Some thoughts on the rankings and..... | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on the rankings and.....

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I watched the Stanford Oregon game last nite. Good game and 2 really good teams. Stanford has balance height and good shooters which allowed the middle to open up. Oregon when they got it going is a really good defensive team which will help them in the tournament. Stanford was up 15 at one point and down 5 in the 4th qtr and Oregon missed a couple of times with 12 seconds left. Either team couldve won the game. Oregon made a 20 pt turnaround against Stanford. Stanford has had a few tight games. IMO may not be a number 1 in the country but is definitely a 1 seed. With that said Oregon with the way they came back last nite will be a tuff out. One other point about that game. There seemed to be alot of pushing and shoving which are called in our games and wasnt called last nite. Just an observation.

It seemed to me that there is alot of luv for SC Stanford TAM and NC State. Theyre all good teams and on a good nite can beat a good team. Are they number 1? For me UConn is number 1. As poorly as some posters say UConn is playing theyve only lost one game, and were in almost immediate foul trouble in that game which took away their defense and made ARK look better on offense then they have been One other point Dungee went off and was pushing off blatantly and no fouls called. We lost that game by a basket. Alot of talk about our win against SC. Well the biggest call in that game was the 4th foul on Boston that was reversed sometime later which allowed her to stay in the game and keep SC in the game. Later when she did commit her 4th foul with UConn leading by something like 4-5 pts all the illegal screens were called and that allowed SC back in the game. IMO we couldve won that game by double digits and we should have.

I can see 8-10 teams that could win it all. The one thing UConn needs is more scorers. First our outside shooting will open up the middle to allow more scoring. Liv Evina and Christyn need to knock down more shots on a consistency basis and that will happen. I believe that because under pressure good players revert back to playing the game and thinking scoring instead of thinking mechanics.

As poorly as some posters think UConn is they find a way to win. Alot of that has to do with Paige who can make plays for her team mates and for herself. No other team in America has a Paige. The St Johns game will be interesting in that we will see where we are as a team. I still say we need a minimum of 20 games under our belt to see where we're at as a team and how we function cohesively and with confidence. Its coming together for this young team that has grit fight and a winning attitude. I expect to see a different team, a much improved shooting and scoring team over the next 10 days. We are number 1 right now and will only get better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I watched the Stanford Oregon game last nite. Good game and 2 really good teams. Stanford has balance height and good shooters which allowed the middle to open up. Oregon when they got it going is a really good defensive team which will help them in the tournament. Stanford was up 15 at one point and down 5 in the 4th qtr and Oregon missed a couple of times with 12 seconds left. Either team couldve won the game. Oregon made a 20 pt turnaround against Stanford. Stanford has had a few tight games. IMO may not be a number 1 in the country but is definitely a 1 seed. With that said Oregon with the way they came back last nite will be a tuff out. One other point about that game. There seemed to be alot of pushing and shoving which are called in our games and wasnt called last nite. Just an observation.

It seemed to me that there is alot of luv for SC Stanford TAM and NC State. Theyre all good teams and on a good nite can beat a good team. Are they number 1? For me UConn is number 1. As poorly as some posters say UConn is playing theyve only lost one game, and were in almost immediate foul trouble in that game which took away their defense and made ARK look better on offense then they have been One other point Dungee went off and was pushing off blatantly and no fouls called. We lost that game by a basket. Alot of talk about our win against SC. Well the biggest call in that game was the 4th foul on Boston that was reversed sometime later which allowed her to stay in the game and keep SC in the game. Later when she did commit her 4th foul with UConn leading by something like 4-5 pts all the illegal screens were called and that allowed SC back in the game. IMO we couldve won that game by double digits and we should have.

I can see 8-10 teams that could win it all. The one thing UConn needs is more scorers. First our outside shooting will open up the middle to allow more scoring. Liv Evina and Christyn need to knock down more shots on a consistency basis and that will happen. I believe that because under pressure good players revert back to playing the game and thinking scoring instead of thinking mechanics.

As poorly as some posters think UConn is they find a way to win. Alot of that has to do with Paige who can make plays for her team mates and for herself. No other team in America has a Paige. The St Johns game will be interesting in that we will see where we are as a team. I still say we need a minimum of 20 games under our belt to see where we're at as a team and how we function cohesively and with confidence. Its coming together for this young team that has grit fight and a winning attitude. I expect to see a different team, a much improved shooting and scoring team over the next 10 days. We are number 1 right now and will only get better.
Geno spoke about this yesterday in his pre St. Johns presser. His take on the season was very interesting saying I'm paraphrasing. It hard to build momentum from game to game because every thing is short term focus and a big "maybe". So you have a Tuesday morning practice for a Wednesday game "Maybe". You get tested in the morning and you hoping to have your full team for a practice "maybe".
We are used to UCONN teams building up to being something special in March and with this season that's just not happening. Will be a very interesting tournament I actually think it is more open than 8-10 teams.
Based on the reveal last night Kentucky would be the 16 seed in the tournament. Kentucky is going to be a dangerous team come tournament time. Arkansas didn't make the top 16 and they handed UCONN the only loss on the season.

Reaction Score
Stanford may be Uconn's toughest tourney opponent. They have someone named Wilson and a Wilson ball. So. Carolina has a statue of Wilson with a Wilson ball, but no longer have a Wilson, so they aren't as scary. God forbid the tourney gets cancelled. Dawn has been #1 twice this year and will hang the #1 banner yet again. Geno's four natty's in a row record may be in jeopardy. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford may be Uconn's toughest tourney opponent. They have someone named Wilson and a Wilson ball. So. Carolina has a statue of Wilson with a Wilson ball, but no longer have a Wilson, so they aren't as scary. God forbid the tourney gets cancelled. Dawn has been #1 twice this year and will hang the #1 banner yet again. Geno's four natty's in a row record may be in jeopardy. ;)
:eek: Why is Stanford, a Nike school using a "Wilson" ball anyway? :D.
:eek: Why is there a Wilson on the Stanford roster for a 5th season? I though it was SOP for Stanford to kick 5th year players to the curb or grad school so as to enrich the ND and Baylor programs.

Reaction Score
Great thread as always. Yeah watching that Stanford/Oregon game last night, just shows more proof that this season, if you aren't on your A game and not really locked in with focus, on any given night a team can sneak in and beat you. Naturally the SCs, Stanford, our beloved Huskies, and NC State are the front runners. But Baylor is peaking at the right time. Texas A&M is balling and they are flying under the radar! Same with South Florida. Not much talk about them unless you follow the AAC or a South Florida fan. Same with Gonzaga. Another program that is slowly coming up on the right side and nobody is paying attention...unless you are a fan or following their conference. Again, if teams aren't locked in and focused, it really doesn't matter where you are ranked. Teams are not scared to face these so-called Power 5 teams or top 10 teams anymore. They want that smoke!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well it is that time of the year. The 16 team reveal is out and the debate begins. So I don't get worked up over it. It is what it is.

The NCAA selection committee does the best it can but the process is flawed. The want a program, this year its NET, to plug in the data and spit out who is who. Then of course you can't have a league member in you first couple of games.

I get it. NCAA wants an unbiased seeding. Never going to happen. You have human beings, with all their built-in biases, making decisions. Why was Michigan not in the 16? According to the committee they haven't played enough games. Really!!!! Same with South Florida. BTW, since we moved from CT to FL we have had season tickets to the Bulls' games. Guaranteed we would see our Huskies live at least once a year. Again, no consideration for USF because they haven't played enough games.

The reality is UConn, SC, Louisville, Stanford, NC State, A & M, Baylor, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, Michigan could get hot and run the table of 6 games. It's a wide open tournament. Parity has arrived.

Reaction Score
I have been saying all year, it would not be a shock to me if the 12th ranked team in the country won it all and a 24th ranked team made it to the elite 8 and possibly to the final 4.

Should be a really interesting tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
:eek: Why is Stanford, a Nike school using a "Wilson" ball anyway? :D.
:eek: Why is there a Wilson on the Stanford roster for a 5th season? I though it was SOP for Stanford to kick 5th year players to the curb or grad school so as to enrich the ND and Baylor programs.
Stanford found themselves with an extra scholarship, endowed by an alum, and 2 potential 5th year players who wanted it: Carrington & Wilson. Carrington was in fact kicked to the curb (Waco) and Wilson got the precious Stanford scholarship for a 5th year.

Reaction Score
Well the biggest call in that game was the 4th foul on Boston that was reversed sometime later
it was not reversed “sometime later.” It was a mistake and was corrected immediately.
I don’t get why you continue to try to gin up a conspiracy where there is not one and perpetuate a false story.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Stanford found themselves with an extra scholarship, endowed by an alum, and 2 potential 5th year players who wanted it: Carrington & Wilson. Carrington was in fact kicked to the curb (Waco) and Wilson got the precious Stanford scholarship for a 5th year.

off thread topic but..... why would Wilson need a scholarship? Her big brother is a millionaire... why can't he just give little sister $100,000 to cover her final year at school?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
off thread topic but..... why would Wilson need a scholarship? Her big brother is a millionaire... why can't he just give little sister $100,000 to cover her final year at school?
I’m guessing that option never came up at family get togethers.

Reaction Score
Anna’s big bro at a Stanford-ASU game I went to in AZ...

Attachments

• 86B0FED2-AFF3-4857-866A-3B22C3B1F266.jpeg
    86B0FED2-AFF3-4857-866A-3B22C3B1F266.jpeg
    880.3 KB · Views: 65
Reaction Score
I have wondered about this (eg if one of Bill Gates' kids was a super athlete) but figured there's an NCAA rule about this. In a similar way to youre not being able to give someone a Track scholarship and then have them play Bball.

Also I believe you're only allowed to take 15 players on road trips.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have wondered about this (eg if one of Bill Gates' kids was a super athlete) but figured there's an NCAA rule about this. In a similar way to youre not being able to give someone a Track scholarship and then have them play Bball.

Also I believe you're only allowed to take 15 players on road trips.
Can the 16th player go in a private Gulfstream? ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom