St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess Geno will never stop cleaning his teeth at these things.

Reaction Score
Muhl is very efficient with the basketball, keeps her head up, good passer and moves without the ball. Not the fastest or best leaper but on D she was able to anticipate and get in the passing lane. Man-up D against Arkansas talent would be an issue but she really helps Paige on offense and it is a net positive. Another good tool in the toolbox for Geno.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thoughts:

1. Defense takes a lot of effort: when the game was on the line, in the first half, St J. was held to 12/12 = 24 and the D might have been the best of the season. In the 3rd quarter the game was perilously close to being garbage time...not to take anything away from Correa; A real offensive threat. But after halftime, the game felt almost over and defensive effort and focus has been know to relent at that point.

2. Show of hands: who missed Christyn, Aubrey, who remembers Anna? Not to disparage our injured former starters...but those who played, sure looked pretty good; and don't give me that crap, that those who are left have to step up...The future of this team is the young uns plus Mamma, Geno knows that, and I would not be surprised if future minutes bear that out.

On a day that the team's, offensive co-star, Ms. Mamma couldn't hit the side of a barn, the rest sure showed promise...Paige shot more, Aaliyah did her prime Tina imitation (Does she even have a better sense of timing as she rolls to openness)?...And Nika...Was it not only a few games ago that she was standing tearfully on the sidelines while Geno lit into her?
Tonight, It was a close contest between her and Paige as to whom made the most impressive passes. And as a bonus, she hit a bunch of shots Another BB whiz...Can't have too many.

Yet...there remains uncertainty...as I have proclaimed all season...It was 5 and 10 (not the old chain store...wins and losses) St. John's tonight, not a top-team.. we'll know a lot more after South C...but I imagine Geno is taking the long view...We may lose again, even Marquette is no push-over...but the identity, individual abilities, and cohesiveness of the kiddie corps is coming into focus...and coach has a lot of gifted, fearless youth to work with.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Interesting that CW didn't tell Geno she "couldn't go" until halfway through pregame warm ups. A contrast to Nika's "just put more tape on it."

Reaction Score
Interesting that CW didn't tell Geno she "couldn't go" until halfway through pregame warm ups. A contrast to Nika's "just put more tape on it."
I don't get your point or comparison: two different players with different injuries--and you don't know the intent of their respective injuries. So what is interesting about this?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's not fair. CW had every incentive to play considering she was coming off arguably the best game of her UCONN career. Both players were injured. We don't know that they were equally injured. One player was injured enough to be able to play the other was not. No need to contrast the players this way as to imply one was tougher than the other.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't get your point or comparison: two different players with different injuries--and you don't know the intent of their respective injuries. So what is interesting about this?
I would think a starter who was injured in morning shoot around would bring it to her coach's attention before late afternoon shortly before game time that she could not go. I was too cryptic about Nika, but she did not take herself out of the line up, merely asking for more taping. Nika is a warrior. I think there is a contrast with CW in that regard. I believe it was yesterday when Geno said Nika had grit enough for more than one person but there wasn't a lot more of it "around here."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That’s not fair. CW had every reason to want to be out considering she was coming off the best

That's not fair. CW had every incentive to play considering she was coming off arguably the best game of her UCONN career. Both players were injured. We don't know that they were equally injured. One player was injured enough to be able to play the other was not. No need to contrast the players this way as to imply one was tougher than the other.
Perhaps I am being unfair.

Reaction Score
Was everyone shocked when Paige missed a 3 as i was? this kid looks like she could average 40 points per game if she only wanted to...
I think she gets tired. She played 39 minutes tonight, and a bunch of her mid-range attempts started clanking as the second half wore on. I get Geno wants her to shoot more, but you don't want her pressing either and jacking up shots just for the sake of it.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Perhaps I am being unfair.
Don't know if he meant to but Geno did sound disappointed post-game when he said "Christyn told me she couldn't go". My measured take after a little refection is that a) she tried to get through warm ups -- that's what players are gonna do; b) given all the BY talk about CW needing to be a slasher/defender/rebounder and not a hang-around the three-point line player, her playing through a bad ankle probably wouldn't help in that regard; c) it was a good night to see what some others can do. Aaliyah had a great game, being in the flow and keeping herself on the floor. Mir is earning her minutes even if Geno thinks she's lobbing hand grenades in the direction where she thinks the rim is. I'm still not sure Saylor can work herself into being a rotation player this year but it looks like she's being given the opportunity to try. Geno did say that Anna is not close to being back, so that may be a factor in Saylor getting a look. All-in-all probably a good night to give Christyn a rest with a heavy schedule coming up. Haven't seen much post-game talk about Aubrey, but in-game I heard chatter about back spasms, a bang to the knee and/or maybe ankle issues of her own. Fog of war, I guess, but it makes sense to be careful with her as well. Having both Aubrey and Mir available lets him keep a board crasher in for most of the game. If he's only got one of them, then he has to go smaller more often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom