Singapore Air Prem econ v. Air China biz class? | The Boneyard

Singapore Air Prem econ v. Air China biz class?

Reaction Score
Thx in advance for any input.

I know there are lots of seasoned travelers here...I've got a flight conundrum and could use advise from anyone that has flown either/both of these carriers

I'm flying to Asia and budget allows for Premium economy on Singapore Air or a Biz class on Air China..I know singapore is a great airline, but know nothing of Air China

The Singapore flight is direct (18 hours) and about 50% of the cost of the Air China Biz class flight...which has a 9 hour layover in PEK.

My budged doesn't allow Singapor air biz class...

So, is Air China Biz class ok? It's half the price of other biz class tickets.

How good is sin air prem econ? I know not lay flat, but is it good enough for an 18 hr flt?

Any advice/insight/suggestions appreciated

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Reaction Score
Thx in advance for any input.

I know there are lots of seasoned travelers here...I've got a flight conundrum and could use advise from anyone that has flown either/both of these carriers

I'm flying to Asia and budget allows for Premium economy on Singapore Air or a Biz class on Air China..I know singapore is a great airline, but know nothing of Air China

The Singapore flight is direct (18 hours) and about 50% of the cost of the Air China Biz class flight...which has a 9 hour layover in PEK.

My budged doesn't allow Singapor air biz class...

So, is Air China Biz class ok? It's half the price of other biz class tickets.

How good is sin air prem econ? I know not lay flat, but is it good enough for an 18 hr flt?

Any advice/insight/suggestions appreciated

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Not familiar with either......but I would recommend Skype!!

:cool:

Reaction Score
I vote Singapore Airlines. I’ve flown Premium Economy a few times and it’s always a good experience. Are you flying the EWR to SIN direct flight? If so, that’s pretty cool!

I have flown out of PEK once and spent a few hours in the Air China First Class lounge. It was decently nice and service was good, but nothing extraordinary. I’d save the 50% and fly direct.

Reaction Score
I've never flown to Asia so I can't help you, but I can't imagine just giving away 9 hours of time for a layover where a direct flight is possible. 9 hours is enough time to sleep in a real bed in a hotel once you land.

Reaction Score
I’ve flown both many times and I’d go with SQ. The 9 hour layover in PEK negates whatever extra comfort Air China biz seats may provide. Overall Air China has average service and amenities.
Likewise; typically 9 hr layovers are deal killers with a few possible caveats/it depends considerations for @NJHusky

Star Alliance-member AC’s the best mainland airline, but is it really an AC or quite possibly a UA flight with too many miserable old fogey UA flight attendants? Unlike many other mainland competitors, AC’s a reasonably decent airline.

If you opt for the AC/US code share flight, reserve an adjoining PEK T3 on-site hotel room (rec Hilton or Cordis). Or, minimally park in AC’s business lounge (showers, ok food, etc); bring noise-canceling headphones; use quality eye mask, etc.

SG’s economy leg room > any N American or Chinese airline. Still sukcs if 6’3”+ and not a skinny E Asian guy, but it’s only 2 days. Plus, SG = best global airline, similarly Star Alliance-points, relative higher quality economy food, zero chance of UA’s pre-historic, pissed at the world flight attendants, etc.

Bon voyage

Reaction Score
Likewise; typically 9 hr layovers are deal killers with a few possible caveats/it depends considerations for @NJHusky

Star Alliance-member AC’s the best mainland airline, but is it really an AC or quite possibly a UA flight with too many miserable old fogey UA flight attendants? Unlike many other mainland competitors, AC’s a reasonably decent airline.

If you opt for the AC/US code share flight, reserve an adjoining PEK T3 on-site hotel room (rec Hilton or Cordis). Or, minimally park in AC’s business lounge (showers, ok food, etc); bring noise-canceling headphones; use quality eye mask, etc.

SG’s economy leg room > any N American or Chinese airline. Still sukcs if 6’3”+ and not a skinny E Asian guy, but it’s only 2 days. Plus, SG = best global airline, similarly Star Alliance-points, relative higher quality economy food, zero chance of UA’s pre-historic, pissed at the world flight attendants, etc.

Bon voyage

10/10, travel blog worthy.

Reaction Score
Great service on Air China. Better than Emirates in my view. Don’t know about Singapore Air. Only downside is I hate the communists.

Reaction Score
SQ for sure. World's best airline direct flight vs decent mainland China carrier with a 9hr layover? That's a no brainer.

Reaction Score
IMO, when you travel it is best to get to your destination as quickly as possible, even if some comfort is sacrificed.

Reaction Score
I vote Singapore Airlines. I’ve flown Premium Economy a few times and it’s always a good experience. Are you flying the EWR to SIN direct flight? If so, that’s pretty cool!

I have flown out of PEK once and spent a few hours in the Air China First Class lounge. It was decently nice and service was good, but nothing extraordinary. I’d save the 50% and fly direct.
Yes ewr to sin. I’ve done the trip via Tokyo in the past because SQ didn’t have that route for a few year. Done JFK to joburg which is 18+

Reaction Score
Take it from me: U don't want to hang 8 hrs in a China airport / Chna now-a-days.

Reaction Score
Air china is so so. Not amazing
Yet, AC and China Southern, the largest mainland airline by passsenger #s and now partnered with AA, are typically much better than even some other major mainland competitors, e.g., rubbish China Eastern (Sky) let alone most newer mainland airlines. Service considerations aside, majority state-owned AC conveniently appears to have markedly more experienced pilots than mainland competitors (my eyes, others’ views) and is widely believed to hold air space priorities over other airlines including Cathay on the HK routes to/from Shanghai and Beijing.

Reaction Score
Singapore Air - When I traveled to that region for sure. Great safety record.

Reaction Score
Yes ewr to sin. I’ve done the trip via Tokyo in the past because SQ didn’t have that route for a few year. Done JFK to joburg which is 18+

That’s awesome! EWR to SIN is the longest in the world currently. I hope to fly that one day. Qantas has been testing NY and London to Sydney flights this year which would surpass it. And I’ve done the JFK-JNB round trip as well. It’s been about a year now but that was around 16 hours if I remember correctly.

Reaction Score
That’s awesome! EWR to SIN is the longest in the world currently. I hope to fly that one day. Qantas has been testing NY and London to Sydney flights this year which would surpass it. And I’ve done the JFK-JNB round trip as well. It’s been about a year now but that was around 16 hours if I remember correctly.
You're prob right on the time...it just seemed longer in my mind..lol The most disconcerting aspect was once we boarded, the plane discovered it was so old it had ashtrays....a bit troubling when most of your flight is over the ocean.. :0)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Love Singapore air. It’s been a while but they are great. And Changi is one of the top airports in the world, get there a little early on the way home and enjoy the ambiance.

Reaction Score
Check out SkyLux. They offer premium/business fares at reduced prices, and they were trying to sell me on an Air China flight (with a shorter Beijing layover). See how their costs compare.

Reaction Score
I’ve flown both many times and I’d go with SQ. The 9 hour layover in PEK negates whatever extra comfort Air China biz seats may provide. Overall Air China has average service and amenities.

Plus, with a 9 hour lay-over, one would hope to have enough time to leave the airport and explore a bit, which I've done on long connections at Schiphol (Amsterdam). I'm not clear on any Visa requirements that would allow for such on a connection at Capital Airport; but, Beijing traffic eliminates any hope of doing that, so you are stuck at the airport and are better off getting a hotel room to show and sleep in if you can. So, I would go with the direct to Singapore.

I've flown over a few times and Singapore is my favorite Asia Pac airline that I have been on (plus I get United miles). My second choice is ANA connecting through Narita (Tokyo), which is also a United partner; but, its further north of most of the Asian cities and thus adds a few hours to the second leg of any flight. My second choice used to be Cathay Pacific; but, I would avoid flying through Hong Kong right now. I've never been a big fan of China Air (Beijing) or China Eastern (Shanghai), especially after it was recommended by corp secuity that I bring a stripped-down, temp laptop and phone with me if going through China customs (I know business people in Europe who have been told to do the same going through US customs, too).

Reaction Score
Unrelated clarification:

China Air(lines) = Taiwan national airlines
vs
Air China = mainland primarily-SOE holding corp (“CANA”). CANA owns shares of all major mainland airlines as well as shares of Cathay Pacific and Dragon in HK and Tibet Airlines in Lhasa, Tibet). AC and Cathay also own shares of each other

Reaction Score
Check out SkyLux. They offer premium/business fares at reduced prices, and they were trying to sell me on an Air China flight (with a shorter Beijing layover). See how their costs compare.
Thx will check

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom