Sooners QB Caleb Williams... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sooners QB Caleb Williams...

Reaction Score
The NCAA is corrupt. Nothing they argue for can be considered the right thing to do. Amateur sports as argument is a joke. Why does college have to be amateur? Why dont the players deserve to make some too. The tuition/room and board is the cost of doing business of football and a school should be willing to pay it. It should have no impact on NIL. If Nick Saban can make commercials with a duck why cant a player? What is the negative impact of a duck commercial. Or a local burger joint. How many local bank commercials are/where UCONN coaches on over the years.

And semi-pro as a option? What is this? 1915? Let's go work at the local lead paint factory and play on the team. No forward passes allowed.

Reaction Score
And big brand name universities would be perfectly fine. They would continue doing what their main misssions are, educating students and carrying out research on a huge variety of things from anthropology to zoology. You might be shocked to know that most of the top national universities don’t play big time football. In basketball most are at best mid-majors. Many, MIT, UCHIGAGO, Carnegie-Mellon, Tufts, are D3. So seems to me the outcome is pretty one sided if the schools decided to eliminate teams and big time athletics. As to “all the money” the schools get, the Uniersity of Michigan’s annual general fund budget is over $2 billion. UConn’s is 1.6 billion. UConn has another $1.4 billion for other university affiliated entities like The Medical facilities and I would bet Michigan has at least that much in other budgets. Really athletics are couch cushion money For a major university.
If they were content doing that, they wouldn't be begging and paying.

This is basic business. If the kids weren't worth it, no one would be paying.

Reaction Score
But entertainment has to care about its product. How entertaining is college sports going to be if, every year, Kentucky buys the best five players from the prior year, and Duke the next five, etc., etc?

And that would be different in what way? The top schools in every sport get the cream of the crop. It has always been that way.

As for players leaving, we just watched a coach leave one of the most storied positions in American sports while that team had an outside chance of playing for a national title. No one is accusing Brian Kelly of ruining college sports. Lincoln Riley just left a place where he was a king. Why? Supposedly the hotshot coach of one of the best programs in the nation was too scared to compete in a tougher conference. That bother me a lot more than kids transferring.

Reaction Score
And that would be different in what way? The top schools in every sport get the cream of the crop. It has always been that way.

As for players leaving, we just watched a coach leave one of the most storied positions in American sports while that team had an outside chance of playing for a national title. No one is accusing Brian Kelly of ruining college sports. Lincoln Riley just left a place where he was a king. Why? Supposedly the hotshot coach of one of the best programs in the nation was too scared to compete in a tougher conference. That bother me a lot more than kids transferring.

That’s not true. I’ve said for a decade that the NCAA should bar its members from hiring someone else’s coach until after the season.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That’s not true. I’ve said for a decade that the NCAA should bar its members from hiring someone else’s coach until after the season.

Agreed. And to do that you need to fix the recruiting timeline as well.

Reaction Score
Agreed. And to do that you need to fix the recruiting timeline as well.
No, you don't. It makes sense to but you don't. It simply means that if you're going to hire someone else's head coach who is under contract, you're going to basically lose a year of recruiting. If everyone is playing by the same rules, so what?

the Q

Reaction Score
No, you don't. It makes sense to but you don't. It simply means that if you're going to hire someone else's head coach who is under contract, you're going to basically lose a year of recruiting. If everyone is playing by the same rules, so what?

Fair enough.

I’m pointing out that recruiting is the driving factor there.

The thing is, I wonder if that makes g5 guys less likely to jump since they’re eating a year without reinforcements (unless they raid their prior team via the portal).

the Q

Reaction Score

I’m fine if everyone does play by the same rules.

Or even nfl style rules.

Reaction Score
It is 2022, stop looking at things like we are still in the 1960s, just because the NCAA still defines student-athletes as amateurs. The money star players generate for their universities is through the roof. It was long past time that players get to profit off all of their hard work beyond just free education. For every Caleb Williams, there are thousands of kids who will never see a dime beyond the scholarship and stipends they currently receive. The only insanity that needs to stop is people getting upset because a kid has a chance to make money while playing a college sport, especially so in football where a playing career could be ended due to injury at any moment long before they can cash in on any pro money.

Also, last I checked, there is no minor league system for football and there never will be while the NFL has one for free with college football.
While we are at it, end 501(c)3 status. Times have changed

Reaction Score
While we are at it, end 501(c)3 status. Times have changed

End 501(c)(3) status for what? Universities?

The fact that individuals make salaries that people view as overly generous is very different than shareholders profiting because the university as a whole generates net income. We don't tax non-profits because since no one gets the profits, the money presumably gets poured back into public uses.

Athletic departments are a very small part of universities. The fact that coaches make a lot of money is hardly a reason to tax the entire university.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It is 2022, stop looking at things like we are still in the 1960s, just because the NCAA still defines student-athletes as amateurs. The money star players generate for their universities is through the roof. It was long past time that players get to profit off all of their hard work beyond just free education. For every Caleb Williams, there are thousands of kids who will never see a dime beyond the scholarship and stipends they currently receive. The only insanity that needs to stop is people getting upset because a kid has a chance to make money while playing a college sport, especially so in football where a playing career could be ended due to injury at any moment long before they can cash in on any pro money.

Also, last I checked, there is no minor league system for football and there never will be while the NFL has one for free with college football.
What about all the non student-athletes? If they go onto great things and fame should the universities pay them? Should Harvard and Yale pay a stipend to all the students that graduated there and went on to become President of USA, Nobel Prize winners etc?
You are just looking at it from an athletic aspect. I go back to the old argument that they receive a free ride at a university that affords them the highest level showcase platform (free national visibility) and some of the funds generated by these athletes will compensate for that expense.
It was long past time that players get to profit off all of their hard work beyond just free education What a bunch of myopic crap that line is. Their profit comes as any student's does - in the working world. What about all those kids who study hard, do community work and other time consuming things to better themselves and shine a light on their school? Some athletes stay 1/2 of year, never go to class and work on their bodies and nothing else. College, especially in football, is basically their only route to get drafted, they get to attend a university gratis for that 1/2 year but they should get more? None of these 1 or 2 and done full scholarship athletes are straddled with tens of thousands dollars in student loan debt.
I smile to see your AD DB Burner moniker because you appear think like him, and that is a problem for college sports.
If you are so fervent about paying these kids, start your own football farm system and get financial backing from the Nike's and other corporate conglomerate dolts. This would allow places in college sports for true student athletes; taking the rent a players away. Baseball, and hopefully soon basketball, has the right ideas and work arounds.
As a player risks injury, any student can befall an issue that takes their ability to earn money to do what they dream away, but most students who complete their college tenure will have something else to hopefully fall back on - skills to do a myriad of different job responsibilities.
I am totally for giving stipends to all students on an as needed basis - too much attention is paid to the student athletes. Remember - a huge percentage that make millions playing pro sports give little or nothing back to the school that gave them a place to show off their talents on a national stage.
Carmelo Anthony, love him or hate him, is a rare occurrence with what he has done for Cuse.

Reaction Score
End 501(c)(3) status for what? Universities?

The fact that individuals make salaries that people view as overly generous is very different than shareholders profiting because the university as a whole generates net income. We don't tax non-profits because since no one gets the profits, the money presumably gets poured back into public uses.

Athletic departments are a very small part of universities. The fact that coaches make a lot of money is hardly a reason to tax the entire university.
Yes for universities.

Reaction Score
What about all the non student-athletes? If they go onto great things and fame should the universities pay them? Should Harvard and Yale pay a stipend to all the students that graduated there and went on to become President of USA, Nobel Prize winners etc?
You are just looking at it from an athletic aspect. I go back to the old argument that they receive a free ride at a university that affords them the highest level showcase platform (free national visibility) and some of the funds generated by these athletes will compensate for that expense.
It was long past time that players get to profit off all of their hard work beyond just free education What a bunch of myopic crap that line is. Their profit comes as any student's does - in the working world. What about all those kids who study hard, do community work and other time consuming things to better themselves and shine a light on their school? Some athletes stay 1/2 of year, never go to class and work on their bodies and nothing else. College, especially in football, is basically their only route to get drafted, they get to attend a university gratis for that 1/2 year but they should get more? None of these 1 or 2 and done full scholarship athletes are straddled with tens of thousands dollars in student loan debt.
I smile to see your AD DB Burner moniker because you appear think like him, and that is a problem for college sports.
If you are so fervent about paying these kids, start your own football farm system and get financial backing from the Nike's and other corporate conglomerate dolts. This would allow places in college sports for true student athletes; taking the rent a players away. Baseball, and hopefully soon basketball, has the right ideas and work arounds.
As a player risks injury, any student can befall an issue that takes their ability to earn money to do what they dream away, but most students who complete their college tenure will have something else to hopefully fall back on - skills to do a myriad of different job responsibilities.
I am totally for giving stipends to all students on an as needed basis - too much attention is paid to the student athletes. Remember - a huge percentage that make millions playing pro sports give little or nothing back to the school that gave them a place to show off their talents on a national stage.
Carmelo Anthony, love him or hate him, is a rare occurrence with what he has done for Cuse.

Where did I say anything about universities paying student-athletes? This whole discussion is based upon NIL and the small percentage of student-athletes both talented enough and marketable enough to take advantage of these new opportunities.

Reaction Score
Without the players, "big brand University" wouldn't have a product to put on the field. The coaches wouldn't have anyone to coach, the sponsors wouldn't have anyone to sponsor, and the networks wouldn't have the sport(s) to broadcast. NIL was long overdue.

Don't like it, stick to watching high school sports.
Nope. There are plenty of athletes willing to play for a scholly and did for a very long time.

Reaction Score
Yes for universities.

Brilliant idea. We tax corporations on income. State and private universities don't make net income. They spend more than they make and make up the difference with either taxpayer money or charitable gifts. So what's your plan, Stan?

Reaction Score
Nope. There are plenty of athletes willing to play for a scholly and did for a very long time.
Incredibly naïve to make that argument as if the players 1) had a choice and 2) weren't often paid under the table anyway.

Must be new to college sports, you've got a lot to learn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where did I say anything about universities paying student-athletes? This whole discussion is based upon NIL and the small percentage of student-athletes both talented enough and marketable enough to take advantage of these new opportunities.
He's lost. In more ways than one.

Reaction Score
The ncaa won't do anything about it because what are they really going to do? Tell them they're suspended if they don't take the money? Fat chance. They'll get taken to court and lose.

Reaction Score
If they were content doing that, they wouldn't be begging and paying.

This is basic business. If the kids weren't worth it, no one would be paying.
And the problem is? I go to Wesleyan games on occasion and just walk in. No tickets. Players graduate with real degrees in 4 years. They don’t pretend they are students.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom