Songs that reference US Historical Events or American Folklore | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Songs that reference US Historical Events or American Folklore

Reaction Score
SSgt. Barry Sadler, #1 Song in US for 5 weeks, 1966

sadler.jpg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There's loads of American history in this one. Every decade or so I expect it to become less current, but it never does. I think it's one of the best protest songs ever.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Just a few minor factual tweaks: It was 1977, and they drowned him in Buffalo Bayou, not Brays. There was also the part where they tried to book Torres into jail after beating him up severely. A police supervisor at the jail turned them away and ordered them to take Torres to the hospital, as he was in clear need of medical attention. Instead of going to the hospital, they took him to "The Hole" at Buffalo Bayou.

Two of the six arresting officers were convicted in state court of "negligent homicide"—a misdemeanor—and were given one year of probation and fined $1 each (yes, one dollar). Later, they and one other officer were convicted in federal court of civil rights violations and served 9 months in prison.

The year after his murder, Gil Scott-Heron wrote and performed a searing tribute to Torres:

I stand corrected, and thank you. A truly shameful incident.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
You must mean "gem". For me, that song belongs with Terry Jacks and Vicki Lawrence.

And for the record, Bo and the Heywoods did a superior "Who Do You Think You Are" as well

"And for the record..."
really? Gosh I hope you meant to punish us with that!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
folklore? nope. history. we brought the root word back from the us-phillipine war ('bundok'), and our version is as 'murican as apple pie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom