South Carolina Asst McCray-Penson to be named Head Coach at ODU | The Boneyard

South Carolina Asst McCray-Penson to be named Head Coach at ODU

HGN

Reaction Score
Being on a winning NC team , either as a coach or player , has its privileges and perks. Everybody wants to know what you know and perhaps how its done.

Good Luck Nikki.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
One of my favorite all time players at Tennessee. Hopefully she can restore ODU to their winning ways again.

Reaction Score
Being on a winning NC team , either as a coach or player , has its privileges and perks. Everybody wants to know what you know and perhaps how its done.

Good Luck Nikki.

Is the ODU job a perk?

When your former coach leaves to take a lateral position at UNCW, it suggests things aren't so good.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I wonder if Melanie Balcomb will "officially" fill in as assistant coach now that Nikki is gone.

There have been rumors of Balcomb being considered for the Georgetown opening.. but if not, I'd like her to move to the sideline... but only if Balcomb is really dedicated to recruiting. Nikki was a great recruiter for us.. was instrumental in putting our 2014 class together and was really making progress with our 2018 class.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
One of my favorite all time players at Tennessee. Hopefully she can restore ODU to their winning ways again.
she should have been hired my Tennessee in that case

Reaction Score
Is the ODU job a perk?

When your former coach leaves to take a lateral position at UNCW, it suggests things aren't so good.

I think so. ODU could be a win-win. Low expectations. If McCray does well in 2-4 years, she looks like a great coach, which she is. If things don't pan out in that same window, she can move on and nobody questions her moves. Critics/fans will blame it on not being able to recruit, the lack of support from the school, an other reasons. So this is a win-win.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Is the ODU job a perk?

Until the late 1990's ODU was one of the top programs in the country. The played for a national title in 1997.

Reaction Score
Until the late 1990's ODU was one of the top programs in the country. The played for a national title in 1997.

Yes I know that.
But as I said before: their coach just left for a LATERAL JOB. Rarely is that a good sign.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes I know that.
But as I said before: their coach just left for a LATERAL JOB. Rarely is that a good sign.

Maybe she just wanted another job at a Southern coastal port city. After a few years in Wilmington... Look for her to pop up at the College of Charleston. Working her way down the Atlantic seaboard :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think so. ODU could be a win-win. Low expectations. If McCray does well in 2-4 years, she looks like a great coach, which she is. If things don't pan out in that same window, she can move on and nobody questions her moves. Critics/fans will blame it on not being able to recruit, the lack of support from the school, an other reasons. So this is a win-win.

Being able to recruit and retain talented players that fit into her system will determine her fate. Top ranked potential recruits are not in a logjam at the door to get into ODU at this time. Perhaps McCray can change this. Low expectations is right.

ODU was a force in WCBB during the Anne Donovan era. ODU won a NC in 1985 (Marianne Stanley) against Georgia, and lost the NC game to Tennessee in 1997. Can McCray lift this program out of the ashes? Lets hope so.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom