Spence v Garcia who ya got? | The Boneyard

Spence v Garcia who ya got?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Watching...Spence by decision. Garcia starts slow typically and that may give Spence the time he needs to get acclimated after the accident.

Reaction Score
If Spence isn't affected by the car crash then he should take this rather comfortably.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Before the accident I’d have said Garcia had no shot. In fact, I’m not even sure Garcia was willing to fight Spence before the accident, but I’m not confident Spence is going to be able to shake the effects of the whole process... not to mention no tune up fight... seems odd for someone planning on getting back to 100% given the amount of ring rust (not to mention the insane recovery needed) he must have.

Spence has been one of my favorites for a while but it’s crossed my mind (and I hope I am and very well could be way off base) that there may be a chance he’s trying to get one last big pay day since he’s never going to be the same fighter

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Yes watching as well. We didn't get the UCONN game this afternoon so at least have to look forward to this.

I think that Spence will show he still has it and will take the decision.

Reaction Score
Spence is the common sense choice but im going fanboy tonight and say DSG pulls the upset by split decision. Anyone besides me watching?
I think Spence is one of the best pound for pound, in the world. I think he scores a KO after round 7.
I’ll try to watch on my phone.

Reaction Score
Before the accident I’d have said Garcia had no shot. In fact, I’m not even sure Garcia was willing to beat Spence before the accident, but I’m not confident Spence is going to be able to shake the effects of the whole process... not to mention no tune up beat... seems odd for someone planning on getting back to 100% given the amount of ring rust (not to mention the insane recovery needed) he must have.

Spence has been one of my favorites for a while but it’s crossed my mind (and I hope I am and very well could be way off base) that there may be a chance he’s trying to get one last big pay day since he’s never going to be the same fighter
.i.ght was set up/announced before the accident.
Really? You cant say f.i.ght? Thats what we`re doing now? smh

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Who?

1607226911917.png

Reaction Score
Great performance by Spence tonight and an utterly flat looking Garcia. Did too much waiting looking for the big counter when the right hand and left hook to the body were there. Disappointing performance. Now could we please get Crawford v Spence?!!!

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Spence showed he is back and is still the best. What I really like is that he is a genuine nice guy that is well mannered in the sport besides being world class. And I don't think Crawford will be able to outbox him if they do meet.

Reaction Score
Spence showed he is back and is still the best. What I really like is that he is a genuine nice guy that is well mannered in the sport besides being world class. And I don't think Crawford will be able to outbox him if they do meet.
Spence looked fantastic last night but and this is my only real complaint. He looked great against a guy who applied ZERO pressure on him. I still think Crawford is the best in the division and likely wins the match up which should absolutely be made for the summer. Word is though we might be seeing Manny v Spence next.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
I wonder after watching last night if Garcia is thinking about calling it quits soon. In recent past he has looked hesitant to let it go, but he is still tough as nails. Maybe his punching power is not what he thinks it is anymore as he has always been that guy to let you throw punches and just catch you and pounce.

Spence looked good. I think Crawford has the edge, but what a great fight that will be when/if it happens. I truly think it is a toss up if both are at the top of their game.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
On another note that was the first time I have seen Fundora live. Talk about a massive being for that weight class, it is just not fair. He will ultimately have to move up in weight as he gets older but he was impressive, albeit against a guy who has a ballooned record mostly fighting in Africa.

Reaction Score
Garcia doesn't apply pressure he is a classic counterpuncher He sets traps and looks to counter.Spence is too fast and quick avoiding giving any openings.its why garcia is 0-3 against the best in the division.At 33 his time may be up or he can simply be a stepping stone for up and comers at this point.i think he should consider becoming a commentator/analist.his days of winning titles are over,I don't see him beating anyone at the top

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Spence/Crawford would be an amazing match. I feel like I wouldn’t be surprised if Spence is able to dominate because he’s naturally bigger and stronger and I also wouldn’t be surprised if Crawford can dominate due to his skill and ring IQ...or it could be a cat and mouse back and forth

i can’t remember a match where it really felt like the full spectrum could happen

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe his punching power is not what he thinks it is anymore as he has always been that guy to let you throw punches and just catch you and pounce.
This is EXACTLY what the problem was last night and since hes come up to WW. DSG can hit no doubt about it but he is not the puncher he was at 140lbs. I think he can still be a player at WW but he cant sit around waiting for a big counter. For instance last night Spence who is a top skill boxer knows how to switch from defense to offense and back responsibly rarely leaving himself open to a counter so waiting for that opening like Garcia was doing is simply not going to work. Even if you connect you most likely arent going to hurt him enough to instantly change the course of the fight. The way you get to Spence is get into exchanges with him and he like everyone else becomes very hittable. Its the way Brook and especially Porter had success against him. YOu cant allow Spence to dictate the pace of the fight because he`ll pick you apart and hes not going to make mistakes to let you capitalize on. We saw the result of that last night.

Reaction Score
This is EXACTLY what the problem was last night and since hes come up to WW. DSG can hit no doubt about it but he is not the puncher he was at 140lbs. I think he can still be a player at WW but he cant sit around waiting for a big counter. For instance last night Spence who is a top skill boxer knows how to switch from defense to offense and back responsibly rarely leaving himself open to a counter so waiting for that opening like Garcia was doing is simply not going to work. Even if you connect you most likely arent going to hurt him enough to instantly change the course of the beat. The way you get to Spence is get into exchanges with him and he like everyone else becomes very hittable. Its the way Brook and especially Porter had success against him. YOu cant allow Spence to dictate the pace of the beat because he`ll pick you apart and hes not going to make mistakes to let you capitalize on. We saw the result of that last night.

Not sure he can break that counter pattern against top competition. All 3 big fights same problem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure get can break that counter pattern against top competition. All 3 big fights same problem.
Yup. Only difference was Thurman and Porter are easier to hit because they arent as technically sound as Spence. Id like to see Garcia come forward being a lot busier causing openings for counters. That is what he needs to do to be mores successful. I just dont think he is that type of fighter and thats a problem. Too one dimensional.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
These boxing threads where almost every post displays a good amount of reason and knowledge are always a nice change of pace from the rest of the board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom