Silver linings to Paige's injury

Reaction Score
One potential upside is the growth of NIKA MUHL as not only an "enthusiastic"
leader and offensive and defensive " sparkplug", but also Nika as a leader in
the Evina Westbrook mold. They have different temperaments, of course,
but if NIKA can grow into the "MOMA " Westbrook style of leadership:
maturity and poise, it would be wonderful for the team and for NIKA

Reaction Score
No silver lining will replace the loss of our leader but just maybe. Everything mentioned is a maybe or a what if, that said I offer the following what if and my maybe. My what if.... Caroline is at least 95% recovered from her hip trouble- I remember watching many videos of her HS games where she was playing as the point guard bringing the ball down the court and making the initial pass more often than not running to the post in effect playing two positions on most possessions. While she is not what the Huskies want for a point, why not use her as a 2 when needed?
Now for my maybe.... just maybe with the golden lady sidelined for this season and maybe more, a top-notch player sees this as an opportunity to commit to UCONN who may have been put off by the wealth of talent at and heading to UCONN. If we land another top 5 or so recruit because of Paige's injury I guess that could be a silver lining. There are some top-notch guards out there who we would love to add to our roster.
I am not sure about your last sentence and not sure-someone will magically appear.
B&C

Reaction Score
If you watch Lou's game much she is perhaps most prepared to handle Paige's role on the team. She is great at coming off screens and nailing a jump shot. I think she emerges as a more important player as a result of this horrid development. No one can replace Paige but Lou is capable of doing at least some of the same things.

I don't want Caroline playing point nearly at all but she's not bad at breaking a press. She's a smart, well trained player and I hope to God she's healthy when the season starts. She is best when she can move and get under the basket to post up a guard.

I see Azzi in the same role she had last year. She already was drawing the focus of the other teams. I do see a few more pull up jumpers which she is very good at. She's more than a 3 point shooter. Her game advances this year. She may be a better point guard than some others but she's a slam dunk shooting guard. Coming up a lot of her play was at the point though. She can be a Rori Harmon type point guard and it may be a big part of her game this year. Nika can't play all the time or if she does we won't be maximized.

Aubrey is going to be needed even more now. I hope she emerges as a defensive stopper and overall contributor.

Stanford and SC are our two biggest competitors and both should have huge lineups this year. Betts will be a force and Stanford still has a lot of size in the front line left from last year. And SC has the same size they crushed us with last year. The bottom line is we are probably going to go with a bigger lineup now as we are going to need to. Ice, Amari and Ayanna can help us but it will be more from a rebounding and box out perspective than taking jumpers from the top of the key. I know Geno loves that ability but part of it is because he had Briana Stewart for God's sake. He doesn't have that and probably is not going to have that although Ice might be closer to that than anyone. I think our big lineup ( 3 bigs ) might be huge for us this year. We may find it is utilized more now that we have lost Paige. Maybe Caroline is that 3rd big sometimes also.

We probably don't go the year without losing another guard or 2 for a while. We are going to need the 3 big lineup for a number of reasons. Keeping people healthy might be a big part of that.

sun

Reaction Score
My silver lining mantra is going to be now UConn is free to be a "Cinderella" team due to the Cinderella effect.
The fans won't need to have such high expectations or as much disappointment by UConn not reaching the Final Four because now they can be a Cinderella team.

The players won't need to feel as much pressure because now they can be Cinderella players.
Nothing is expected so every win is an up & up, and every loss is "we're feeling so glad to be UConn and not sad at all."
It's not about winning it all or nothing, and pouting because we didn't win a NC, and because we lost Paige.
It's about playing UConn basketball with crisp, rhythmic passing and striving for perfect ball handling.
Not taking random shots but being able to simply outplay the opponent by using their brains.

If they can't do it then they can't do it.
Let Geno make all of the wrong decisions, let the players make all of the mistakes that they want while leaning.
It isn't going to bother me because now they're a Cinderella team.
Let the team fall to #20 in the national rankings.
Then folks will realize that we can still be a Cinderella team in the NCAAT and appreciate it.

This is the capper, if we don't make the FF because I don't expect them to, then when Paige comes back UConn will have an even better chance to go all of the way to win their 12th NC.

So let the whole season just fall apart and see how it can help UConn win its next NC in 2023-2024 with Paige.
It's a relief, just enjoy the show for whatever entertainment that it brings.
There's no reason to get worked up about anything.
The girls will have fun, Geno will pull out his hair, the team will improve, but in the end they're going home empty handed because they're only a Cinderella team this year.
Maybe they will beat somebody, but just don't expect it.
If they win a big game then I want it to surprise me because I'm not going to expect it from them.
I already know that if something can go wrong then it will.
Next year after this will be a fresh start for NC #12.
That's my silver lining, to relax and enjoy the season without the usual pressure of needing UConn to win in order to prove something.
They can succeed because they're a Cinderella team but not for any of the usual reasons such as because they're better than everyone else.
They can only win if they're luckier than anyone else.
Cinderella was the luckiest lady. she got her wishes granted and glass slippers and everything she ever wanted.
But it all takes some time., and 1st her carriage had turn back into a pumpkin.
Now we just need to wait for the story to eventually come to the happy ending that we all know will occur....eventually.

Reaction Score
if we can stay healthy, we still can get to the FF.
I still optimistically believe this is a Final Four team without Paige. Every loss last year came not just without Paige, but without another significant player in our rotation (Azzi, Caroline, Christyn, Liv, etc.). Hell, they almost beat Louisville (an eventual Final Four team) like a week and a half after Paige went down & without Nika, Azzi, and Aubrey. The only legitimate losses I consider from last season were to South Carolina. I think with Paige, they were clearly the #2 team in the country behind the defending champs. Without her, I still think they can be a top 5 team if the right developments are made and everyone focuses on doing all the little things to collectively make up for Paige’s absence.

Reaction Score
I hope you're right but it is also possible to view it the opposite way............PB may think it is best to get to the WNBA as quickly as possible knowing that an additional injury could further delay her transition to the pro game...........
If you’re referring to her possibly declaring early after this year (meaning we would have already seen the last of her in a UConn jersey) I think the likelihood is extremely slim for two reasons.
1) She spent all that time convincing Azzi to come to UConn and I’d doubt she’d leave without them even playing a full season together. We all know she wants to win a NT badly so I don’t see her or Azzi leaving without at least one.
2) Seeing as the recovery time for ACL tears are typically anywhere from 9-12 months, that would likely put her return date somewhere around May-August 2023. Since the draft and training camp happen in April/early May, she would likely miss out on a good chunk of her rookie season should she declare. I just don’t see it happening.

Reaction Score
My silver lining mantra is going to be now UConn is free to be a "Cinderella" team due to the Cinderella effect.
The fans won't need to have such high expectations or as much disappointment by UConn not reaching the Final Four because now they can be a Cinderella team.

The players won't need to feel as much pressure because now they can be Cinderella players.
Nothing is expected so every win is an up & up, and every loss is "we're feeling so glad to be UConn and not sad at all."
It's not about winning it all or nothing, and pouting because we didn't win a NC, and because we lost Paige.
It's about playing UConn basketball with crisp, rhythmic passing and striving for perfect ball handling.
Not taking random shots but being able to simply outplay the opponent by using their brains.

If they can't do it then they can't do it.
Let Geno make all of the wrong decisions, let the players make all of the mistakes that they want while leaning.
It isn't going to bother me because now they're a Cinderella team.
Let the team fall to #20 in the national rankings.
Then folks will realize that we can still be a Cinderella team in the NCAAT and appreciate it.

This is the capper, if we don't make the FF because I don't expect them to, then when Paige comes back UConn will have an even better chance to go all of the way to win their 12th NC.

So let the whole season just fall apart and see how it can help UConn win its next NC in 2023-2024 with Paige.
It's a relief, just enjoy the show for whatever entertainment that it brings.
There's no reason to get worked up about anything.
The girls will have fun, Geno will pull out his hair, the team will improve, but in the end they're going home empty handed because they're only a Cinderella team this year.
Maybe they will beat somebody, but just don't expect it.
If they win a big game then I want it to surprise me because I'm not going to expect it from them.
I already know that if something can go wrong then it will.
Next year after this will be a fresh start for NC #12.
That's my silver lining, to relax and enjoy the season without the usual pressure of needing UConn to win in order to prove something.
They can succeed because they're a Cinderella team but not for any of the usual reasons such as because they're better than everyone else.
They can only win if they're luckier than anyone else.
Cinderella was the luckiest lady. she got her wishes granted and glass slippers and everything she ever wanted.
But it all takes some time., and 1st her carriage had turn back into a pumpkin.
Now we just need to wait for the story to eventually come to the happy ending that we all know will occur....eventually.
These comments and ideas by "sun" are refreshing. But what is such a mature attitude doing
on the Boneyard blog??!!! (that's a joke, son !!) My corollary is that we/UCONN can be a Cinderella like
Creighton was = getting into the tournament and then making some real NOISE! ( e.g. Final Four??) A lot of learning has yet to
be done by individual team members, the staff, and the fans. I watch in anticipation of good basketball and
gradual growth as a remarkable UCONN Women's BB team! Go Huskies!! P. S. Geno, pick up a
nice guard, maybe one with a Spanish surname (Claudia C?). She will nicely complement our Croatia, Hungarian,
Canadian, and French composition! Go linguists!!

Reaction Score
Reading the quotes from Paige: not only is she a remarkable player but she has gained wisdom over her brief years
that will stand her in good stead on the court and more importantly just 24/7 as she gets older...ups and downs to be expected and dealt with in wonderful fashion.

BTW: a dash of good luck might be overdue.
Hello - where can I find the quotes from Paige ? Thanks

Reaction Score
If you’re referring to her possibly declaring early after this year (meaning we would have already seen the last of her in a UConn jersey) I think the likelihood is extremely slim for two reasons.
1) She spent all that time convincing Azzi to come to UConn and I’d doubt she’d leave without them even playing a full season together. We all know she wants to win a NT badly so I don’t see her or Azzi leaving without at least one.
2) Seeing as the recovery time for ACL tears are typically anywhere from 9-12 months, that would likely put her return date somewhere around May-August 2023. Since the draft and training camp happen in April/early May, she would likely miss out on a good chunk of her rookie season should she declare. I just don’t see it happening.
Heck, I'd like her to stay at UConn for six years if she could.........I think it's likely she will return for at least one more season for the reasons you stated...........after that she may consider moving on...........I suppose much will depend on whether UConn wins an NC next season.......

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I am not sure about your last sentence and not sure-someone will magically appear.
B&C
My last sentence seems to say exactly what I was conveying. I didn't say magically appear, The intent is that a POI or UCONN recruit may be more inclined to the Husky life if there was more of a pathway for playing time. Be it a 2023 or 2024 player, I hope this clears it up for you. :rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I remember at the beginning of the 2016-2017 season almost everyone was talking about a down season. They lost the top 3 players on the team to the WNBA, they were also the first 3 picks in the draft. Many were saying that with those 3 leaving that it would end the Final Four streak.

The press and pundits were all predicting that UConn would have 3 to 5 losses and that they couldn't overcome the loss of Stewie, MoJeff, and Tuck, some were even saying that UConn could have trouble winning the AAC.

Geno may have done some of his best coaching ever with the assistance of CD, Shea, and Marisa, coming up with a plan to utilize an undersized team with no starting center and Seniors that had been playing major minutes the previous season. But they had a whole Summer to come up with a plan and they implemented it to perfection. They were so close to getting to the NC game and went 36 - 1.

The coaches have more than enough time to come up with a plan to have this team play to their potential and have more Senior leadership then the 16-17 team. They have more experienced bigs then the 16-17 team had. Plus, they have something that the 16-17 didn't have and that is almost all of the current players have had to play 20+ games without Paige in the lineup, so they know what needs to be done.

I believe that this team will come together very quickly and play their hearts out, they may not have a 36-1 season, they may not make the Final Four, BUT they WILL give it their all from the first official practice till their final game of the 22-23 season, not only for themselves, but for their fans, their school, and for PAIGE.

Reaction Score
I believe that this team will come together very quickly and play their hearts out, they may not have a 36-1 season, they may not make the Final Four, BUT they WILL give it their all from the first official practice till their final game of the 22-23 season, not only for themselves, but for their fans, their school, and for PAIGE.
Totally agree with everything you said... except for one thing: They will make the Final Four.

You heard it here first.

sun

Reaction Score
These comments and ideas by "sun" are refreshing. But what is such a mature attitude doing
on the Boneyard blog??!!! (that's a joke, son !!) My corollary is that we/UCONN can be a Cinderella like
Creighton was = getting into the tournament and then making some real NOISE! ( e.g. Final Four??) A lot of learning has yet to
be done by individual team members, the staff, and the fans. I watch in anticipation of good basketball and
gradual growth as a remarkable UCONN Women's BB team! Go Huskies!! P. S. Geno, pick up a
nice guard, maybe one with a Spanish surname (Claudia C?). She will nicely complement our Croatia, Hungarian,
Canadian, and French composition! Go linguists!!
Thanks. My thpughts are based on UConn needing to break its FF streak before it can win another NC.
Sort of like taking 2 steps back before taking 1 step forward.

It seems like all of the breaks continue to go Scar's way, so I'm just going with the flow for now.
And I really like the idea of Geno bringing in a rental player or 2.

Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe, this is where Paige gets some coaching experience to use after her future 33 years in WNBA [should she stay healthy] and come back as the coach when Geno retires* at 100 years old. :cool: :cool: :cool:

*Only because Tara wouldn't retire until Geno had 100 wins more than her... ;)

*Or Paige came back as Associate Head Coach when CD retired 5 years earlier, and Geno could only take 5 years with Paige... ;)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
No silver lining, that was last year. This year, total team production.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with everything you said... except for one thing: They will make the Final Four.

You heard it here first.
Think it’s been said quite a few times already- and I agree too

Reaction Score

You heard it here first.
I obviously hope that you are right. But I fear that you are not. With so many unknowns right now, it’s hard for me to have an opinion yet. I’m also still in denial about Paige’s injury.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

You heard it here first.
Just picking a nit -- "They may not make the final four" is not equivalent to "they will not win a national championship." :)

I thought MSGRET's post was a really good argument why Husky Nation shouldn't abandon all hope. :D

Reaction Score
I obviously hope that you are right. But I fear that you are not. With so many unknowns right now, it’s hard for me to have an opinion yet. I’m also still in denial about Paige’s injury.
I hear you, and share those feelings. The BY serves various purposes. One of them is to allow us to comfort each other during a crisis -- like this one -- by telling each other it will all turn out well. This is important work we can do for each other.

But it is also simply the case that our girls are awesome, and we shouldn't let the events of the last couple days trick us into losing sight of these simple facts:
  • Azzi and Caroline are among the best all around players in the nation -- and we have 2 of them!

• Nika, Aubrey and Aaliyah are outstanding defenders and transition players.

• Dorka is poised to have her best season yet.

• Ice and Ayanna are the two best freshmen in the country. And next year we'll get the two best freshmen again!

• Lou is about to breathe the headier atmosphere of a D1, top-25, national title contender, and she will be inspired by it. Every game will be a chance to prove herself on the brightest stage in the world.

• And Amari's greatness will emerge first on D, blocking shots, grabbing rebounds and throwing outlet passes. Once she feels her power, look out!
I know, there's a lot of If's, but so what -- the summer is entirely composed of If's. Drink it in and enjoy the prospect of greatness to come!

Reaction Score
Here’s another positive. For the 3rd season in a row Geno will have to earn his substantial salary, as opposed to say the 2015-16 season when all he had to do was turn the lights on & off in the gym…..:rolleyes:
You do realize Geno's '15/'16 role was a bit more complicated than that right? I mean he also had to remember the lights went on at the start and off at the end. I've heard rumors that he got so much gym time to focus on the sequence that CD hasn't once had to turn the lights back on at the start of practice since.

Which brings me to my serious contribution. Players will hone skills in actual "in-game" situations more frequently. Having the opportunity to do things against actual opponents is invaluable. Coaches will have more opportunity to evaluate a players readiness to contribute. "Hooks" will be employed more judiciously allowing players to concentrate more on execution and less on a quick removal. Players will become more astute at assessing risk.

Reaction Score
Of all the unknowns for the upcoming season, the biggest for me is how Amari will do. My memory of her last season was just playing mop up minutes and taking outside shots. I’d love for her to add an aggressive inside game and contribute more this season- the need is now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom