Sooners QB Caleb Williams... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sooners QB Caleb Williams...

Reaction Score
Lol to Saban talking about an imbalance as to who dominates college football.
I know we want to get on Saban and Alabama, but I do think Saban is being true to his heart here. He wants players, he recruits the top players. There is no reason Bama wouldn't benefit from free agency. But, Saban knows it isn't good.

All i am thinking is we are lucky T Boone Pickens is gone. He'd go a million per year per players on the 85-man squad. Here's the issue. How many players can reasonably assume to get any money?

Reaction Score
One of the biggest issues I see for college athletes if they become "employees" or are making large sums of money is that tuition reimbursement by an employer over a certain level is taxable, so would some portion of college athletic scholarships for "employees" become taxable?

I think student athletes should have two choices:

1) Receive a scholarship with cost of attendance and athlete benefits tax free.

2) Have college athletes pay taxes on their wages and benefits including tuition reimbursement as "employees".

I think the vast majority of athletes would choose option 1, but athletes with large NIL opportunities, like Paige Bueckers, would choose option 2.
I'm confused by this scenario. Athletes with NIL deals are not receiving any wages from the university and NIL money is taxable already. The scholarships are not part of an employee compensation package though. There would be no difference between this scenario and a student with a non-athletics scholarship, who happens to be making an income on non-university endeavors. Should scholarships be taxable for them?

Reaction Score
I'm confused by this scenario. Athletes with NIL deals are not receiving any wages from the university and NIL money is taxable already. The scholarships are not part of an employee compensation package though. There would be no difference between this scenario and a student with a non-athletics scholarship, who happens to be making an income on non-university endeavors. Should scholarships be taxable for them?
Yes. I worked my way through school a lot, I paid taxes. Why not tax student who gets something free that I have to pay for with after tax dollars?

Reaction Score
Yes. I worked my way through school a lot, I paid taxes. Why not tax student who gets something free that I have to pay for with after tax dollars?
Any of these athletes making NIL money will also be paying taxes. Is your argument that any student who receives a scholarship should be paying taxes on the value of it?

Reaction Score
Scholarships aren’t taxable, but income is taxable. They can’t classify students as employees be chase then scholarships are remuneration for services, which is taxable.

That said, NIL is absolutely and should be taxable.

If you are a cheerleader in scholarship and hold cheerleading camps, that income is taxable. But the scholarship to go to school isnt a job.

Two points:

1. Getting athletes into a union and classified as an employee is a disaster for all parties.

2. I guess Congress could just carve out a college sports exemption on taxes.

Reaction Score
Scholarships aren’t taxable, but income is taxable. They can’t classify students as employees be chase then scholarships are remuneration for services, which is taxable.

That said, NIL is absolutely and should be taxable.

If you are a cheerleader in scholarship and hold cheerleading camps, that income is taxable. But the scholarship to go to school isnt a job.

Two points:

1. Getting athletes into a union and classified as an employee is a disaster for all parties.

2. I guess Congress could just carve out a college sports exemption on taxes.
If I’m reading what you wrote correctly, I think we agree on this. I think there is a fundamental issue and misunderstanding from the folks saying scholarships should be taxable.

Reaction Score
While we are at it, end 501(c)3 status. Times have changed
Now we're talking.
There are a number of schools which have placed their Athletic Departments in separate corporations. I think Texas was the first and that was quite a few years ago.
So, if they're already operating as separate corporations, what would their charitable purpose be that would qualify them for 501(c)3 status?

Reaction Score
Speculation on ESPNU satellite radio this afternoon is that C.W. will officially announce later that he's transferring to USC. Surprise, surprise!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom