So thankful to be back in the Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So thankful to be back in the Big East

Reaction Score
This would never happen, and would make no sense because of travel & money, but let’s just play the what if game...

It’s 2013 and the Big East loses all the football teams but adjusts by adding the following teams: Gonzaga, BYU, Saint Mary’s, Wichita State and keeping UConn & Norte Dame. Plus all the other schools they actually added (Xavier, Butler, Creighton).

This keeps the league at 16 teams and plays an east / west division schedule. Round robin vs the 7 teams in your division and 6 games (3 H, 3 A) against the other division. One big massive conference tournament in MSG.

Would have been interesting and I think there was a point when the Big East was considering adding TCU and San Diego State...
It was beyond considering... TCU, Boise State, and San Diego State accepted invites to the Big East (and later reversed when the last exodus wave hit).

Reaction Score

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
This right here is an east coaster geography lesson!

You realize you just said that 1500 miles is roughly the same as 750 miles, right? Or that a 3.5/4 hour direct flight is the same as a 2 hour direct flight. My god man, buy a globe! ;-)
ur wasting ur time. as i get older, i am more and more astounded by the seeming lack of both knowledge and understanding by '(north)east coasters' for the actual length and breadth of our nation. scary bad. loosely speaking, a good way to think about it from the ground, is around 1/3 of a coast to coast drive gets you to the big river, and then another 2/3s till you hit the pacific. that 2/3s part is first a loooooong flat ride, then another looooong run up to the crest of the mountains, then another loooong run down the western slope to the sea. yuge distances by global standards. physical unfamiliarity leads to cultural unfamiliarity. to their credit, western and southern folks don't pretend to know aboot eastern ways and life (mostly cuz they don't care), while many easterners, who maybe go once or twice to kali/seattle/vegas, will give phd dissertations on how life is every square inch from, say western pa to sacramento, or butte down to galveston. and while they're demonstrating their superior understanding for our nation, they'll tell you that it's all fly over country, because they say so. disgusting. uninformed. clueless, insulting. good thing the folks don't/didn't listen, cuz their too busy roaring past our parochial thinking by creating epic examples for success like, Texas, Florida, etc.
kali is almost 900 miles from top to bottom. it's 8000 miles from bangor, maine, usa to dededo, guam, usa. let's add diamond head polytechnic and nome college of fish to our conference. they'll just be a short drive for family, friends, and fans who like to go to away games, but can't afford to fly. but hey, it's only aboot half again longer to go from spokane to storrs than it is to go from london to istanbul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was beyond considering... TCU, Boise State, and San Diego State accepted invites to the Big East (and later reversed when the last exodus wave hit).
IIRC, that was essentially the “Hail Mary” to save Big East Football, but that obviously did not work out.

Reaction Score
ur wasting ur time. as i get older, i am more and more astounded by the seeming lack of both knowledge and understanding by '(north)east coasters' for the actual length and breadth of our nation. scary bad. loosely speaking, a good way to think about it from the ground, is around 1/3 of a coast to coast drive gets you to the big river, and then another 2/3s till you hit the pacific. that 2/3s part is first a loooooong flat ride, then another looooong run up to the crest of the mountains, then another loooong run down the western slope to the sea. yuge distances by global standards. physical unfamiliarity leads to cultural unfamiliarity. to their credit, western and southern folks don't pretend to know aboot eastern ways and life (mostly cuz they don't care), while many easterners, who maybe go once or twice to kali/seattle/vegas, will give phd dissertations on how life is every square inch from, say western pa to sacramento, or butte down to galveston. and while they're demonstrating their superior understanding for our nation, they'll tell you that it's all fly over country, because they say so. disgusting. uninformed. clueless, insulting. good thing the folks don't/didn't listen, cuz their too busy roaring past our parochial thinking by creating epic examples for success like, Texas, Florida, etc.
kali is almost 900 miles from top to bottom. it's 8000 miles from bangor, maine, usa to dededo, guam, usa. let's add diamond head polytechnic and nome college of fish to our conference. they'll just be a short drive for family, friends, and fans who like to go to away games, but can't afford to fly. but hey, it's only aboot half again longer to go from spokane to storrs than it is to go from london to istanbul.

I laughed out loud at this, as a lot of this is all very true. Although for us to say so is also generalizing, so we're guilty too I guess!

Now all that being said, if we really did end up seeing a Big East mega conference again with 16 teams and had to give up the round robin for two divisions, I think it should still stay in the footprint of the Northeast and Great lakes megaregions. Both megalopolis' are around 55 million people, combined covers almost 1/3 the country's population. The divisions would hopefully be divided to cover those regions as well. It gives a lot of opportunity for cross branding/promoting the universities while keeping the geographic regions pretty tight. Anything outside of those areas I believe would begin to degrade the benefits of the larger conference.

1614698397852.png

Reaction Score
Now all that being said, if we really did end up seeing a Big East mega conference again with 16 teams and had to give up the round robin for two divisions, I think it should still stay in the footprint of the Northeast and Great lakes megaregions.
1614742442872.png

14 games within the division (double RR) + 8 games across divisions (single RR) = 22 conference games

Kansas, UConn, and Nova... 3 blue bloods in the same conference.

Reaction Score
Mix East and West in the Big East Tournament. Competing in the Division for seeding would be important.
1614743610751.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
View attachment 65182
14 games within the division (double RR) + 8 games across divisions (single RR) = 22 conference games

IS Nova a Blue Blood? Best in league, sure, but Blue Blood?

Reaction Score
IS Nova a Blue Blood? Best in league, sure, but Blue Blood?
It's always a discussion, but UConn with 4 NCAA titles is in my book. Kansas and Nova with 3 each make the cut.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's always a discussion, but UConn with 4 NCAA titles is in my book. Kansas and Nova with 3 each make the cut.
It really all comes down to how you define it. So how do you define it?

Reaction Score
It really all comes down to how you define it. So how do you define it?
I think there is some overall achievement required and some recency bias (what have you done for me lately?).
1614774481360.png

There are 6 Blue Bloods in the Modern Era. Only UNC, Duke, UConn, Ville, Kentucky, & Nova have won 3 or more titles in this era.
1614775015984.png

Indiana, Kansas, and UCLA are historical blue bloods but have paled in the modern era with less than 3 titles. Florida and Michigan State are also Pale Blue.

There are 4 other programs with 2 titles, but not considered Blue: NC State, Cincy, OK State, and San Francisco.

The “Honorable Mention” list is at least 1 title and 4 final fours: Michigan, Arkansas, Cuse, Georgetown, Arizona, UNLV, Ohio State, and Wisconsin.

It’s all up for debate, of course.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think there is some overall achievement required and some recency bias (what have you done for me lately?).
View attachment 65190
There are 6 Blue Bloods in the Modern Era. Only UNC, Duke, UConn, Ville, Kentucky, & Nova have won 3 or more titles in this era.
View attachment 65192

Indiana, Kansas, and UCLA are historical blue bloods but have paled in the modern era with less than 3 titles. Florida and Michigan State are also Pale Blue.

There are 4 other programs with 2 titles, but not considered Blue: NC State, Cincy, OK State, and San Francisco.

The “Honorable Mention” list is at least 1 title and 4 final fours: Michigan, Arkansas, Cuse, Georgetown, Arizona, UNLV, Ohio State, and Wisconsin.

It’s all up for debate, of course.
Got it. For a lot of people I think the term blue bloods is driven by the opposite of recency bias. They value old championships more than new championships. The term is so subjective, that I’ve stopped caring about it one way or the other at least as it pertains to its application to UConn. Interesting topic though. Thanks for the detailed reply.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
View attachment 65182

I like this idea. However, I think keeping conference play at 20 would better as it allows for a few more non-conference opportunities and on par with other conferences. That being said, you could play each team in your division twice, then 6 crossover games. Like in football, have some "rivalry" games locked in each year and then rotate through the other teams.

Reaction Score
Got it. For a lot of people I think the term blue bloods is driven by the opposite of recency bias. They value old championships more than new championships. The term is so subjective, that I’ve stopped caring about it one way or the other at least as it pertains to its application to UConn. Interesting topic though. Thanks for the detailed reply.
I agree with you, some would by definition leave out “new money”.

It is interesting, though, that often those people will leave out UConn but not Duke. Even though UConn’s first title is with JC and Duke’s is with K, both in the 90s, somehow Duke is definitely a Blue Blood (and UConn’s not). Sure, Duke had earlier final fours (as did Nova).

Also, Mich State and Arizona will often be called Blue Bloods.

It’s certainly subjective. Considering the actual Championships and Final Fours is a little more authentic than just the feels of tradition.

Reaction Score
View attachment 65182

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is this assuming the Big 12 breaks up? I do often wonder what will happen to those programs if Texas and Oklahoma leave. Because of football it might be more likely that they merge with the best of the AAC to rebuild the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Honestly I feel a little bad for Cincy as well.
They don’t care. Their football program is in a really nice place with even more talent coming in. They will be a consistent top 20 for a while. I’m sure their sights are set on getting to a Big12 membership and they know Basketball doesn’t drive the bus. So don’t cry too much for them.

Reaction Score
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is this assuming the Big 12 breaks up? I do often wonder what will happen to those programs if Texas and Oklahoma leave. Because of football it might be more likely that they merge with the best of the AAC to rebuild the Big 12.
Yes...

"Although this is improbable...

If the B12 transformed with UT and OK going PAC, I like the scenario of Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State coming to the Big East. Then you add Cincy and Temple (over Memphis IMO).

The result is a 16 Team conference with 2 geographic divisions.

Adding Kansas would be worth the format change. Adding just Cincy (and Memphis or Temple), not, IMO."

Reaction Score
Kansas would be the prize, of course, for the basketball-first Big East. Creighton is already in the same region. Kansas State and Iowa State could come along to secure that region with close partners and rivals.

UT and OK anchor the Big12. The Big East should be talking to Kansas now about contingency options should UT and OK initiate conference change, and they should include Fox in the discussions. For Kansas to consider they would need a good Basketball pay-out from a renewed Big East basketball contract, plus a football TV contract as an Indy or in a TV scheduling Alliance with KS State, Iowa State, UConn, Temple, Cincy, etc. Or, even a bigger stretch, Nova and Butler (or Georgetown) move up from 1AA and the Big East sponsors football with 8 full members.

Although sponsoring football is even more improbable, a way to address it is to have 2 separate TV contracts. Keep an arms length between those finances. Basketball would renew it's own TV contract with all of the members and look to have $5M+ per team per year. Football, on its own merits, does it's own TV contract and finds its own value just for football. Avoid the argument that football holds all of the value and basketball is worthless, and have 2 separate contracts.

Reaction Score
uconn @ msg tho. the young big east fans are gonna learn quick

i went back in 91? there was a mardi gras street band playing up 7th ave. it was electric, and we didn’t win anything yet

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m thankful for fox buying that old NBA on NBC theme and it gets played when UConn is on tv.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom