Squatters | The Boneyard

Squatters

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I bought a house for my mother ten years ago. She died two months later, and my sister has live in the house rent free until June of this year.

Another relative is staying at the house and has made no rent payments, and has no job. He keeps telling me he's starting work on Monday. I don't think he's even looking.

With covid renter protections, and basically screwed until the protections are lifted?

Worth noting, I have no signed lease or renters agreement.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What city and state is it in? The CDC moratorium was struck down, but local and state prohibitions may be in place. Plus there are all sorts of complex rules on evictions even without the Covid moratorium.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What city and state is it in? The CDC moratorium was struck down, but local and state prohibitions may be in place. Plus there are all sorts of complex rules on evictions even without the Covid moratorium.

PA

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Call law enforcement, begin eviction. Then file for a writ of possession with the local courthouse.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I thought that was only for non payment and Lease expirations were fair game.

Either way it was wildly unconstitutional

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's not a really a squatter since presumably he entered at your invitation. He may not be a tenant either. Does he pay rent? Has he ever?
How long has he been there? Does he pay utilities? Does he get his mail at this address? It there any fixed period of occupancy?

As someone else noted above there are a lot missing facts in your description.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
After you get done talking about all the legal angles, let me know if you want the redneck solution to your problem.

(No, it doesn't involve guns).
I think we need to hear this…

I feel for you @temery. Family taking advantage of kindness is incredibly frustrating.

Does this have anything to do with you purchasing a cow or a pig?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This would be a great law school exam question...lots of issues...no lease, invited on the property by prior tenant...or was it a guest, not a tenant......

Courts are probably incredibly backed up now and your legal fees could have this costly both in $$ and time.

Easiest/cheapest solution IMO if they won't leave at your request is to pay them to go away....

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I bought a house for my mother ten years ago. She died two months later, and my sister has live in the house rent free until June of this year.

Another relative is staying at the house and has made no rent payments, and has no job. He keeps telling me he's starting work on Monday. I don't think he's even looking.

With covid renter protections, and basically screwed until the protections are lifted?

Worth noting, I have no signed lease or renters agreement.
Light a potato chip bag near an outlet. Thank me later.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reaction Score
Legal Services is akin to Legal Aid, meaning it is for lower income clients.

Contact the PA Trial Lawyers Assoc. and they should be able to give you the name of one of their members who handles landlord-tenant matters and then your concerns will be addressed by an attorney knowledgeable in this field.

Or, contact the PA Bar Association and have them help you access committee members for the Landlord Tenant section if there is one. Anyone on the committee should know the law on this subject.

Reaction Score
'Yes, the house is in my name. Selling isn't going to happen with an occupant who won't leave. My guess is he will not allow access to the house to anyone.
Is shutting off the utilities illegal?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom