So, let's face it: | The Boneyard

So, let's face it:

Reaction Score
unless a vacine is widely distributed, the prospect of sports especially basketball is going to be very limited. Just as my hopes of seeing the UConn Huskies Women play with all of their fantastic talent, boom, a covid report is listed. Too bad. Lots of great sports entertainment will be lost for us in watching what could be one of the most talented basketball teams to hit the floor. Sorry for Geno and staff who probably looked forward to leading this team to victory. Sorry for all of the great fans who wanted to share this team. Sorry for me, as I turn 78, and ain't got too many seasons if any left to watch.

Reaction Score
unless a vacine is widely distributed, the prospect of sports especially basketball is going to be very limited. Just as my hopes of seeing the UConn Huskies Women play with all of their fantastic talent, boom, a covid report is listed. Too bad. Lots of great sports entertainment will be lost for us in watching what could be one of the most talented basketball teams to hit the floor. Sorry for Geno and staff who probably looked forward to leading this team to victory. Sorry for all of the great fans who wanted to share this team. Sorry for me, as I turn 78, and ain't got too many seasons if any left to watch.

Come on. At 78 you have at least 3 more national championships ahead of you. :)

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Chin up Sir. You are not alone in this. Outside of family, friends, our clients, watching Uconn women's basketball has been something I look forward to every year.

Hopefully the kids will get to play this year, even if this season carries an asterisk or quotes, and we will watch.

Reaction Score

Oorah Marine!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The men just had a 14 day pause and are playing this week. Let's get through this before we give up on the season.

Reaction Score
When you come down it.....none of us know how many seasons we have left. Let’s just take it one terrific UConn WBB season at a time, cheer on our champions and always hope for the best!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

I'm older than you (81) and despite my disappointment in the postponement, have every expectation of numerous (?) years of further enjoyment...

We're currently planning next season's multi-month Ikon-pass ski swing through the West...Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, Salt Lake, Tahoe, and Colorado, with pre-Christmas warm-up in Northern Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

If you have your health, there is no reason to throw in the towel any time in your seventh decade, biblical prophesies on the subject notwithstanding.

Reaction Score
It is terrible news, all us older BY's have been so amped up for this season. I for one, kind of gave up on NFL and am hanging on to my beloved Mets. I have slowly become more of a Lady Husky fan to the point now where Mr. G's team is my favorite. Being at home so much, the lady's games were going to be a respite to me....from Netflix and politics.
Let's hope that there is light in the tunnel and us oldies will enjoy the delightful young ladies of UConn. Right now, lets hope that the bubble or protective isolation will enable the team to play a good number of games. It is continually amazing what life brings us. Let's stay healthy with our chins up and root. The percentage of the population that do not follow the simplest of rules is outrageous. Listen to the professionals and live to see another game. Hold on to your SNY subscriptions. Go Lady Huskies!

Reaction Score
Hey Yarders, they just told us that we will have to wait a little longer, not that the season was canceled. Please try to look at the glass as half full. The season will start and we are going to see some great basketball, just not as quickly as we would like. My sympathies are with the young ladies who have been working so hard and looking to the opening game with even more excitement than we are. I just hope that they are not too deflated.

Reaction Score
VOD, think of it this way - now you don't have to rush putting up those Christmas decorations. I vaguely recall when I was 78; I think it was a very good year.

Reaction Score
First, let's hope for everyone's health and safety--the Husky Program and fans as well. Then, when the team gets the all-clear, let's cheer on the team and enjoy the heck out of every minute of the great basketball we'll have the good fortune to watch!!

Reaction Score

My dad just celebrated his 98th b-day and we were planning on watching the games together this weekend, will just have to settle for sharing a meal together on Thanksgiving along with may wife and our dog. Six or so years ago I got him hooked on UCONN WCBB (I don't think he's missed watching a game in the last couple years). He even started following the WNBA this summer, primarily rooting for the UCONN grads that he has come to know so well over the years. My hope is that you and he, along with the rest of us get to enjoy the miraculous play of our women as they bring home number twelve, thirteen, fourteen....

Reaction Score
I'm older than you (81) and despite my disappointment in the postponement, have every expectation of numerous (?) years of further enjoyment...

We're currently planning next season's multi-month Ikon-pass ski swing through the West...Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, Salt Lake, Tahoe, and Colorado, with pre-Christmas warm-up in Northern Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

If you have your health, there is no reason to throw in the towel any time in your seventh decade, biblical prophesies on the subject notwithstanding.
Being on the Moses's plan, I still have 60 more seasons at 60 years old....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Cheer up yarders, plenty of WCBB on TV this afternoon (starting at noon), and through the weekend. Lots of top 25 programs are playing. South Carolina and Duke are among the teams in action today (they are not playing each other).

I get the SEC, ACC and SNY network on DirecTV. Some of these games are on their conference network. ESPN is showing lots of men’s games.

I’m guessing that even though the game Saturday is canceled, SNY will still show the Huskies all access program as scheduled. I hope so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cheer up yarders, plenty of WCBB on TV this afternoon (starting at noon), and through the weekend. Lots of top 25 programs are playing. South Carolina and Duke are among the teams in action today (they are not playing each other).

I get the SEC, ACC and SNY network on DirecTV. Some of these games are on their conference network. ESPN is showing lots of men’s games.

I’m guessing that even though the game Saturday is canceled, SNY will still show the Huskies all access program as scheduled. I hope so.

And don’t forget, UConn men play tonight. Go Huskies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You have me by 3 years. You’re right on. It’s why I don’t get too excited about recruits coming in the door next year or the year after. Carpe diem.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You have me by 3 years. You’re right on. It’s why I don’t get too excited about recruits coming in the door next year or the year after. Carpe diem.

I’m not as old as you two “codgers”, but I’m around the corner. At our age, you learn not to make any long range plans. You live and embrace today and plan for tomorrow, but not too far beyond that. We enjoy the moment, and take our basketball one season at a time.

Next year, we’ll do the “who should be the starting 5“ again next year. Does Azzi start day one, or come off the bench? There will be lots of folks on both sides of that debate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow this has turned into an old farts convention seeking comfort in our later years, from the devastating Uconn news. OK I will play, and try to lighten things up during this difficult period. I am 69 and retired in "The Villages".
This is probably the largest age restricted retirement community in the world, so I see old people all the time!

Our best approach to aging is staying active and trying very hard not to act our age. We sometimes refer to ourselves as frogs, because we come here to croak! Or refer to this as God's waiting room. We generally don't buy any green bananas if you know what I mean.

We try to continue participating in sports, for me table tennis and pickleball (see I am good enough to call it table tennis instead of ping pong!). But we don't move like we used to. We can only jump rope if it's a thin one, and you don't need a stopwatch to time us in the 50 yard dash ( a sundial will do!).

Some think we all use the same cologne, but that's not the case, it's BenGay or Icy Hot! And it's true we have many "happy hours" here, but our favorite drink is Metamucil. Some are active with clubs or activities that are not physical. Their workouts consist of pumping their egos, jogging their memory, and exercising their options.

So to all the old-timers on the Boneyard, I salute you for continuing not to act your age, stay active, and look for a laugh or two to get us through these difficult times. I know we consider a few weeks to be "long range planning", but if we squint thru our cataracts and trifocals, I think we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom