OT: - So cool for women sports | The Boneyard

OT: So cool for women sports

Reaction Score
I wonder what the match looked like from the Bob Uecker seats? :rolleyes:

AcbrapG6i.gif

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There was a great story on All Things Considered on my way home from work. A couple of nuggets from it:

Tickets went on sale in the spring. They sold 81,000 in the first three days.

Nebraska has sold out 300 straight matches. The journalist made sure to add, "in an arena that only holds 8000". Many decent DI basketball teams don't sell out consistently in arenas smaller than that. Nebraska has been a top-ten team most years for many years. They've created a great atmosphere that the community wants to support.

In the late-80's or early 90's, the UVa WBB team set out to set a record for attendance at a women's basketball game. They did that in a game against Maryland. They drew something like 13,000 fans. This was in an arena that held around 9000, and the fire marshal wasn't pleased. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
There was a great story on All Things Considered on my way home from work. A couple of nuggets from it:

Tickets went on sale in the spring. They sold 81,000 in the first three days.

Nebraska has sold out 300 straight matches. The journalist made sure to add, "in an arena that only holds 8000". Many decent DI basketball teams don't sell out consistently in arenas smaller than that. Nebraska has been a top-ten team most years for many years. They've created a great atmosphere that the community wants to support.

In the late-80's or early 90's, the UVa WBB team set out to set a record for attendance at a women's basketball game. They did that in a game against Maryland. They drew something like 13,000 fans. This was in an arena that held around 9000, and the fire marshal wasn't pleased. :rolleyes:
I don't know what the record is in Women's BB for attendence, but didn't 19,ooo fans attend the game beteen Uconn and S.Carolina in Columbia SC when Uconn played for it's 100th win and won it going away. SC's arena holds 18,000 max and SC sold a little over 19,000. I lived 51 miles away and tried for tickets. The cheapest ticket I was priced at $700 and they were nose bleed seats. I watched it on TV. Great game and Uconn controlled Aja Wilson. I will never forget that game. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Ms Clark and company are planning a similar event at Kinnick Stadium on the U of Iowa Campus in an exhibition against DePaul on October 15, 2023. So far 40,000 tickets have been sold. Stadium holds 69,000.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't know what the record is in Women's BB for attendence, but didn't 19,ooo fans attend the game beteen Uconn and S.Carolina in Columbia SC when Uconn played for it's 100th win and won it going away. SC's arena holds 18,000 max and SC sold a little over 19,000. I lived 51 miles away and tried for tickets. The cheapest ticket I was priced at $700 and they were nose bleed seats. I watched it on TV. Great game and Uconn controlled Aja Wilson. I will never forget that game. GO HUSKIES!!!!
The attendance record for WBB is 29,619 set twice in the 2002 FF at the Alamodome in San Antonio. The first time was for the national semifinals between Oklahoma & Duke and UConn & TN. A few days later, the record was set a 2nd time for the championship game between UConn & OK.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The attendance record for WBB is 29,619 set twice in the 2002 FF at the Alamodome in San Antonio. The first time was for the national semifinals between Oklahoma & Duke and UConn & TN. A few days later, the record was set a 2nd time for the championship game between UConn & OK.

My sister and I were 2 of those. :)

Reaction Score

Unfortunately, I will never forget it either.

Reaction Score
This is fantastic!

Both my daughters played HS Volleyball, so we started watching B1G VB with them about 10 years ago. The level of play is off the chart.

The girls are out of the house now but my wife and I still tune in. It's fast and fluid and really exciting to watch. Right now 3 of the top 5 teams are in the B1G and by tournament time the Top 25 will be full of B1G teams despite them beating on each other all year.

Reaction Score
Great news for me, So Uconn is tied for the largest attendance record in Women's college BB. Another Uconn record. I bleed blue, The reason I love Uconn Women's BB so much is because they are untouchable in being the best you can be. Irregardless of any other viewpoint in this statement, any team that can surpass Uconns record of achievements would be No.1 in my estimation, BUT, that is an impossible task that will never be achieved. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Great news for me, So Uconn is tied for the largest attendance record in Women's college BB. Another Uconn record. I bleed blue, The reason I love Uconn Women's BB so much is because they are untouchable in being the best you can be. Irregardless of any other viewpoint in this statement, any team that can surpass Uconns record of achievements would be No.1 in my estimation, BUT, that is an impossible task that will never be achieved. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!
Okay, I'll grumble about the "never be achieved" part. but have to admit that it is extremely unlikely. As to the entirety of your post, umh, well, err, unh . . . I can't argue with any degree of logic.

Reaction Score
Thank you visitingcock for making my day with this statement. I know you are very knowledgeable about Women's BB and your post is very appreciated. I don't have half the knowledge most of the posters have. I post what's in my heart and what I think with the word "possible" in my " it's possible". Uconn has given me many,many happy hours of watching them play the game that is the hallmark of what Women's BB is all about. I have only watched 2 games Uconn lost in the last 10 years and will never watch another. Thank God that is so seldom. Keep up the good posting that you do, because I have not read any negatives that you wrote about Uconn. South Carolina will have another good season this year and I wish them luck until they play Uconn. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
@Next 12, I may be wrong here, but I believe that game was played in Storrs, CT, and not Columbia, SC. UConn 66; SC 55.

Reaction Score
@Next 12, I may be wrong here, but I believe that game was played in Storrs, CT, and not Columbia, SC. UConn 66; SC 55.
Meh, okay maybe it was the year before - or the year after - that particular game, but y'all kicked our butts in front of a sellout 18k gamecock home crowd one of those years. :oops:

We've played y'all in Storrs or neutral site for the past three years. It will be good to be back home this reloading year.

Reaction Score
My apologies, you are correct, it was Storr's. visitingcock knew the game I was talking about. Either game,Uconn played it's best when needed. Both games were classics. I have watched the game in Storrs many times. The part I liked best was Dawn Staley saying (not actual numbers,But you get the idea) "we were no.36 and we were no 68, but we will not be 100. Uconn will be 99-1". How wrong she was. Dawn is a great coach, but that night belonged to the Uconn Huskies! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Meh, okay maybe it was the year before - or the year after - that particular game, but y'all kicked our butts in front of a sellout 18k gamecock home crowd one of those years. :oops:

We've played y'all in Storrs or neutral site for the past three years. It will be good to be back home this reloading year.
@visitingcock, I love the rivalry between UConn and SCar, and always root for my team to win. However, lately you guys have whipped our butts, and I hate it, but that’s what happens when the better team shows up. I know how excited and giddy our fan base gets when UConn wins, and I know your fan base feels the same, so no jealousy on my part.
Now, starting with the next game at your place, I want UConn to take back the reign from you guys, even though your team is fully loaded with talent. Enough is enough I believe both teams are balanced, and as long as the injury bug stays away, that should be a great game.
All the best for a great season to your team, as well as to mine! Stay well!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom