So about all the coaching options we had when Pasqualoni was eventually hired.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So about all the coaching options we had when Pasqualoni was eventually hired....

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
He's a pass game analyst for the Eagles . . . . .. . how is he not our OC right now? Too big time for Randy's ego?
See coaching pool $$. You have an OC\OL coach and I am pretty sure a DC\LB coach. When your coordinators are also position coach's, that is a problem.

Reaction Score
See coaching pool $$. You have an OC\OL coach and I am pretty sure a DC\LB coach. When your coordinators are also position coach's, that is a problem.
You are not correct. Schools are limited to 10 on-field assistant coaches and UConn has 10. At most schools, the coordinators also coach a position group.

Let's look at the 4 schools in this year's playoff and look at the coaching responsibilities of their coordinators:

Alabama: DC/Inside Linebackers, OC/Quarterbacks

Clemson: DC/Linebackers, OC/Running Backs

Notre Dame: DC/Linebackers, OC/Quarterbacks

Ohio State: DC/Secondary, OC/Tight Ends

Reaction Score
Alabama has 20 or so coaches. They just give some of them different titles. Spanos came from there.
What the top schools are doing now is hiring ”analysts” which are off the field roles and I think you can have as many as you can afford. Saban has taken the use of analysts to another level bringing in coaches who need to rehabilitate their careers with some coming abroad for low or no pay.

Reaction Score
None of this would be an issue if Randy Edsall didn't sneak away in the middle of the night and stab UConn in the back. If he had stayed he could have built on the Fiesta Bowl season and UConn would have been more than competitive and would likely have been in the ACC now. We can all blame Pasqualoni or Diaco, but the fault lies with Randy. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Whipple and P were the finalists

The field included
Tom Bradley DC from Penn State.
Former Louisville head coach Steve Kragthorpe
Former Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski
Arkansas OC/QB coach Garrick McGee

No one ever made a big deal of this (which they should have) but Pasquaoni was the Defensive Coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys (interim) when he took the UConn job.

Reaction Score
In hindsight we should have just hired Don Brown. Wouldn't have been a sexy hire, but he had success as a head coach and clearly knew what he was doing defensively.

Reaction Score

The field included

No one ever made a big deal of this (which they should have) but Pasquaoni was the Defensive Coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys (interim) when he took the UConn job.
At least we didn't take Kragthorpe. He would have been even more damaging than PP

Reaction Score
At least we didn't take Kragthorpe. He would have been even more damaging than PP

How was he even considered? He had just been diagnosed with Parkinson's and has been out of coaching for a while now.

Reaction Score
There was no mutual interest IIRC... kind of an agent reach out.
Nothing against the guy but he absolutely killed Louisville's momentum after Petrino left for Arkansas. It was almost as bad as Greg Robinson after PP at Syracuse lol

Reaction Score

The field included

that was a big issue with us.... we ALWAYS came to the party too doggone late.. Pasquaphony was past his prime and he was "interm" DC for my Cowboys, who were awful (IIRC) .. we still are (get well soon Dak... we need you bro)....

Just sayin, PP was a sexy name for us when he came on because of his home ties alone... nothing more... Horrible job by the AD at the time.. horrible.. I honestly thought a guy like Bradley or McGee would work, but, in hindsight, and some might think I'm nuts for saying this... Joe Moorehead might've been the best option for us at that point.. seriously... He was a good fit here... and, quite frankly, honestly speaking, until Edsall 2.0 and company can show a team that is ready to play real games, Moorehead might still be that ideal fit... Only issue now though is affordability... He got that taste of SEC $$$...

Reaction Score
I wonder if anyone suggested Moorhead at that time. I certainly don’t remember that. PP didn’t respect him. RE didn’t take him with him. He’ll make 1 mil next year as a coordinator for a relevant team.

Reaction Score
In hindsight we should have just hired Don Brown. Wouldn't have been a sexy hire, but he had success as a head coach and clearly knew what he was doing defensively.

Don Brown should have been hired instead of Diaco in 2013. Most of the Boneyard foolishly thought he was too old at the time and wanted the "sexy" hire and Warde delivered sexy.

Whipple would have been a solid hire in 2011. He would have figured out a way to score points (probably would have aggressively brought in his own handpicked QB to the team) and I assume we would have still had Brown on defense. Our receivers in 2011 were Nick Williams, Geremy Davis, Kashif Moore and Ryan Griffin, Whipple would have lit up the scoreboard with those guys. Whipple and Brown probably would have had us competing for another Big East title in 2011.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Leach’s stock was much higher than Edsall’s like so much higher.

Pasqualoni was a not even a mediocre hire. Hathaway was terrible at getting money and the bug donor at the time had zero confidence in him. So Hathaway took the path of least resistance which was Pasqualoni and DeLeone.

Reaction Score
I wonder if anyone suggested Moorhead at that time. I certainly don’t remember that. PP didn’t respect him. RE didn’t take him with him. He’ll make 1 mil next year as a coordinator for a relevant team.

Didn’t Moorhead go to head coaching gig?

Reaction Score
Didn’t Moorhead go to head coaching gig?
Yeah, he was HC @ Fordham...and his teams lit it up... he ends up as OC @ Penn State which lead to his hire as HC @ Miss State, where he wasn't actually terrible. The SEC is just a different animal. Now, he landed on his feet as OC @ Oregon... wishful thinking would make him our next hire. He'd be a great fit... Unfortunately, we have that less than desirable wrap here. GREAT facilities with a little less than a clue on the field.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hindsight tells us that but at the time Hughes or Foley would have been considered before and thought of as being disappointing hire. Ambrose had some good seasons.
I believe Morehead interviewed when Diaco got the job. I think. Getting old here.

Reaction Score
and to think. People still defend P.
I'll say Pasqualoni is a great coach, just past his prime for a head coaching position. He wouldn't keep getting NFL gigs if he didn't know how to coach. Honestly his biggest downfall wasn't so much that he was a bad HC, it was his loyalty to DeLeone. Granted that was a huge strike against him, but he still knows football. And he recruited infinitely better than Red Pants.

Reaction Score
I'll say Pasqualoni is a great coach, just past his prime for a head coaching position. He wouldn't keep getting NFL gigs if he didn't know how to coach. Honestly his biggest downfall wasn't so much that he was a bad HC, it was his loyalty to DeLeone. Granted that was a huge strike against him, but he still knows football. And he recruited infinitely better than Red Pants.

All these coaches know football. There is nothing remarkable there.

What he doesn’t know how to do anymore is win more games than he loses.

He sucked at that. He demoted Moorhead who had made the UConn offense look explosive and modern. That’s a fireable offense.

Reaction Score
None of this would be an issue if Randy Edsall didn't sneak away in the middle of the night and stab UConn in the back. If he had stayed he could have built on the Fiesta Bowl season and UConn would have been more than competitive and would likely have been in the ACC now. We can all blame Pasqualoni or Diaco, but the fault lies with Randy. Sorry.

Because you don't have the right to leave your job and take another one for more money, right?

Employees stay in a job for as long as it's in their interest to do so. That doesn't just mean money, but it means all things considered they don't feel like it's in their interest to switch. It's an AD's job to make sure that a coach you want to stay stays. What Edsall "owed" UConn was not being so self interested that he walked off the stage before the program's biggest moment playing in the Fiesta Bowl. He stayed through then. Period.

If we want to beat on Edsall, beat on him for the record since he's been back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom