Small business owners, displaced workers, etc - Support Thread | The Boneyard

Small business owners, displaced workers, etc - Support Thread

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A suggestion was made to start a thread for those offering or asking for advice and information on how best to weather this pandemic.

Feel free to aak questions and contribute as you wish. But PLEASE stay on topic.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, there are a lot of hourly workers in the restaurant, hotel & retail industries that are losing their jobs. At the same time, there is a surge in job openings at grocery stores, package delivery companies and online retailers. Many of these jobs involve restocking store and warehouse shelves. They require minimal training and typically pay as well or better than some of the hourly jobs that have been lost. Amazon alone is looking to hire 100,000 additional workers ASAP.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Walmart just announced that they are looking to hire 150,000 temporary workers.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Every business that has a online/call-in with personal delivery system model is hiring at this time - it might be a temp position but could be a good fill-in until the madness ends

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Here's the thing about supermarket delivery gigs right now - don't expect a lot of tipping and expect to get yelled at because people are jerks. More often than not, customers are still ordering Tyler Phommachanh, sanitizer, specific cuts of meat, particular types of bread, etc. and are all pissed off when they learn those things are still unavailable. A "good" outcome is they get 2/3 of their order. Often it's maybe 1/3 to 1/2 depending on how much of their order is stuff everyone's hoarding.

The plus side is if you're a shopper (and not delivery or checkout), there's virtually no customer interaction, you know what's stocked and what isn't, giving you the advantage of getting some needed supplies for yourself.

Reaction Score
Drivers as well, anyone who has a cargo van can get a contract job with amazon delivering goods which is crucial to the entire system.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Drivers as well, anyone who has a cargo van can get a contract job with amazon delivering goods which is crucial to the entire system.
Anyone who has a car can get a job with Grub Hub or Door Dash delivering orders from restaurants.

Reaction Score
For Small Business Owners - Things are changing daily and there will be opportunities for financial assistance unlike we've seen before. Try to reduce all of your fixed costs as much as possible. Question everything.

Loans and credit card debt: Deferments and waver of fees are likely. Even new loans will likely be available
Taxes: Extensions and penalty relief may be available. Contact the government agency or your accountant.
Rent: Check with your landlord to see what can be worked out. Landlords may have opportunities to defer payments so they should be willing to will work with their tenants.
Network: Opportunity to use the extra free time to be creative and contact (phone, skype, zoom, text) other business owners, offer complimentary advice, or other consulting services

Reaction Score
I work for a reputable technology company in CT and if there’s anyone on the board that owns/works for a small to mid size business and you’re looking for advice/options/solutions to stay up and running, PM me. Solutions range from video conferencing, fax from home, scanning solutions, HIPPA compliant Tele-Health, etc.

I’ll try to help in any way that I can, whether it’s me personally, or I can put you in contact with the appropriate people.

Stay safe everyone

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom