Snowblower Help | The Boneyard

Snowblower Help

Reaction Score
So I bought a Troy-Bilt snowblower at Home Depot this morning. My dads had the same one for 10+ years so I felt comfortable with the brand.

My problem comes with the Choke. When I start the engine with the choke fully open it runs fine. It even runs fine when I close it almost fully. However, when I close the choke, the engine sputters and then turns off. I tried this for about an hour today with no resolution. I let it run pretty long in the different choke stages all with the same result when I close the choke.

The snowblower has gas and oil is fine. Obviously this shouldn’t be happening with a brand new engine so I’mmost likely going to return it. Just wanted to see if anyone has any possible solutions before I do that. Thanks!

Reaction Score
I did not close the choke completely when the engine is warmed up. I let the choke open a bit and it's been working for me. There is an adjustment for the cable but I never bothered . Did your dad's have the same problem?

Reaction Score
I did not close the choke completely when the engine is warmed up. I let the choke open a bit and it's been working for me. There is an adjustment for the cable but I never bothered . Did your dad's have the same problem?

So you operate it with the choke partially open and not completely closed? My dads did not have the same problem. The operator manual says to close the choke completely after starting it.

Reaction Score
The choke restricts the air flow to the carburetor. The choke should be closed with a cold engine to assist in starting and opened up as the engine warms up. I have a problem when it is real wet out and water gets in the ignition and it won't shut off. I close the choke until it starts to sputter a eventually stalls.

Reaction Score
How to Start a Snowblower With a Choke
The choke on a gasoline-powered snowblower engine is designed to help the motor start when it is cold. The choke works by shutting the air intake to produce a richer gas mixture in the engine's combustion chamber. Operating the choke can be counter-intuitive, especially if it's been six months since you last used the equipment.

Step 1
Set the choke on full (which means closed).
Step 2
Start the engine according to the manufacturer's instructions, including three to four pumps on the fuel primer before pulling the ignition cord or pressing the starter.
Step 3
Decrease the amount of choke slowly over several minutes by adjusting the choke lever until the engine warms up.

Step 4
Open the choke all the way once the engine is running smoothly. Do not have any choke once the engine is operating normally; this will cause excessive fuel consumption and may flood the engine, causing it to shut down.

Reaction Score
I think you should return it. May have some carburetor issues. Not a good sign if it's brand new.

I have a 4 year old Troy Built and I don't have to do this. Leaving the choke open can lead to flooding the engine.

Reaction Score
I think you should return it. May have some carburetor issues. Not a good sign if it's brand new.

I have a 4 year old Troy Built and I don't have to do this. Leaving the choke open can lead to flooding the engine.
Yep. Those carburetors have some very delicate plastic at the ends of the linkage. I had similar problem for years. When i finally took it apart there was a little piece of plastic broken. I bought a new carburetor and replaced it. With yours being new, i would return it or make them make it run properly. I wouldn't touch it myself for fear of voiding the warranty.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So I bought a Troy-Bilt snowblower at Home Depot this morning. My dads had the same one for 10+ years so I felt comfortable with the brand.

My problem comes with the Choke. When I start the engine with the choke fully open it runs fine. It even runs fine when I close it almost fully. However, when I close the choke, the engine sputters and then turns off. I tried this for about an hour today with no resolution. I let it run pretty long in the different choke stages all with the same result when I close the choke.

The snowblower has gas and oil is fine. Obviously this shouldn’t be happening with a brand new engine so I’mmost likely going to return it. Just wanted to see if anyone has any possible solutions before I do that. Thanks!

I've had my Troy-built for 16 years, runs like new. When starting put the throttle speed to full and turn the choke to full rich (closed) setting. Once it fires up turn it slowly to a leaner setting. You will hear the engine find the sweet spot. To shut off the engine, turn the choke to full lean (open) and the throttle speed to zero.

The only problem I ever had with mine is getting the primer button right. It used to flood on anything more than 2 pumps, but after it's first and only service after 10 years, it required 5-6 to start at all. Still runs like a champ and throws as well as much bigger units. (Mine is a 5+hp 24" Storm model)

Reaction Score
It actually sounds like you are reversing things rereading your OP. A fully closed choke floods and shuts off the engine as stated above. Go try and run it with the choke fully open once it starts. Once the blower is warm if you have to shut it off to do something with a shovel etc you should not need to use the primer bulb or choke to restart it. Just turn up the throttle and use the pull cord.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was thinking about buying an electric model because it seems like everyone has a million issues with gas blowers and I only have a small driveway and sidewalk.

Terrible idea? Not enough power? Tech not there yet?

Reaction Score
Was thinking about buying an electric model because it seems like everyone has a million issues with gas blowers and I only have a small driveway and sidewalk.

Terrible idea? Not enough power? Tech not there yet?
I’ve never had an electric one but hey aren’t as powerful imo. My view on snowblowers is like others view on TVs Bigger and more powerful is better. Even if your driveway isn’t big if u get a 2 ft snowfall and your little electric one only will do 6 inches what’s the point is having it.

When I lived in NJ I had the best machine Honda made. Lots of time i didn’t need all that power. But it worked fine e on 6 inches. When we got 26 inches. It worked fine. So fine my neighbor borrowed it because his couldn’t handle it

Reaction Score
It actually sounds like you are reversing things rereading your OP. A fully closed choke floods and shuts off the engine as stated above. Go try and run it with the choke fully open once it starts. Once the blower is warm if you have to shut it off to do something with a shovel etc you should not need to use the primer bulb or choke to restart it. Just turn up the throttle and use the pull cord.

Yep this is exactly what I was doing. I’m terrible with engines but this may be a new low for me.

Reaction Score
Yep this is exactly what I was doing. I’m terrible with engines but this may be a new low for me.

Don't worry Dave it is how we learn. The good part is you wanted to be prepared before the storm. Now you are! Having this storm run into Tuesday AM is not a good way to start snow season. :(

Reaction Score
Another tip at the end of the season. Siphon as much gas as u can from the fuel tank. Then start it up and close the fuel line. let it run till it starts sputtering/stops U don’t want gas in the carburetor all summer it can gunk up the jets. By draining excess fuel for the tank first u are able to put in fresh gas next year. If u don’t want to do that. At least add a fuel stabilizer

Reaction Score
I’ve never had an electric one but hey aren’t as powerful imo. My view on snowblowers is like others view on TVs Bigger and more powerful is better. Even if your driveway isn’t big if u get a 2 ft snowfall and your little electric one only will do 6 inches what’s the point is having it.

When I lived in NJ I had the best machine Honda made. Lots of time i didn’t need all that power. But it worked fine e on 6 inches. When we got 26 inches. It worked fine. So fine my neighbor borrowed it because his couldn’t handle it
^^^ this
Bigger and more powerful is always better.

Reaction Score
Have a big Honda.First buy from a reputable dealer who has an experienced service department. Since you havent done that take it back and get your money back I choke to start then pull the cord-no electric. Take the choke off and run it full throttle as you are plowing. Mine.is about 10 years old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom