Show(us)time for UConn's Williams | The Boneyard

Show(us)time for UConn's Williams

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

“I proved to myself that I could hang with the big dogs,” Williams said this month at the Werth Champions Center. “I feel like there was stigma surrounding my name that every time we would play a big non-conference game that I don’t show up. So my mindset from the Big East tournament on last year was, ‘I’m good.’ I’ve always had a little confidence thing going on but I knew that I had to turn it up for the tournaments.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think she has figured it out. It starts and ends with confidence. I am penciling her in for AA.

Nice Husky style quote "“I proved to myself that I could hang with the big dogs,”"

Reaction Score
I think she has figured it out. It starts and ends with confidence. I am penciling her in for AA.

Nice Husky style quote "“I proved to myself that I could hang with the big dogs,”"
I certainly hope that is the case---that she's figured it out--but the lingering question remains and has to be asked: How many times does CW have to reinvent, redefine, reestablish, reinvigorate herself before we have the right version of her?

Reaction Score
I love this article and I hope and Pray she is able to continue to block out the antagonist and just play her game. She is so fun to watch when she is in her Bag. I also hope and Pray that the added players are able to give us some solid depth in our rotations so that our starters don't have to log heavy minutes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I certainly hope that is the case---that she's figured it out--but the lingering question remains and has to be asked: How many times does CW have to reinvent, redefine, reestablish, reinvigorate herself before we have the right version of her?
If she goes in the wrong direction, with the depth available, she might lose the starting job (or significant minutes). In a final year with WNBA positioning in play, That is a different level of motivation.

Reaction Score
If she goes in the wrong direction, with the depth available, she might lose the starting job (or significant minutes). In a final year with WNBA positioning in play, That is a different level of motivation.
She will lose her starting job when husky dogs fly..Liv on the other hand...

Reaction Score
She will lose her starting job when husky dogs fly..Liv on the other hand...
I agree that CW likely keeps her starting job. However, as far as flying huskies go.....that's a thing.....

Attachments

• Flying Husky #1.jpg
    Flying Husky #1.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Flying Husky #2.jpg
    Flying Husky #2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 63
Reaction Score

Yup. It always comes down to confidence. Having that confidence opens the door to so many things. Glad that CW developed that confidence and just played. Last year was definitely a good showing. Huge improvement from that sophomore season. I just hope that she stays hungry and not get comfortable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think things turned when she committed to be the defensive stopper. Plus, she may be the third option on offense. Less pressure to score.
And less of opportunity for other teams to key on her. I think Christyn is going benefit greatly from the additions of Paige (last year), Azzi and Caroline. They all have be guarded out beyond the three. That means that driving to hoop, perhaps what Christyn does best, should be easier. On top of that the fact that she won't have to play nearly the entire game so she should have fresher legs.

Note that I said perhaps what she does best, because Christyn is a solid three point shooter and as @victor64 noted, has really stepped up her defense.

I feel like this is going to be a really good year for Christyn. Just a hunch.

Reaction Score
Agreed! CW seems to suffer from what so many athletes do in today’s media soaked world. They seem unable to simply let their game speak for them. They constantly have to avow “I finally get it!” with every uptick or great game! Then they promptly go out and lay another egg, thus showing everyone that they really don’t! Best to simply stay humble, work hard, and let their game do the talking. If and when they begin consistently performing well in big games/situations their “I finally get it” statements will actually mean something! Having said that, I must say ( in classic “homer” tradition) I’ve never doubted CW’s sincerity when she would claim that her inconsistencies were finally behind her for good. I think she sincerely believed they were. However, she would do well Imo to remember the old adage, “One swallow does not a summer make” and wait til she has laid down a string of solid performances before claiming victory over her inconsistency. Here’s hoping her performances toward the end of last season were indeed the emergence of a new, consistently dominant and focused Christyn, a savvy, determined senior who will let her play do the talking and who will finally fulfill the potential that we all (most of us, anyway) believe she possesses.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
With the moving of the three point line, the transfer of Dorka, and the Freshman that are coming in this year, I see many opportunities that they didn't have last year.

The three point line will make it easier to drive to the basket or drop the pass down low to the bigs. Dorka adds height and bulk to the line up. While the Freshman have some sharpshooters that will open up the lanes. The combination of all will force teams to pick their poison.

If they decide to pack the paint, then they pass the ball to the sharpshooters. If they guard the line then the cutters can drive the lane for lay ups or drop passes to the bigs.

I can't wait to see what Geno and his coaches do this year. This could end up being one of the best teams in UConn Women's basketball history, come on November.

Reaction Score
With the moving of the three point line, the transfer of Dorka, and the Freshman that are coming in this year, I see many opportunities that they didn't have last year.

The three point line will make it easier to drive to the basket or drop the pass down low to the bigs. Dorka adds height and bulk to the line up. While the Freshman have some sharpshooters that will open up the lanes. The combination of all will force teams to pick their poison.

If they decide to pack the paint, then they pass the ball to the sharpshooters. If they guard the line then the cutters can drive the lane for lay ups or drop passes to the bigs.

I can't wait to see what Geno and his coaches do this year. This could end up being one of the best teams in UConn Women's basketball history, come on November.
I think, with the combination of talented experienced players and young phenoms, that the pressure is really going to be on those coaches( well, one coach) that you mention.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom