confident, and at the time Piage was something like 9-12....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For those of us that commented a year ago, "who is Muhl and why did Geno recruit her," kuddos to Geno. While she has trouble keeping her defender in front of her and turns the ball over more than desired, her passing has been good and she plays with great energy. Good sub to have when we needed one.
I see what you did there @HopJim, but I think Geno has hopes and plans that extend beyond your vision for her.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
With this freshmen group there is no garbage time. The score may be a runaway but the play is still enjoyable. They have ability and a confident attitude. Compare them to the 2017-18 freshmen. Night and day difference! No fear of making a mistake with the current freshmen. They are relentless. I believe they all came with this attitude. Paige has the demeanor of a senior. Nika came as one tough kid. After all her name is only one letter away from Nike. Aaliyah came to mix it up and show no signs of backing off. Mir arrived with a belief in herself and her game. Even Piath does not look timid when she gets on the floor. No garbage time with this crew!!!

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that CW is the type of player who would work better in teams that allow her to hold the ball and shoot as many as she wants, sort of like what Chennedy Carter used to do? She doesn’t seem to fit in the ball movement and UConn offense as well as others and the offense is stagnant sometimes with her in. You look at the ball movement we had with gabby, Kia, pheesa, Lou etc and some of the plays, and you just don’t see that with this team with CW involved. Maybe I am being really harsh?!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Was that amazin? Wow. Our freshman dont play like freshman and there was No fear of failure. We started 3 freshman and the freshman are getting alot of minutes which is helping their development, jitters, and confidence. What an unbelievable freshman class and you know what????we've got another unbelievable class coming in next season and we will only get better. The freshman are coming into their own and becoming very comfortable on the floor. There is no fear. They bring alot of energy and they are proving they belong. Im so impressed with their play. The injuries have allowed the freshman to get more minutes, which translates into experience development and that has lead to their confidence. All the freshman needed was a chance and theyre getting it with the injuries and theyre proving themselves.

Mir is a rebounding machine and not afraid to take it up in traffic underneath. She draws alot of fouls. Shes special and gonna become a force. Edwards showed us what we've been waiting to see. Now think about this. We've all been waiting for height. We've got Liv and Edwards and I really like the high low. Paith is coming along and when she gets to where Geno can give her more minutes we're gonna be really big. Add to that Amari coming next season, Saylor already here and Caroline and we've got alot of height that can dribble shoot rebound and play like guards.

Ive seen alot of improvement over the past few games. The more games we play the better we play as a unit. Our movement and shot selection is better. Our defense last nite may not have been the greatest but understand we played alot of freshman without alot of experience and they helped us get 25+ turnovers from St Johns. Im impressed. So we were up alot the entire game with the freshman contributing. There was no hesitation, no concerns about what to do or where to go and they played without any fair of failure....they were just playin their game.

So Im thinkin. No Griff No Anna No Christyn and look at the stats? We made only 11 turnovers. For a group of freshman to do what they did is special. We're gettin there. Paige...what can you say. Shes the best shooter Ive seen. Shes the best playmaker Ive ever seen. She can get her shot whenever she wants it and she can set up plays on the floor to get a shot or get a team mate a shot. She a coach on the floor. There is no leader like Paige in WCBB. You can talk about all the great players in WCBB but there is not one player that can fill up the stat sheet like Paige. There isnt one player who can make all the plays Paige does that Dont show up in the stat sheets???? Think about that. Shes the best all round player in WCBB and a first team AA.

We've got Marquette next and then SC which will be a huge test. Our ability to rebound will be huge in this game. I like the way we're running our offense. I like the way we've been moving and I love the energy. Most of all I like the confidence we're playing with.

Reaction Score
Was going to ask, is Paige the only person in WBB who shoots higher percentage on 3's than 2's, but I see UConn alone has two others. Of course that may be because Nika's percentage on 2's is so low, and Mir only has 2 attempts at a 3. I also note we are seeing a lot of our players are banged up, especially ones we have criticized. Anna's terrible shooting, then we find out she has a bad leg, maybe a stress fracture. Nika seems off on her shot, a tad slow, then we find out she has a bad leg/ankle. Aubrey can't lock down on defense against Arkansas, then we remember she has back spasms, maybe a bad knee, or an ankle. You play through the pain, but you still have it. You do the best you can, but you can't be your best. And some days you just don't have it. How many times do you see a golfer shoot a 62, and then the next day he shoots a 72. Not that 72 is bad, I would take it. Heck I'd take 82, maybe even 92. So maybe we, and I do mean we, should be a little less quick to criticize. But it is such fun. Especially when the people we are criticizing are so much better than we are.

Reaction Score
I think Liv is a big part of the excellent ball movement .. especially 'reversing' the ball to the weak side.
She also opened up the lane by hitting some key jumpers from the top o' the circle, eh? She's a better passer from the hi-post than AE.
I just hope she can pass against bigger more athletic players because those passing windows will be a lot smaller. Also, I forgot to mention this but she is super aggressive when jumping out to stop the guard when her man sets a screen. I think this was a bit startling for the SJ guards who are used to that type of aggression.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom