So, This Is What 60 Minutes of Meaningful Football Looks Like | The Boneyard

So, This Is What 60 Minutes of Meaningful Football Looks Like

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn players actually got to play a game where every snap counted and mattered.

Granted Houston is having an atrocious season and has many key injuries.

Takeaways from the game:

Zergiotis has to be more accurate. He has the arm and made some nice throws but he has to get better.

I'm perfectly okay with UConn offensive play calling. Players are getting open. A couple of really bad penalties took points off the board and some real bad throws did as well.

Defense looked its best this season. Line got pressure and wrapped up QB.

Play calling between 40 and 25 needs improvement. When the field shrinks UConn lacks a playmaker. Best play was pass to Rose which was overthrown.

Ross is really good.

Zergiotis does real well throwing across field to the left sideline. That's not an easy throw but it's his best throw.

Reaction Score
My takeaways of the game:
Offensive line has to pass block better: The aforementioned hurried pass to Jay Rose was the result of a badly missed blocking assignment.
HCHR & Co. are too predictable-How many times, after an incomplete pass on first down, is the play call on 2nd down a rush off center for a gain or 2 yards or less?
There seems to be a flow problem with a basic handoff to the running back that needs fixing.

Reaction Score
QB play was the difference in the game, he needs to be more accurate, particularly on the long throws. He missed a couple of wide open receivers on what would have been long completions or even touchdowns. Even some of his completions were poorly thrown (the completion to Ross on the crossing route was behind him, etc)

Reaction Score
This is why putting back on the bench made little sense. He is probably the future. Let this be his learning season so he hits the ground running next season. He is making the mistakes young talented QBs make because he is young. I think he is the one.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There seems to be a flow problem with a basic handoff to the running back that needs fixing.

Seriously. It seems like if the OL has already completed their blocking assignments by the time the back gets the ball. There are no holes by time the back gets there.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is why putting back on the bench made little sense. He is probably the future. Let this be his learning season so he hits the ground running next season. He is making the mistakes young talented QBs make because he is young. I think he is the one.

Agreed. I posted elsewhere that if Jack Zergiotis had those two games Beaudry started under his belt, UConn might've won this one.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I posted elsewhere that if Jack Zergiotis had those two games Beaudry started under his belt, UConn might've won this one.
Might be true, but he really had a melt down. Sometime it takes a little time to recover and gain perspective.
If Steven Krajewski hadn’t been injured, he would have had a very big day today. Pretty sure Jack Zergiotis and MB would not be getting any time if Steven Krajewski was ok. Anyway We have 2 QBs to be optimistic about.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don’t think they should blow this thing up. I know it’s getting old but the team is young at lots of positions. Imagine year four of Jack Zergiotis and the freshman receiving corps could very good. Thoughts?

Skill players seem to be improving. I have confidence in DLine being good. LB's worry me as do DB's. OLine is always a question mark.

Reaction Score
Jack has the potential to be the kind of QB we wish Cody Endres had been if he could have gotten more games under his belt. When he works a little more on timing and distance for some longer throws he's going to be nasty with his footwork and quick release. That's a nice catchable ball he just needs to practice location on the longer balls. He wants to throw to Usain Bolt and I haven't seen him at practice lately.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Looks like they had tackling practice this week. Night and day from last week.

Maybe this week RE and Spanos will teach them how to defend a draw play.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Best game of the season even with the loss.
The deep ball will get better, but I counted four times when a pass with more air under it would have been a touchdown.
The tackling and speed overall was better today. The linebackers played well considering that not one is over 210 lbs.
The Corner blitzed was used too much and they got burnt for the long touchdown pass because of it. That can be fixed and used only a couple of times during a game.
UConn needs to limit penalties, which killed three drives today.
The flagrant foul was a BS call on Jones. I watched the replay and he as pushed into the quarterback and was not lowering his head to make the hit. I know Edsall was ripping the officials after the call and I was surprised he didn't get a penalty.

A very winnable game that UConn loss.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cannot believe Palatine hasn't chimed in and pissed all over this thread

Reaction Score
Agree about the 4 overthrows. We left points on the field in a big way. Then you have Mensah being caught from behind on the long run and we don't score. Having to drive the ball for every score is really hurting us. We need to start hitting the big plays other teams have been beating us with. The receivers seem to be capable of making those plays if the QB can hit them.
I thought the wildcat play to Thompkins was the worst play call of the day. Put the QB under center and run a play action pass or hand it off but once Jack Zergiotis was not taking the snap the pass was off the table and made it easy for their D. The incomplete pass in the flat in that series- why not put Thompkins in as he is a better receiver?
The run game is brutally slow as others have noted. By the time our QB hands it off 5 yards deep the blocking has lost it's push half the time and with the QB not really ever running it is no wonder we struggle
There were a few chances for the QB to run today that he did not take advantage of until the last drive.
Medlock at TE is a big target and he can move. Using him split out in the slot with our other quick wideouts can put some pressure on the D. He should get more than a couple targets a game.

Reaction Score
My take from today’s game they really coached the boys up on tackling not many arm tackles or missed tackles at all they actually looked like a division one defense today. Jack Zergiotis is good with his slants and cross routes. He needs to fix that side arm throw that he has going. Wish Steven Krajewski was healthy to see the numbers he’d put up against this secondary. I feel he would of had a great day against them. With all that I’m looking forward to next week and see how they develop. I’m also happy with the two QBs we have once Steven Krajewski gets healthy curious to see what Edsall a going to do if he comes back possibly last 2 or 3 games maybe since we have that bye week. It is looking up for them I’m not losing my faith just yet

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The good thing about the defense was that it performed without Morgan, Herring-Wilson, Gilmartin for the whole game, then dealt with losing Coyle, Harrell, and eventually Jones.

Question is did defense improve in spite of those absences or because of the absences?
May be a Wally Pip or two out of that group of injured players.

Reaction Score
Seriously. It seems like if the OL has already completed their blocking assignments by the time the back gets the ball. There are no holes by time the back gets there.
The dreaded zone blocking. Would like to see more straight ahead push.

Reaction Score
Gilmartin and Morgan are out indefinitely. This was Omar Fortt’s best game with 11 tackles and a sack.
Agreed, pretty interesting how he is performing like this, while playing in rotation in all 3 LB positions and leading the team in Tkls. On season 52 Tkls, 2.5 TFL/14Yds, 1.5 Sacks/11Yds. 1FR, 2PBU
Would love to see how he performs if he played a full game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom