Sports bucket list | The Boneyard

Sports bucket list

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Many here know I live in Florida now (no, I’m not retired, just relocated). Anywho, the Tampa Bay Lightning team is playing in the Stanley Cup Finals and the state is adither, including my husband and me. Long timers know I’m a big hockey fan so my husband and I are going to a game tonight, my first NHL hockey championship game.

I mentioned to my husband I can cross a Stanley Cup game off my sports bucket list then it occurred to me that I’ve seen other games on that newly-made-up list. How about you? The below is my list. If “your” sport isn’t on it, I’m not planning on going unless it falls in my lap.

COLLEGE
Final Four - women: Yes, Indy and Tampa
Final Four - men: Not yet
Football bowl game: Yes, Fiesta Bowl, Camping World Bowl
Hockey final: Not yet
World Series game: Not yet

PROFESSIONAL
USTA US Open: Yes, many times
Master’s Tourney (golf): Not yet
Another golf major: Not yet
Stanley Cup game: Yes, Tampa :)
World Series game: Yes, Boston
Super Bowl: Not yet
World Cup (soccer): Dithering, not a huge soccer fan but maybe some day

IN ITS OWN CATEGORY
Olympics: Not yet
AAU girls basketball game: Many, would like to see more

Reaction Score
Wow that's impressive!

My bucket list isn't big but I recently crossed off item #1: in May I went to Florida and witnessed a rocket launch from Kennedy Space Center.

It was everything I hoped it would be too.

:)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
COLLEGE
NCAA 1st rounds - women: Storrs (v GW maybe)
Football bowl game: Outback Bowl 2x

PROFESSIONAL
USTA - Nasdaq Open in Miami, Serena slayed a poor Russian in less than an hour

World Cup (women): 2003 - US v N Korea
World Cup (men): 1994 - Nigeria v Argentina, Mexico v Bulgaria

Bucket List:
WBB FInal Four in Tampa (if I can convince the hub to go rather than watch from home)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wow that's impressive!

My bucket list isn't big but I recently crossed off item #1: in May I went to Florida and witnessed a rocket launch from Kennedy Space Center.

It was everything I hoped it would be too.

Many years ago, on a perfectly clear night, I watched the space shuttle launch. It was and still is one of the most spectacular displays I have ever seen.

Reaction Score
Many here know I live in Florida now (no, I’m not retired, just relocated). Anywho, the Tampa Bay Lightning team is playing in the Stanley Cup Finals and the state is adither, including my husband and me. Long timers know I’m a big hockey fan so my husband and I are going to a game tonight, my first NHL hockey championship game.

I mentioned to my husband I can cross a Stanley Cup game off my sports bucket list then it occurred to me that I’ve seen other games on that newly-made-up list. How about you? The below is my list. If “your” sport isn’t on it, I’m not planning on going unless it falls in my lap.

COLLEGE
Final Four - women: Yes, Indy and Tampa
Final Four - men: Not yet
Football bowl game: Yes, Fiesta Bowl, Camping World Bowl
World Series game: Not yet

PROFESSIONAL
USTA US Open: Yes, many times
Master’s Tourney (golf): Not yet
Another golf major: Not yet
Stanley Cup game: Yes, Tampa :)
World Series game: Yes, Boston
World Cup (soccer): Dithering, not a huge soccer fan but maybe some day

IN ITS OWN CATEGORY
Olympics: Not yet
AAU girls basketball game: Many, would like to see more
I hope you make it to a CWS and go deep in the series so you can enjoy multiple days in Omaha. The support of the locals for the tourney is really amazing - especially if the locals "adopt" your team as a favorite.

Reaction Score
Many years ago, on a perfectly clear night, I watched the space shuttle launch. It was and still is one of the most spectacular displays I have ever seen.
How about, speaking of space, the manmade object cruising the night sky, Sputnik 1957, changed our lives forever.

Reaction Score

I believe it. The launch I saw took place on a somewhat hazy day so visibility wasn't all it could have been. Still, it was the thrill of a lifetime for this spaceflight fan!

I did get to see space shuttle Atlantis on display at the KSC Visitor Center. Truly an amazing spacecraft.

Reaction Score
I have had a Bucket List going for a while. Way, before Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman made their movie. When talking about this with friends I have always said do NOT wait until you retire to enjoy yourself or life. I just turned 64 this past week and have crossed off a few things that I have wanted to do.

With Nancy mentioning sports I have have done a few things on my list but there are always others.

Saw the UConn women win NCAA titles in Philly and New Orleans.

Been to countless NCAA Tournament games both for the Women and Men.

Have been to Bowl Games one being in Charlotte as UConn lost to Wake Forest.

In Baseball I have seen games at Fenway, Wrigley and Old Yankee Stadium.

Did a Midwest Sports trip with my son a few years ago. Stopped at the Little League Hall of fame; Pittsburgh for a Pirates game; plus other things; then went to Cincinnati for a Reds game; visit the Pete Rose Hall of Fame; saw Little Feat plus other things; drove up to Detroit for a Tigers game; visited the Ford Museum; the Ford Truck Plant plus other things; went to tour the University of Michigan from there then to Notre Dame. Heading to Chicago for a White Sox game then a Cubs game. Maddox vs. Clemens. Best game that I have ever seen. Saw the Treasures of King Tut plus other things; heading north from here to Milwaukee. Went to the brewery; saw the Brewers Stadium no game however; plus other things. Started heading home. Stopped in Indianapolis. Went to a Fever game; toured the Indy 500 Museum plus other things. Went to the Football Hall of Fame; then to Cleveland for an Indians game; visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; plus other things. Awesome trip.

On my still to do is attend an Alabama football game; a NASCAR race at Talladega and Tailgate at LSU.

Travel wise I have been to many places that I want to go to. I have swam with Dolphins in the Caribbean Sea and as Jack said I kissed the Most Beautiful Girl in the World as I have three granddaughters with my fourth arriving in August.

Awesome thread....https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...2ahUKEwiohdyO7cH4AhX4hYkEHbo8DdsQBSgAegQIAhAz

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've seen a fair amount of events, but certainly not every one. I'll use Nan's list as a template:

COLLEGE
Final Four - women: Yes, 9x
Final Four - men: Yes, NOLA Superdome 2003
World Series game: Not yet, though my son's alma mater won in 2003

PROFESSIONAL
Tennis Grand Slam: Not yet
Master’s Tourney (golf): Practice round only
Another golf major: U.S. Open 12x; PGA 1x; U.S. Senior Open 3x
Stanley Cup game: Not yet
World Series game: Yes, Phils v. Orioles
World Cup (soccer): Not yet
World Cup (WBB): Istanbul, Tenerife

IN ITS OWN CATEGORY
Olympics: Atlanta, Sydney, and London; Salt Lake City
Boston Marathon: 2x
New York Marathon: 4x
Penn Relays: 2x

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I hope you make it to a CWS and go deep in the series so you can enjoy multiple days in Omaha. The support of the locals for the tourney is really amazing - especially if the locals "adopt" your team as a favorite.

My late brother-in-law lived for decades in Omaha. I always found it a pleasant place to visit, except for the weather when we drove there for Thanksgiving. Way too many ice storms that time of year!

Reaction Score
Women’s final 4 Tampa
Travers Stakes Saratoga
Kentucky Derby not yet but have been to Churchill Downs
Several men’s and women’s BB regionals including the year Kevin McHale and Minnesota was in Worchester

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Realistic bucket-list item: attend the Big East WBB tourney

Not realistic: complete a nitrogen-man* triathlon (shoulders may never allow me to swim half a mile)

Out of the question: an Ironman triathlon

*nitrogen is 1/4 the atomic number of iron; a nitrogen man is a 1/4 ironman

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Realistic bucket-list item: attend the Big East WBB tourney

Not realistic: complete a nitrogen-man* triathlon (shoulders may never allow me to swim half a mile)

Out of the question: an Ironman triathlon

*nitrogen is 1/4 the atomic number of iron; a nitrogen man is a 1/4 ironman
For those 'special' people ;)

Atomic Weight is better than Atomic Number

Atomic # N=7 Fe=26
Atomic Weight N=14.007 Fe=55.847

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For those 'special' people ;)

Atomic Weight is better than Atomic Number

Atomic # N=7 Fe=26
Atomic Weight N=14.007 Fe=55.847
Oops! You’re right, it is atomic weight. :oops:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I've covered about 60 Triple Crown events, as well as races in Canada, Ireland, England, France, Italy, Sweden, Australia and Japan. I've also covered two Super Bowls, two World Series (and a Yankees Old Timers Game where I met Joe DiMaggio), two Olympics, four NHL championship series, one NBA Championship, one Grand Slam tennis event and one Nationals Finals Rodeo. I recall covering an indoor track meet at MSG (Milrose Games?) but I'm sure I'm forgetting some events.

I've never covered golf, which is just fine with me.

I've covered some fantastic female athletes but they've all had four legs (Ruffian, Personal Ensign, Winning Colors, Bayakoa, Go For Wand, Meadow Star, Paseana, Ta Wee, Lady's Secret, Miesque...)

What's missing? A UConn women's basketball game. I rarely leave my San Diego lair but if Ice Brady gets a homecoming game maybe @EricLA and @CTtoSanDiego can drag me--neither kicking nor screaming--to that game. Ah, Bucket List, complete.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't have a lot, I don't follow that many sports. By sports:

Women's Basketball - I have been to 3 final fours, numerous NCAA & WNIT games and a huge number of arenas
Women's Basketball (professional) - Been to WNBA games, including playoffs. Actually, some ABL games plus some other short lived league as well.
Men's Basketball - I always wanted to attend a game just to sense the vibe - did this, NIT semis in MSG (Rutgers)
Softball - College World Series - been 3 times

The following, wanted to do at least once, but rather follow on TV:
Football - NFL game - yes, a pre-season Giants / Jets game
a bowl game - yes, the Fiesta Bowl the year Arizona was there
NHL - years ago, several NY Rangers games

Baseball - a stadium thing - been to both Yankee Stadiums, Fenway and Wrigley, only one on a bucket list - Dodger Stadium

Odd events I have seen - were they on a bucket list, ??
  • Belmont Stakes Triple Crown win - Seattle Slew, I think
  • Watkin's Glen Formula One race

Not quite bucket list material, but would someday like to see the Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona Diamondbacks home games. I do root for the Cardinals, not the Diamondbacks.

Reaction Score
I believe it. The launch I saw took place on a somewhat hazy day so visibility wasn't all it could have been. Still, it was the thrill of a lifetime for this spaceflight fan!

I did get to see space shuttle Atlantis on display at the KSC Visitor Center. Truly an amazing spacecraft.
On topic: NC win yes, Indy. NC loss yes, Columbus the following year (bummer)

Off topic: Been to FLA several times when the kids were small.

1. saw the shuttle light its main engines and then shut down before the solid rocket boosters lit (bummer)
2. another time, saw the shuttle launch, spectacular!
3. another time saw the shuttle land, flew almost directly over the visitor's center. Double sonic booms like 2 rifle cracks. Was as impressive as a launch.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not as comprehensive a list as some, but some interesting items from back in the day.

-a bunch of games at Ebbets field...the most memorable: Joe Adcock's 4 HR game

-College BB at the Old Garden; the O'Brien twins beating NYU 102-101; the inept Rangers of the early 60's..."Harvey get off the ice."

-The Pat Summerall '58 kick in the snow at the Stadium.

-More snow at the Met's (3rd ? game) a doubleheader; they were winning when the game was called in the old Polo Grounds.

-the US Nationals at Forest Hills...Kenny Rosewall outfoxed the fav Lew Had with his amazing backhand passes and everybody's darling Maria Bueno outclassed power game Margaret Court

And although I wasn't at the Knick's celebrated Willis Reed win in '70, I was on a first date, invited to dinner (and more?) by a lovely miss, but I could only think of the game (Mark Albert's call on the radio), hardly touched her food and rushed out after the game to join the celebration outside the garden...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
FB_IMG_1655998409832.jpg

Reaction Score
I've covered about 60 Triple Crown events, as well as races in Canada, Ireland, England, France, Italy, Sweden, Australia and Japan. I've also covered two Super Bowls, two World Series (and a Yankees Old Timers Game where I met Joe DiMaggio), two Olympics, four NHL championship series, one NBA Championship, one Grand Slam tennis event and one Nationals Finals Rodeo. I recall covering an indoor track meet at MSG (Milrose Games?) but I'm sure I'm forgetting some events.

I've never covered golf, which is just fine with me.

I've covered some fantastic female athletes but they've all had four legs (Ruffian, Personal Ensign, Winning Colors, Bayakoa, Go For Wand, Meadow Star, Paseana, Ta Wee, Lady's Secret, Miesque...)

What's missing? A UConn women's basketball game. I rarely leave my San Diego lair but if Ice Brady gets a homecoming game maybe @EricLA and @CTtoSanDiego can drag me--neither kicking nor screaming--to that game. Ah, Bucket List, complete.
I don't see why Ice wouldn't get a homecoming game.... and I will be there... god willing... :)

Reaction Score
Accomplished:
  • Two women's Final Fours (2013 New Orleans and 2018 Columbus)
  • Three men's Final Fours (1963 Louisville, 1980 Indianapolis, 1982 New Orleans)
    • Louisville won its first championship in 1980
  • One "big" college bowl game - 2013 Sugar Bowl
  • Indianapolis 500 - 1983
  • Masters Golf Tournament - 2011
  • Ryder Cup - 2008
  • Solheim Cup - 2005
  • Countless Kentucky Derbies - first one in 1964
  • Two NFL games at Lambeau Field
    • This Kentucky boy is a lifelong Packer fan
  • WBB regular season games at Cameron Indoor Stadium and Carmichael
  • College football regular season games at Ohio State and Michigan
  • Serena Williams - Cincinnati 2018