SI-Possible changes to bowl season | The Boneyard

SI-Possible changes to bowl season

Reaction Score
I would agree with the proposal of teams needing to be 7 - 5 to be bowl eligible but going off of the final standings for this year most bowls will end up with 6 - 6 teams. What do they then do if they still don't have enough teams? I understand that some of the bowl games will be used down the road as CFP games because they don't want the home team games.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I disagree with not having first round games on campus. The argument that Ohio State's first round game would have been played at home during that harsh weather is a bunch of garbage. Part of this sport is being ready to play anywhere, anytime. The point of having home field advantage is if the elements favor your normal. So TCU can't handle cold (yes this is uncharacteristic and historic cold), sucks to be them. You play to get a higher seed and get home field advantage. No need to "level the playing field" by having all warm weather games.

Secondly, I'd be curious to see how many of these bowls would be willing to give up their bowl game because of the tightening of getting 7-5 teams. Doing that would require less bowl games. These bowls bring in revenue through tourism. I don't see them just volunteering to close up shop.

Will be curious to how this goes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
First round games should definitely be at home as a reward for those teams. Why make it easier for the 5th best SEC team to advance as a lower seed? Everything before the semis should be on-campus.
But that means we’d have to play on the practice field, or on the soccer field, I guess.

Reaction Score
Hahah. You know what I meant… at the home teams selected venue. :D

Reaction Score
I prefer the old bowl system to the playoff, but that’s just me. Why is everything in the USA a tournament?

Anyhow, if the bowls make money, you have viewers, participants and a host, why are we worried about how many there are?

Sports pontificators say there are too many bowls games…why?

And, if both teams play hard in bowl game and want to win…isn’t that good enough?

The biggest risk to bowl games is top 25 teams having players opt out.

Reaction Score
I prefer the old bowl system to the playoff, but that’s just me. Why is everything in the USA a tournament?

Anyhow, if the bowls make money, you have viewers, participants and a host, why are we worried about how many there are?

And, if both teams play hard in bowl game and want to win…isn’t that good enough?

Im with you John. There was nothing better than the Rose Bowl on New Years Day. The college football championship tournament is something we truly didn’t need. We need an expanded one even less. And who cares if once every 10 years the 2 polls name different champs? It gives you something to debate in the off-season.

I can’t wait for a potential top draft pick quarterback to opt out of the CFP. It will happen eventually.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Why is everything in the USA a tournament?
Because that's how you find out who is the winner?

I get the charm of the old bowl system...but I love the playoffs....I hate that it's usually the same handful of teams...but I like that the winner of the national championship actually has to beat more than one top team to win the title.

And I am looking forward to the expanded playoffs.

Reaction Score

They can make millions and millions more in ad sales, than they can in a bowl format. If you think the push for a 12 football team playoff is to give a chance to more teams, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Reaction Score
They can make millions and millions more in ad sales, than they can in a bowl format. If you think the push for a 12 football team playoff is to give a chance to more teams, then I have a bridge to sell you.
I’m in the market for a new bridge. What do you have?

Reaction Score
I dont care about money. The fans don’t make money.

Fans are clamoring for these tournaments. It’s dumb. Just go back to old system. It was better. More fun anyway. I think the playoffs, while very profitable (again, as a fan do you care?), lead to awful games.

I would rather have the bowls and the arguments.

No one wants cold weather playoff games at Michigan in December. and sec teams wound whine if they had to play in it .

Reaction Score
Secondly. So few teams have realistic chance at a playoff bid and to win. The non playoff teams seasons are essentially over once they lose a game.

It worked for 100 years, but tv got in the way and ruined the sport. Register season is. Unmatched. Colelge football playoff is awful football.

Reaction Score
The 12 team playoff is all about getting more at large playoff berths to the B1G and SEC.

Reaction Score
Dozens of bowl games played is weird locations isn't charming to me. I don't mind bowls, but I like the playoffs. I think it should be 8 teams and keep the other bowls. Half these bowls will have new names every 5 years. I like it for the players and fans, but I don't see how the playoff hurts that. It doesn't have to be "either or".

Reaction Score
I’m in the market for a new bridge. What do you have?
Here’s one you might like……….

2A29A1D9-A68D-45ED-A4AD-4BFD51804A06.jpeg

Reaction Score

Fans are clamoring for these tournaments. It’s dumb. Just go back to old system. It was better. More fun anyway. I think the playoffs, while very profitable (again, as a fan do you care?), lead to awful games.

No one wants cold weather playoff games at Michigan in December. and sec teams wound whine if they had to play in it .
Hear what you’re saying, and agree somewhat, but I was just speaking about the reality of broadcasting where the broadcasters sell commercial time to people who want to sell all sorts of products to the masses, and to you and your neighbors. Maybe a Ford all electric F-150, or two Woppers for only $5. Money talks, been that way for 5 thousand or so years.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I hear ya...still disagree. Looking forward to the playoff games tomorrow.

Every other sport has multi round playoffs. Seems like a good idea for college football also.

I am sure it's mainly about money...but I enjoy the best team being decided on the field versus a poll or algorithm.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It worked for 100 years, but tv got in the way and ruined the sport.
100 years ago? So you want eliminate every bowl game except for the Rose Bowl?

Reaction Score
Secondly. So few teams have realistic chance at a playoff bid and to win. The non playoff teams seasons are essentially over once they lose a game.

It worked for 100 years, but tv got in the way and ruined the sport. Register season is. Unmatched. Colelge football playoff is awful football.
What's the difference between the bowl games now in the current playoff system vs the old days? I'm pro playoff BTW. Imagine if college basketball ended with 2 national champions based off of opinions. Does an expanded playoff eliminate Gasparilla bowl?

Reaction Score
What's the difference between the bowl games now in the current playoff system vs the old days? I'm pro playoff BTW. Imagine if college basketball ended with 2 national champions based off of opinions. Does an expanded playoff eliminate Gasparilla bowl?
Good point!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom