OT: - Song(s) your Parent(s) or Guardian(s) disliked | The Boneyard

OT: Song(s) your Parent(s) or Guardian(s) disliked

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I was lucky that my father loves music and was very open-minded about it when I was a kid. I‘m also lucky that I inherited that from him.

He’s a jazz fan. Loves Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington, both of whom I love, and Glenn Miller, whom I can take or leave. He loved Chicago and Janis Joplin, but make the jazz just a little modern and he couldn’t stomach it. Here’s one that he didn’t want to hear:

Reaction Score
Any and All Beatles' songs.....until various philharmonic orchestras started covering them. :D

Reaction Score
That, friend , is blasphemy.
Yah, I knew I was probably gonna draw some heat for admitting that, but that's how it goes.
No specific reason, but I just never got 'it' when it came to them.

(Dad was a Big Band/Mills Bros/Andrews Sisters guy, and Mom was a Country/Eddie Arnold/Hank Snow gal)

However, in my defense and maybe this will partially redeem my lost self, I DO own a Canadian Brass collection of all Beatles music.
I like the Canadian Brass and this is a cool CD.

Reaction Score
Song about mamma not dancing or daddy not into rock and roll. All the while a great dance tune. ;)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Party Doll by Buddy Knox
I'd play it over and over practicing my dance moves with my straw fedora, My Mother would peek around a corner with a horrified look on her face,
1656417911624.png

Reaction Score
Let me see If I can get this straight.

Parents-Beatles.JPG

My parents, who have been gone for over 20 years, and who would be over 100 years old if still alive today, are being negatively judged and dissed for their musical taste over 60 years ago, and because they had a change of heart when they were in a nursing home and came around to enjoying listening to Beatles instrumental music played by orchestras.

Tough crowd.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My father went nuts when James Brown had the cape placed over his shoulders and was helped off stage, only to come racing back to finish on Ed Sullivan. He was livid, and I am not sure what part of the display tipped him over the threshold. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't really remember my parents "absolutely hating" anything that I was listening to.

Reaction Score
Mom didn’t like hearing anything by Led Zeppelin ( my favorite band)
She thought some of my bad habits were the direct result of listening to them.
I told her I would practice the habits anyway, but she didn’t believe me

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

View attachment 77228

My parents, who have been gone for over 20 years, and who would be over 100 years old if still alive today, are being negatively judged and dissed for their musical taste over 60 years ago, and because they had a change of heart when they were in a nursing home and came around to enjoying listening to Beatles instrumental music played by orchestras.

Tough crowd.
In the late 60's EVERYBODY was doing the Beatles, from the Muzak folks (if it was a thing then, the people who evolved into Muzak if it wasn't) to Wilson Pickett and Richie Havens. Some of it to my taste, some not. I'll support you by playing another one, which I loved when I was 6 (and so did my middle sister and my folks):

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
@Bigboote is right about the prolific output of Beatles songs adapted by various traditional artists back then. This song in particular was done many times in many ways, some of them almost acceptable

Reaction Score

View attachment 77228

Tough crowd.
Orchestras do seem to have a way to mainstream rock songs and other hard driving songs to appeal to the remnants of an older crowd still alive.

Actually, because of the diversity of instruments, they do put out an interesting sound, that slows the beat considerably and I guess would appeal to a musical purist who thinks a rock beat dilutes the quality of a sound.

Here is an example below, and I like Avicci's sound a lot better.

My parents would be 100 if they were alive. They liked Lawrence Welk, Guy Lombardo and that type of music.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom