Sonoma or Napa? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sonoma or Napa?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Only been to Napa and that only on a day trip years ago on a scalding hot August day. We visited some large more commercial wineries and some very good more local. In those days few were charging. The most striking looking big winery was Beringer. Other than that, I wish I could remember the names of the 2 or 3 smaller vineyards producing some robust reds. Have fun.

pj

Reaction Score
Waste of money.

Two boxes of wine and a stay in the Champagne Tower Suite at Covehaven Resort in the Poconos is the call here, Romeo.

F0-C92-D31-579-A-4-C06-BD3-B-1003-E5-CDB938.jpg
Do they have a handicapped-accessible champagne glass?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
My daughter is director of operations at Domaine Carneros, I visit every 6-8 weeks and was just there last week. @DaveHuskiesFan had some good suggestions. There are great things to do in both valleys and you should be able to do both valleys in 3 days.

As stated above make reservations now. I can get you into Domaine Carneros but many of the wine rooms fill up even though they can cost $100 - $200 per person. Most are $50 - $100 and they wave the fee if you buy enough wine.

Persoanlly I think the best base to stay is Napa City. From Napa you can easily get to Napa Valley and also Sonoma Square is less than 20 minutes and Healdsberg is about an hour+ away - Calistoga is 30-45 minutes depending on traffic.

Adding to @Dave's in Sonoma Square I'd consider the Edge Restaurant (part of Stony Edge WInery) - word is it will be getting a MIchelin Star shortly and on Thursday nights you can see Robert Kamen who wrote Karate Kid. Sunflower Cafe is a favorite as well for lunch or brunch - Girl and the fig is great as in La Soulatte. I really enjoy walking around the square and the Chocolate Cow or Sweet Scoops for ice cream is a nice topper.

Healdsberg is also fun to walk around and they have a hotel restaurant that has a wine wall where you can get some of the world's finest by the ounce - The Matthiason. I belong to the Journeyman sausage of the quarter club - amazing chacuterie.

In Napa Valley, as stated above Mustard's is a favorte, Charter Oak is great, Kenzo in Napa CIty - there are many many incredible restaurants - Yountville alone has Lucy, Bouchon, Bistro Jeanty not to mention the French Laundry. In Napa I like stopping at Model Bakery for a breakfast sandwich and Ritual coffee in the Ox Bow market neaxt door for breakfast or grabbing a croissant and coffee at Bouchon Bakery in Yountville. For lunch I order ahead at Gotts Roadside, Oakville grocery or the food truck at Clif Family winery (all between Oakville and St. Helena), then you can do an after lunch tasting nearby.

For wines I'd suggest FarNiente or Nickel & Nickel for big reds (either you can taste the same wines), Stony Hill for phenominal whites with a view of the Valley; Mayacamas - make the drive up Mt. Veeder - my favorite right now ; Pride at the top of Spring Mountain has great reds and whites. Bouchaine in Carneros would be a great one for both of you - they specialize in Pinots and whites. Trouchard is a small winery also in Carneros that has both Reds and whites and is very personal.

If you want to add beer to the visit - Russian River brew company in Windser and Mad Fritz in St. Helena both are great visits.

I can be overly enthusiastic - let me know if you want to have a private chat as I can add many many more or be very specific,, or if you can't get a reservation at Domaine Carneros!

Reaction Score
As stated above make reservations now. I can get you into Domaine Carneros but many of the wine rooms fill up even though they can cost $100 - $200 per person. Most are $50 - $100 and they wave the fee if you buy enough wine.
Wow, that much? We went to mostly medium to high premium places around Healdsburg and they were all $15 or $20 per person for 3-4 pours of different wines. They waived 1 fee for each bottle you bought. So for the 2 of us if we bought 2 bottles the tasting room fee was waived for both of us. Most of the places were very casual and you could talk to them about their wines. One place said forget the tasting fee and just kept pouring us wines as we talked. We went in mid-August and I don't think there were more than 10 people in any of the tasting rooms at a time. Maybe it's less crowded there than Napa?

Reaction Score
I asked a friend this same question about 15 years ago as he had visited and enjoyed both. However he strongly recommended Sonoma for it's more rural and laidback atmosphere. Good weather, good food and just a great overall vibe. Loved the entire experience.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Lived in both places for a year and both are great. As others have mentioned Napa is a little more prententious but the northern end of the valley is as charming as it gets. Calistoga is a must see. The hidden gem of Napa County is Casa Nuestra, an Elvis Presley themed winery in St Helena. A modest place with a fun story, fantastic wines and great prices compared to most other surrounding spots. Also Chateau Montelena in Calistoga is the place that put California wines on the map. The movie bottle shock was based off of it. For the “wow” factor, visit Castello d’amaroso in St. Helena. Place is a spectacle… wines are ok. Sterling has a cool tasting room that you have to take gondola up to get to. Nice views of the valley from up there.

You’ll have a good time wherever you end up though. Great food and drink everywhere you go, and people are super friendly

Reaction Score
Also Chateau Montelena in Calistoga is the place that put California wines on the map. The movie bottle shock was based off of it.
the winemaker who actually produced the award winning chardonnay left to found Grgich Hills

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'd say Sonoma. If you do Sonoma, some recs would include Peay Vineyards and Carlisle. If you do Napa and like cabernet, Neal Vineyards on Howell Mountain is worth the trip.

Reaction Score
Stop by sausalito for lunch on your way in or out.

Joinery
Bar bocce
Le garage

Great water views...

If in a hurry stop by Davey Jones at the bait shop for a sandwich.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We stayed in Healdsburg, which is in Sonoma. There must be 50 wineries within a few miles of the town. Lots of good wine and plenty of each of what you and your wife like. My brother lives in San Francisco and he said to stay away from Napa because it was too snooty with rich people from all over. It's much bigger with more to do, but Healdsburg was a nice small town with good restaurants. If you decide to go there let me know and I can give you more information on places to stay, wineries to visit and restaurants in Healdsburg.
I second Healdsburg - great little town.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Wow, that much? We went to mostly medium to high premium places around Healdsburg and they were all $15 or $20 per person for 3-4 pours of different wines. They waived 1 fee for each bottle you bought. So for the 2 of us if we bought 2 bottles the tasting room fee was waived for both of us. Most of the places were very casual and you could talk to them about their wines. One place said forget the tasting fee and just kept pouring us wines as we talked. We went in mid-August and I don't think there were more than 10 people in any of the tasting rooms at a time. Maybe it's less crowded there than Napa?
Well you can book Promenade for $200 a person but I wouldn’t. Yes, Napa has wineries that are less expensive like trefethen, trouchard (they supply most of the Chard grapes in the valley), and bouchaine, usually wineries where they don’t pair with food - but the big cab houses can be very expensive - they’ll pour library wines for that amount and serve great tasting pairings. I’m not a big fan of the expensive names - Opus, Caymus, Quintessa, Alpha Omega or the soulless wineries like Prisoner or Hall - I think you can do as well at the Nickel&Nickel/Far Niente/Davis/Odette wineries. I am a big fan of Ridge in Lytton Springs in Dry Creek AVA but have come to love the Napa hill wineries - as I said - Mayacamas will add a library vertical and it’s wine is so good I’ve joined the club. The ride to the winery and then an ATV ride to the top of Mt. Veeder is worth the tasting room fee. Just tried Lang & Reed in St. Helena last week, reasonably priced and the owners do the pouring - they specialize in Cab Franc and Chenin Blanc and were not expensive. Stony Hill is about the best whites I’ve had and I joined the club to get out of the $95 tasting fee.

I did have some great less expensive wines in Sonoma - Lioco in Healdsberg, and Cobb pinot, Stony Edge, but the wineries can have some expensive bottles as well.

Some of the wineries I mentioned have incredible wine servers - at Mayacamas I had the former Somm at 1125 Madison and at Stony Hill the former Somm at Alinea. Also, I think you should ALWAYS tip the servers at least $20-$30/person and buy a few bottles to ship back, they get some credit for sales and I use Stagecoach in Napa to ship - drop the bottles off and go for a standard $75/case.

Sorry to sound like a know it all, I just spend so much time there now I’ve gotten to know the Valleys well.

Reaction Score
Was lucky enough to do Sonoma and Napa with my family back when I was 21. Didn't really like wine much back then and like it less now but getting buzzed several days in a row with my brothers and dad was pretty awesome. It was made more awesome that my brother is friend's with the son of the guy who owns Michel-Schlumberger in Healdsburg so we got a private tour and all the wine we wanted. Went to a bunch of places in Sonoma and Napa, the only other names I remember are Coppola and Williams Selyem. Calistoga is a really cool town and Sausalito and Tiburon are really nice.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Holy cow I must be old. The last time I went to Napa/Sonoma, tasting was free - they wanted you to buy their wines. We even tasted at Caymus and they included a Special Select Cab for free along with 5 other selections - just needed to book in advance.

Times have changed for sure.

Reaction Score
Lived in both places for a year and both are great. As others have mentioned Napa is a little more prententious but the northern end of the valley is as charming as it gets. Calistoga is a must see. The hidden gem of Napa County is Casa Nuestra, an Elvis Presley themed winery in St Helena. A modest place with a fun story, fantastic wines and great prices compared to most other surrounding spots. Also Chateau Montelena in Calistoga is the place that put California wines on the map. The movie bottle shock was based off of it. For the “wow” factor, visit Castello d’amaroso in St. Helena. Place is a spectacle… wines are ok. Sterling has a cool tasting room that you have to take gondola up to get to. Nice views of the valley from up there.

You’ll have a good time wherever you end up though. Great food and drink everywhere you go, and people are super friendly

I’ll second Castillo de Amarosa - amazing place. Not far from Sterling if I recall.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
I’ll second Castillo de Amarosa - amazing place. Not far from Sterling if I recall.
It was heavily damaged in the 2020 fire, I haven’t been there - I’d check to make sure it’s fully open.

Reaction Score
Yes

Sterling just due North in Calistoga.
The tram at Sterling is pretty cool and you get a great view of the valley from the winery

Reaction Score
IMO.. Depends on the vibe you're looking for and the budget you have to experience both regions. Paso Robles has excellent dining and is an up and coming wine region. More laid back and economical than either Napa or Sonoma if a consideration. Definitely worth a road trip from either Napa or Sonoma for a night or two.

Edit-- BTW.. Whichever region you choose and if you're into wine-pairing with food. I would suggest investing the time/money into a wine-pairing class offered by one of the wineries you're visiting. Has the potential to be transformational re: your perspective on food and wine as food groups.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
IMO.. Depends on the vibe you're looking for and the budget you have to experience both regions. Paso Robles has excellent dining and is an up and coming wine region. More laid back and economical than either Napa or Sonoma if a consideration. Definitely worth a road trip from either Napa or Sonoma for a night or two.
It's definitely worth considering the Paso Robles and Santa Maria Valley regions as an alternate destination given how much else there is to do in the area, but imo it would be nuts to make that trip from Napa or Sonoma if they only have three days. Between the trip there and back, one entire day would be spent in the car.

Reaction Score
It's definitely worth considering the Paso Robles and Santa Maria Valley regions as an alternate destination given how much else there is to do in the area, but imo it would be nuts to make that trip from Napa or Sonoma if they only have three days. Between the trip there and back, one entire day would be spent in the car.
I must have missed the three-day parameter criteria--in which case-- I totally agree with you. My bad on that

Reaction Score

Was going to say the same thing. We drive up to Big Sur once a year or so and our stop in Paso Robles generally means we've got about 2 and a half hours left, and you're talking several more hours from Big Sur to Napa. Big state.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom