So…Rose Bowl Dead? | The Boneyard

So…Rose Bowl Dead?

Reaction Score
Usc last played in rose bowl in 2017 and 2009 before that. UCLA……1999. These are name football schools but they have not exactly been lighting it up lately. In fact USC under Pete Carroll was a good run but that was 15 years ago. These teams were fun to watch back when Keith Jackson did the games. He was awesome.

Reaction Score
Can't the Rose Bowl find teams nationwide to play rather than B10 and Pac-12. I am more worried about the colleges like UConn which find themselves struggling with realignment trends,

Reaction Score
USC has been dissatisfied with the PAC for a while now. They were reported to be even looking at going independent a few years ago. So this is hardly a shock. And it is the Big X answer to the SEC. You want a passed its prime Texas and Oklahoma. We’ll see you and raise a past it’s prime USC and never quite was UCLA. It sort of reminds me of George Steinbrenner and the Yankees…if there was a big name out there he’d pay any price to get him in pinstripes. But most of the time, it was the homegrown guys who actually led the championship teams, not the Mr. May types.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can't the Rose Bowl find teams nationwide to play rather than B10 and Pac-12. I am more worried about the colleges like UConn which find themselves struggling with realignment trends,

Of this I am confident.

UConn's bowl opportunities going and how the Rose Bowl reconfigures itself have little to no overlap.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
USC has been dissatisfied with the PAC for a while now. They were reported to be even looking at going independent a few years ago. So this is hardly a shock. And it is the Big X answer to the SEC. You want a passed its prime Texas and Oklahoma. We’ll see you and raise a past it’s prime USC and never quite was UCLA. It sort of reminds me of George Steinbrenner and the Yankees…if there was a big name out there he’d pay any price to get him in pinstripes. But most of the time, it was the homegrown guys who actually led the championship teams, not the Mr. May types.
Texas, Oklahoma, USC and UCLA are past their prime? I disagree.

Oklahoma has very recent Heisman trophy winners and recent top 5-10 success. Texas is having probably their best recruiting week ever and have an insane amount of cash supporting their program. USC and UCLA are on the upswing (especially USC with Riley) and are the most popular schools in the largest state in the country.

These aren't fading stars. They aren't Ed Whitson....lol.

Reaction Score
Rose Bowl is dead. PAC-12 will never be the same ever again. USC and UCLA broke 100+ years of tradition and told rest of the PAC-12 to go F themselves. There are a lot of uncertainties around Stanford and Cal. Cal will try to leverage the UC system to force UCLA to take them to the B1G, but PAC-12 the way we know is over. Free loaders like Oregon State and Washington State will finally face the real music, so there will be plenty of reality checks for many schools.

For survival, I really think PAC-12 should just expand big across the country or merge with B12. There will be plenty of schools among PAC-12 (Oregon, Washington etc.) that will look for the first life boat out of this setup, so it is best to go as big as possible to absorb the eventual departures.

I am not sure if UCONN would like to be part of this new merged league, but it might be a better path than waiting for the eventual ACC blow up.

Reaction Score
Looks like the Big12 was just a little too early with their recent expansion. The Pac12 remnants would have been a more manageable fit with the Big12 from a numbers standpoint.

Reaction Score
Looks like the Big12 was just a little too early with their recent expansion. The Pac12 remnants would have been a more manageable fit with the Big12 from a numbers standpoint.
This is why I think the Pac12 will be the name of the conference that owns the "merged teams"... it allows the Big XII and Pac12 to merge with the top state schools and shake the schools that are less desirable to affiliate with or too far East. They'll take the dollars talked about from the Big XII TV deal out west (maybe grow it slightly) and not have to split into the same number of pieces they would've otherwise.

Reaction Score
This is why I think the Pac12 will be the name of the conference that owns the "merged teams"... it allows the Big XII and Pac12 to merge with the top state schools and shake the schools that are less desirable to affiliate with or too far East. They'll take the dollars talked about from the Big XII TV deal out west (maybe grow it slightly) and not have to split into the same number of pieces they would've otherwise.
Who's going along with this from the Big12?

Reaction Score
Who's going along with this from the Big12?
I think the best possible combination represents (we'll assume Stanford, Wash & Oregon leave once Notre Dame finishes their negotiation, if any of them remain it becomes a no-brainer that the Pac-12 is the conference used to consolidate):
Arizona + ASU + Cal + Colorado + Ore. State + Utah + Wash. State
Then add: Kansas + Texas Tech + Okla. State + Houston + ISU

From this group the teams already in the Pac-12 are the bigger drivers of value; if they drive the value, why would they pay the exit fees?

You've got a 12 team conference that can claim the major metro markets across the west & great plains and at least Houston in Texas). You avoid the complexities (and perception issues) of dealing with BYU who is a redundant market at that point, you no longer travel East and you have a collection of publics with large alumni bases, largely in major markets. You don't have the issue of splitting a smaller pot across 16+ teams, several of whom aren't major movers of value.

BYU; Baylor; TCU; Kansas State, UCF; WVU; Cincy get left behind to rebuild a conference that looks like the AAC* (figure they add back SMU, Memphis, Temple, Tulane & USF); when the ACC finally implodes, Cincy & WVU take the life raft to the rump ACC (which then would look suspiciously like the Big East in 2009)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom