OT: - softball: tonight last chance to see a Powerhouse? | The Boneyard

OT: softball: tonight last chance to see a Powerhouse?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
7:30 espn Oklahoma/Texas.
NCAA championship...best 2 of 3. Oklahoma leads 1-0. Yesterday's score...16-1.
If Texas wins tonight then Friday night's game will end it.

Oklahoma can field/pitch and really/really hit. Average and power.
They have several good hitters...several excellent hitters and one superstar type hitter.
Jocelyn Alo...2 time NPOY...hits the ball hard virtually every at-bat. Ground balls/liners/moon shots.
Averages over .500 for the season with over 30 homers...I think OU has a record around 56-3.

Texas beat them once in the regular season. OU won earlier in the world series by a relatively
civilized 7-2. OU actually lost to UCLA a few days ago and was 1-1 going into an elimination game.
Came out focused...15-1.

Alo is a senior...rest of of college world has to be thrilled about that. I don't know if 'professional' softball is
realistic. OU will be fine though.

Softball is entertaining to watch imo. Oklahoma is moreso.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
OU is bad for softball. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I tuned in about 15 minutes late and the score was 5-1. For UConn fans who make a living watching blowouts, it actually feels less satisfying in Softball. In the beginning of the WS, I was excited to see Alo but 5 HR's later, it has too much of a batting tee feel.

I am curious to see if the attendance figures for game 2 are anywhere near game 1.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The series is being played in Oklahoma City. It looked like a sellout last night...I would bet
that will be repeated.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
7:30 espn Oklahoma/Texas.
NCAA championship...best 2 of 3. Oklahoma leads 1-0. Yesterday's score...16-1.
If Texas wins tonight then Friday night's game will end it.

Oklahoma can field/pitch and really/really hit. Average and power.
They have several good hitters...several excellent hitters and one superstar type hitter.
Jocelyn Alo...2 time NPOY...hits the ball hard virtually every at-bat. Ground balls/liners/moon shots.
Averages over .500 for the season with over 30 homers...I think OU has a record around 56-3.

Texas beat them once in the regular season. OU won earlier in the world series by a relatively
civilized 7-2. OU actually lost to UCLA a few days ago and was 1-1 going into an elimination game.
Came out focused...15-1.

Alo is a senior...rest of of college world has to be thrilled about that. I don't know if 'professional' softball is
realistic. OU will be fine though.

Softball is entertaining to watch imo. Oklahoma is moreso.
You forgot to add that the starting OU pitcher gave up her 5th Earned Run (or maybe it was her 6th) of the season that raised her ERA to 0.53. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hope Trautwein's ERA was 0.58 at the start of the game. She is the pitcher who pitched a perfect game for North Texas State last year striking out all 21 of the batters she faced.

Not much drama in this WCWS as Oklahoma is so much better than everyone else this year. Alo is an awesome hitter for sure. She will set a number of NCAA records that may never be broken, especially with the extra games and at bats she got as a result of the Covid year.

Reaction Score
Great sport to watch. The skills and athletic abilities of the players always amazes me. I get to see a few high school games and always enjoy them. With so many very good teams, surprising to see one team so superior. The only chance an opponent has against OU is an outstanding pitching performance. I don’t think Texas can come up with that.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Hope Trautwein's ERA was 0.58 at the start of the game. She is the pitcher who pitched a perfect game for North Texas State last year striking out all 21 of the batters she faced.

Not much drama in this WCWS as Oklahoma is so much better than everyone else this year. Alo is an awesome hitter for sure. She will set a number of NCAA records that may never be broken, especially with the extra games and at bats she got as a result of the Covid year.
Yup, Hope has actually given up 11 earned runs this year, including the NCAA Tournament. 5 of those came in the Tournament.

And about Alo, it's unimaginable to think how many more HRs she has missed out on because of the run rule.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yup, Hope has actually given up 11 earned runs this year, including the NCAA Tournament. 5 of those came in the Tournament.

And about Alo, it's unimaginable to think how many more HRs she has missed out on because of the run rule.
Yes, but just to remember, she has had a 5 year career, although 2020 was a short season (24 games). Doesn't take away from anything, but it would be interesting to compare number of at bats for the HRs, although there might be an offset between the fact that softball teams play somewhat less games today vs her run rule situation.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
although there might be an offset between the fact that softball teams play somewhat less games today
I was wondering about that. I can't remember how many games teams used to play, but I thought it was significantly more than they do currently.

Reaction Score
Alo and Jennings are Women’s Softball version of Baseball’s Mantle and Maris
I was thinking Ruth and Gehrig but M & M fit also. According to the stats they flashed during the game, Jennings is actually ahead of the pace of Alo's first 2 years. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
The tournament was missing both FSU and Alabama, both bowing out early. Oklahoma has some real studs and as a team ranks right up there with some of the best.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
TX closes out 1at inning including a called 3rd strile on Alo.

TX with bases loaded in bottom of first. Can the upset happen? :eek:

Edit 1. Deep sacrifice fly pushes first TX run accross.

Edit 2. Another Deep Sac fly. 2-0 TX

Edit 3. Another Deep fly ball caught. Home run robbed. Three deep fly balls caught.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No. 10-5 final. Texas was playing darn good ball all post season, and OU outscored them 26-6 in the Championship series. Nobody had a prayer of beating the Sooners this year.
Whatever chance TX may have had, they blew it with alot of defensive lapses.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Feel bad for Hope Trautwein. She transferred into OU for the chance to contribute, even though the Sooners were adding the #1 pitcher in the freshman class. Then she goes undefeated until the Big 12 Championship game and ends the regular season with a .31 ERA (it was .16 before that Championship game). She had some hiccups in the NCAA Tournament and I am guessing that Patty Glasso wanted Hope to close out the season in the circle but it wasn't what everyone was expecting, giving up a 3 run homer in the 7th inning to end the season with a .77 ERA. But, they did win another Championship!!!!!

Reaction Score
The coach went into celebration mode before the game was over. After that HR, there was a look on her face that said, if I blow this, I’ll be coaching Middle School next year.

There were a couple of double plays by both teams last night that displayed how good the players are these days.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The coach went into celebration mode before the game was over. After that HR, there was a look on her face that said, if I blow this, I’ll be coaching Middle School next year.

There were a couple of double plays by both teams last night that displayed how good the players are these days.
Coaches get sentimental and in baseball and softball, games with no game clock and without the ability to bring players back into the game it can lead to bad things. I was thinking as the 7th inning began with pinch hitters and then the defensive moves in the bottom of the inning that it was also a little disrespectful for a victory lap to begin before the last out. While unlikely scoring 8 runs is certainly possible in a single inning. Shades of Boston keeping a defensive liability at first with the game almost won against the Mets flashed in my mind.

Alo in left didn't look comfortable and luckily her two chances were relatively simple.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Coaches get sentimental and in baseball and softball, games with no game clock and without the ability to bring players back into the game it can lead to bad things. I was thinking as the 7th inning began with pinch hitters and then the defensive moves in the bottom of the inning that it was also a little disrespectful for a victory lap to begin before the last out. While unlikely scoring 8 runs is certainly possible in a single inning. Shades of Boston keeping a defensive liability at first with the game almost won against the Mets flashed in my mind.

Alo in left didn't look comfortable and luckily her two chances were relatively simple.
The starting LF returned to her position in the 9th inning with 2 outs so that Alo could exit the field for a well deserved standing ovation. The 3 runs were scored with her on the bench.

NCAA Softball allows starters to re-enter a game, but only 1 time, even the starting pitcher.

As far as a victory lap, how many times have coaches removed a player, or players, with time on the clock, and with the lead, just so the players can get a final ovation??? It's a common practice and is not disrespectful in the least.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
The starting LF returned to her position in the 9th inning with 2 outs so that Alo could exit the field for a well deserved standing ovation. The 3 runs were scored with her on the bench.

NCAA Softball allows starters to re-enter a game, but only 1 time, even the starting pitcher.

As far as a victory lap, how many times have coaches removed a player, or players, with time on the clock, and with the lead, just so the players can get a final ovation??? It's a common practice and is not disrespectful in the least.
Oops, I meant 7th inning

UHF

Reaction Score

Late to the OU Softball thread. Been indisposed for a while. Just an FYI on statistics.

Jocelyn Alo played in 24 games during the shortened Covid season. If one ignores those 24 games, Alo still would have had more Hits, RBI, HR, and Doubles than OU softball great Lauren Chamberlain. Alo would still own the NCAA HR record without those 24 games.

AloGABRHAVGRBIHR2BSLGBB
Chamberlain
20126419668700.3577830100.88%31
20136116887770.4588430161.11%63
2014399545340.358271250.81%51
20155614872590.3996523110.99%62

Reaction Score
That is quite true. Those 24 extra games will make it very difficult for anyone to exceed her totals though.

UHF

Reaction Score
That is quite true. Those 24 extra games will make it very difficult for anyone to exceed her totals though.

Tiare Jennings had 92 RBI as a Freshman and 87 RBI as a sophomore. If she can stay healthy and if OU finds a good player to hit behind her in the lineup, then Jennings might have a chance to beat Jocelyn Alo's 323 career RBI.

I know, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom