Springtime for Hitler (2019 Season Thoughts) | The Boneyard

Springtime for Hitler (2019 Season Thoughts)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I very much hope that I am wrong.

I grabbed lunch at Maggie McFly's in Glastonbury last week. On my way back to the highway I was reminded of a great memory. I was with my daughter at Smiles for the Future the day after Christmas in 2016 when we learned Diaco was relieved of his duties.

We could go dig up the threads but I was convinced there was no way they were bringing back Edsall - wow was I wrong. I tried to get on board, I really did. Going into season three you really have to squint to make a case that we are any better on the field than we were on 12/26/16.

The record against FBS teams is ghastly. Two FBS wins in two years - the mess at Temple and Tulsa ending up 15 seconds short of a mindblowing comeback at the Rent. Pyrrhic victories would be fair to describe the two FCS wins.

Edsall's insistence of burning every roster to the ground has done him no favors. He goes into the season with 77 scholarship players because the annual caps can't overcome the mass exodus. A young paper thin roster that hasn't even started to pile up injuries - not that we'll know who is hurt, because Randy Edsall believes he should collect his paycheck under the cover of dark.

Returning to our thesis, I agree with the move to leave the AAC - but clearly it puts the football program on life support:

First you hire Randy Edsall - a coach who burned you worse than a nasty case of chlamydia. What's his selling point? He'll work for less than half the average AAC coach.

Second, after Edsall and Benedict combine to put together a horrible staff, the coaching exodus looks as bad as the player exodus. Much like the players, many of the coaches end up in.... better places.

Then you drop a bomb on the program, dropping it into independence - with everything from bowl tie-ins to scheduling immediately falling into chaos.

Which leads us to today: Edsall continuing to flounder on the recruiting trail and reduced to D-II transfers from schools that sound like they were created for an unlicensed Nintendo game. Multiple classes that wouldn't rate as acceptable for an average MAC team. I'm sure we are supposed to believe in the magic powers of Randy Edsall... but his lifetime head coaching record is 100-124. I haven't had the time not desire to confirm this - but I'm fairly certain that no head coach in major college football history will end up with more career losses and a career record under .500.

Only the most blind optimist can still think that the football program has any institutional support. Even if you believe the move to independence could be a positive - every other signal out of Storrs is that the football program is an annoyance that they would rather not deal with. Edsall treats the media and fans like annoyances that stand in the way of his 7 figure annual retirement program. Certainly when he spends the season jamming the ball into the line he is trying to bore us all to death.

Anyway - as far as how the season will go. The defense will be a bit better. The offense is going to be terrible. The offensive line is wildly overrated. The tight ends and receivers are totally undermanned. Beaudry was talking about the trouble Coyle has given him in practice - that's legitimately frightening. Maybe next year they will hire a qualified offensive coordinator (lol).

Prediction: If Beaudry is servicable the 2.5 win total is a coinflip. The schedule is sneaky soft. Wagner is a glorified high school program. Navy stinks. UMass blows. Temple blew their hire finally. Houston is overrated. ECU certainly aren't world beaters and come north in November. USF still employs Charlie Strong.

If Beaudry can't play - cover the children's eyes. If they have to play SJ, then back to back 1-11 seasons are in play.

If Beaudry stays healthy I'll take 3. If he doesn't make it through the season, gimme 2.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard to argue with any of that. Edsall has always been prickish. He has always been douchy to the fan base. Now you have no fan base or much of one. The fact that he is working for so little relative money has seemed to give him an extra long rope.

I think the OL is the best part of the team so i differ there even if i thought SU exposed both tackles last year.

I remember not much being expected from the team year 1 of Lorenzen and they came out and had a nice year. I'm not expecting 9 wins and a conference title but as you said the schedule isn't murderers row..

Reaction Score
It's hard to disagree with any of that.

I am praying that we finally catch a break at QB and have found a diamond in the rough. But even if he is, look at our freaking offensive staff. We're going to be running zone right and zone left for half the game. How are we not taking any chances on the hires there? Obviously it's because Randy wants total control but at this stage in his career, you'd think he would loosen up.

Reaction Score

I grabbed lunch at Maggie McFly's in Glastonbury last week. On my way back to the highway I was reminded of a great memory. I was with my daughter at Smiles for the Future the day after Christmas in 2016 when we learned Diaco was relieved of his duties.

We could go dig up the threads but I was convinced there was no way they were bringing back Edsall - wow was I wrong. I tried to get on board, I really did. Going into season three you really have to squint to make a case that we are any better on the field than we were on 12/26/16.

The record against FBS teams is ghastly. Two FBS wins in two years - the mess at Temple and Tulsa ending up 15 seconds short of a mindblowing comeback at the Rent. Pyrrhic victories would be fair to describe the two FCS wins.

Edsall's insistence of burning every roster to the ground has done him no favors. He goes into the season with 77 scholarship players because the annual caps can't overcome the mass exodus. A young paper thin roster that hasn't even started to pile up injuries - not that we'll know who is hurt, because Randy Edsall believes he should collect his paycheck under the cover of dark.

Returning to our thesis, I agree with the move to leave the AAC - but clearly it puts the football program on life support:

First you hire Randy Edsall - a coach who burned you worse than a nasty case of chlamydia. What's his selling point? He'll work for less than half the average AAC coach.

Second, after Edsall and Benedict combine to put together a horrible staff, the coaching exodus looks as bad as the player exodus. Much like the players, many of the coaches end up in.... better places.

Then you drop a bomb on the program, dropping it into independence - with everything from bowl tie-ins to scheduling immediately falling into chaos.

Which leads us to today: Edsall continuing to flounder on the recruiting trail and reduced to D-II transfers from schools that sound like they were created for an unlicensed Nintendo game. Multiple classes that wouldn't rate as acceptable for an average MAC team. I'm sure we are supposed to believe in the magic powers of Randy Edsall... but his lifetime head coaching record is 100-124. I haven't had the time not desire to confirm this - but I'm fairly certain that no head coach in major college football history will end up with more career losses and a career record under .500.

Only the most blind optimist can still think that the football program has any institutional support. Even if you believe the move to independence could be a positive - every other signal out of Storrs is that the football program is an annoyance that they would rather not deal with. Edsall treats the media and fans like annoyances that stand in the way of his 7 figure annual retirement program. Certainly when he spends the season jamming the ball into the line he is trying to bore us all to death.

Anyway - as far as how the season will go. The defense will be a bit better. The offense is going to be terrible. The offensive line is wildly overrated. The tight ends and receivers are totally undermanned. Beaudry was talking about the trouble Coyle has given him in practice - that's legitimately frightening. Maybe next year they will hire a qualified offensive coordinator (lol).

Prediction: If Beaudry is servicable the 2.5 win total is a coinflip. The schedule is sneaky soft. Wagner is a glorified high school program. Navy stinks. UMass blows. Temple blew their hire finally. Houston is overrated. ECU certainly aren't world beaters and come north in November. USF still employs Charlie Strong.

If Beaudry can't play - cover the children's eyes. If they have to play SJ, then back to back 1-11 seasons are in play.

If Beaudry stays healthy I'll take 3. If he doesn't make it through the season, gimme 2.

No single entity has been responsible for more physical pain in my life than Smiles for the Future.

To be fair, sitting here in the future, my smile has turned out alright.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

All I got from this is that you chose to ate lunch at Maggy McFlys. That place is disgusting

Reaction Score
Expect a Randy rope a dope special. R, R, wideout screen or draw, punt. Put the fans and opponents to sleep.

Reaction Score
Expect a Randy rope a dope special. R, R, wideout screen or draw, punt. Put the fans and opponents to sleep.

The vaunted “1 yard and a cloud of dust” offense

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am at 2. Wish the survey threads still showed who voted for what. I picked 2. Gonna wait and see before I devote the time to go to each game. A game time decision as they say.

Reaction Score
All I got from this is that you chose to ate lunch at Maggy McFlys. That place is disgusting
You take that back. If you can't eat wheat/gluten like me, Maggie's is a lifesaver. It's one of the few places I feel safe eating out at. Never been sick from it.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nice write up Whaler. Sad how true most of it is. Can really only hope we start to put money behind the program at all levels, not just coaching staff but recruiting budget, staffers, etc, but that is doubtful.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We start each lunch with a prayer of thanksgiving that we didn’t have to go to EHHS

If it wasn’t for East Hampton you hayseeds wouldn’t know when to leave the cafeteria and go
back to vo-ag. (because you wouldn’t have a bell)

I went to Southington anyway - have you ever been to a city as big as that? Willimantic doesn’t count.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If it wasn’t for East Hampton you hayseeds wouldn’t know when to leave the cafeteria and go
back to vo-ag. (because you wouldn’t have a bell)

I went to Southington anyway - have you ever been to a city as big as that? Willimantic doesn’t count.

Growing up, Manchester legit felt like Manhattan

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Let’s just say, a lot is riding in tomorrow. Inflection point? I sure hope so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let’s just say, a lot is riding in tomorrow. Inflection point? I sure hope so.

Illinois maybe.

Tomorrow is just going to be running the ball with Mensah and Thompkins against a terrible FCS team.

I should have touched on the schedule cadence. A week 3 bye is awful. If they lose to Illinois they will be away for a month and will be totally forgotten by the USF game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Illinois maybe.

Tomorrow is just going to be running the ball with Mensah and Thompkins against a terrible FCS team.

I should have touched on the schedule cadence. A week 3 bye is awful. If they lose to Illinois they will be away for a month and will be totally forgotten by the USF game.

Well, given our recent history with FCS programs just covering the 17 pt spread would be something special. That would be step one. Play well against Illinois would be step two. It’s a two part inflection point (if that is possible).

Reaction Score
Nice write up Whaler. Sad how true most of it is. Can really only hope we start to put money behind the program at all levels, not just coaching staff but recruiting budget, staffers, etc, but that is doubtful.

Recruiting budget/spending comparison to P5 > more than most would think (the issue is getting better bang for your buck per se):

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom