Should UCONN use a Kim schedule? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should UCONN use a Kim schedule?

Reaction Score
Was the bench being developed? No.
I think you assume that all players can be developed. Some players reach their peak in HS or shortly thereafter. Some players don't reach their full capabilities until their 3rd or 4th year in college. Some sadly just never do. UCONN and all schools have had examples of all over the years. More PT isn't necessarily the answer.

Without identifying by name there are some who will just never advance beyond a certain level regardless of the minutes they get.. This is just one of the difficulties in recruiting; projecting player growth even with the best of coaching.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How about a Stephanie Dolson or Tina Charles, or a Kia Stokes? I’d take a clone of any of them.
How many 6-5 kids do you see? Geno is already recruiting Adhel Tac and Katie Koval.

Reaction Score
You can analyze, as has been suggested, changing coaches, changing the schedule, getting bigger, etc., etc., etc. But the story of the loss is somewhat plain and simple and revolves around three things.
First, Edwards played 18 minutes and took 4 shots. Second, Uconn had 25 TOs. Third, shooting - between Fudd, Juhasz, Muhl, and Ducharme Uconn shot 2-16 from three and they shot 7-15 from the line.
In light of that, it really is kind of amazing they lost by only 12. They played poorly, they shot poorly and their best player was a total non-factor; it happens, it is unfortunate for sure, but it happens. All year the coaches and players all talked about picking each other up when someone was struggling. Again, very unfortunately, outside of Senechal and Juhasz they all struggled.

Reaction Score
The easy wins don’t do anything for anyone. Not the players, coaches, bench or fans. Why anyone would suggest such boggles my mind. Dominating an inferior opponent is not going to make bench more ready to play in March when teams punch back.
Killing Vermont didn't help; apples and oranges?

Reaction Score
How about using an easy first half schedule like Kim's?
If the first half of the season's schedule has "easy wins," then UCONN can build a strong and confident bench by letting them play more early in the season. Practice is great but there is nothing like playing games to learn. If the coach is confident they will win the game, then coach may be less inclined to yank players for a mistake. Players learn nothing playing in fear of making a mistake. With a strong bench, injuries may not hurt the team as much. The starters should average less than 30 minutes per game. Excluding their freshman years Stewie averaged 29.3 minutes per game, "D" 31.8, and Maya 30.7. Give the starters fresher legs for any given game and for the NCAA tournament. Even the best there ever was, benefited from fresh legs. The bench would actually contribute to close games later in the season.

UCONN won 11 NCAA championships. UCONN did not win a NCAA championship in 27 years. 29%? You can do better! ;):rolleyes:
Never.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
One problem is that UConn plays most of their tough games up front, while other teams play difficult conference tournaments to end the season.
Here we go again.

When UConn joined the AAC years ago the mantra was: the team won't be prepared for the NCAA tournament playing in such an easy conference.

After UConn won four straight National Championships (3 while in the awful AAC) the mantra became: it's unfair that UConn has a chance to rest during it's conference season (even though the AAC travel was brutal and UConn played ranked non-conference teams in Jan and Feb).

Then, after UConn failed to win a championship since 2016 we were back to hearing that the conference schedule isn't tough enough to prepare for the rigors of the Final Four.

But wait, a couple of years ago we began to hear from fans of other teams that UConn's conference schedule allows it to "rest and recover" before the tournament and that is so, so unfair.

Now we're back to the conference schedule isn't tough enough.

Like I always say, It's tough to keep up.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How about using an easy first half schedule like Kim's?
If the first half of the season's schedule has "easy wins," then UCONN can build a strong and confident bench by letting them play more early in the season. Practice is great but there is nothing like playing games to learn. If the coach is confident they will win the game, then coach may be less inclined to yank players for a mistake. Players learn nothing playing in fear of making a mistake. With a strong bench, injuries may not hurt the team as much. The starters should average less than 30 minutes per game. Excluding their freshman years Stewie averaged 29.3 minutes per game, "D" 31.8, and Maya 30.7. Give the starters fresher legs for any given game and for the NCAA tournament. Even the best there ever was, benefited from fresh legs. The bench would actually contribute to close games later in the season.

UCONN won 11 NCAA championships. UCONN did not win a NCAA championship in 27 years. 29%? You can do better! ;):rolleyes:
UConn fans will have different opinions on this. It works for Kim. She made the great 8 this year, and a top 5 national ranking. She's also in the SEC. A conference some consider the best in WCBB. The BIG EAST is hardly considered one of the best. Perhaps the best conference outside of the "Power 5" conferences. Personally, I don't think Geno could get away with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Perhaps cut back a little, but not to the extent Kim does. I would also note that Dawn Staley (South Carolina) plays her second 5 players without hesitation. She does not play a "cupcake" preseason schedule. It can be done. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No.

Why would UConn want to endanger its status as television’s most watched wbb team? That’s exactly what would happen if you Mulkey around with your non-conference schedule.

Girls watch NCAA wbb on television. PROSPECTS from across the nation! UConn’s presence in other markets is based on winning and playing other quality teams across the nation. Those games are on FOX. aNC or ESPN or, at worst, FS1 - not SNY.

If you wanna see your recruiting become local-based rather than national -even international - go ahead play Q-3s and Q-4s. (Just keep the SCar/contract. ;) )

Reaction Score
Simply put NO, NO, NO... the old saying "Iron sharpens Iron" comes to mind. You gotta push yourself (your Team) by playing top programs to learn about yourself and what needs to be done to improve. Play cupcakes and you are not ready when the big stage comes. If I recall correctly, UCONN was in the Championship Game Just ONE Year Ago... without their 6'5" post who broke her wrist in the Regional final... how could anyone plan for that??? They also had Paige still in recovery mode and Azzi with the flu (or something). Not saying the would have won last year, but without Dorka and a healthy Azzi it was much more difficult.

Reaction Score
Has it occurred to the OP that the term “Kim Schedule” is not viewed as a compliment?

Reaction Score
No, The Big East conference basketball is so weak UConn needs a tough out of conference schedule to make up for the weak Big East. The out of conference schedule for the most part needs to be completed before teams from the power conferences get into their conference play. In the power conferences there aren’t many easy games.

So no, UConn cannot afford to schedule East out of conference games.

Reaction Score
I say no for a couple of reasons but understand the concern. Would it be an advantage particularly with new players to have an easier non conference schedule to prepare for more meaningfull conference games? Sure, many team use the non conference schedule like an extended training camp, getting players used to different rotations, learning the system etc.

But we don't really have that option. Our big games are mostly out of conference, totally different from teams in the power 5 conferences. If we didn't schedule difficult national opponents then we would have a schedule that would be considered very weak for a national contender. The Big East may be as good as any non power 5 conference, but it still is not at that level.

Every year as the conference portion of the schedule approaches we are rated as having near the toughest schedule in the country. Then teams start playing mostly conference games and the schedule difficulty starts going in the opposite direction. Our schedule difficulty starts to fall and most Power 5 conference teams start to rise. We still wind up with a high level of difficulty, but only because of the early very challenging schedule.

I would rather ease into the season and have the big games toward the end not the beginning, but being in the Big East means if we are going to have a schedule as challenging as the top conference teams, we have to do it that way.

My other concern is recruiting. If you are trying for the very top players, which we do every year I think it would be hard to get them if the biggest games on your regular schedule are Villanova, Marquette, Depaul etc., they want the challenge and excitement of games against South Carolina, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Louisville and other top programs. Once again if you want to play those kind of teams, in most cases it needs to be early in the year, just the way it is if you are not in a top 5 conference.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The BIG EAST is hardly considered one of the best. Perhaps the best conference outside of the "Power 5" conferences.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I would also note that Dawn Staley (South Carolina) plays her second 5 players without hesitation. She does not play a "cupcake" preseason schedule. It can be done. :cool:
UCONN 18-2 in Big East - lost 2 to two 13-7 teams Marquette and St. Johns and beat 7 other conference teams by 10 or less points. Not impressive in a "hardly considered one of the best" conferences.

Look again, it is broke.

Because she focuses on developing the whole team not just a select few.

Reaction Score
I say no for a couple of reasons but understand the concern. Would it be an advantage particularly with new players to have an easier non conference schedule to prepare for more meaningfull conference games? Sure, many team use the non conference schedule like an extended training camp, getting players used to different rotations, learning the system etc.

But we don't really have that option. Our big games are mostly out of conference, totally different from teams in the power 5 conferences. If we didn't schedule difficult national opponents then we would have a schedule that would be considered very weak for a national contender. The Big East may be as good as any non power 5 conference, but it still is not at that level.

Every year as the conference portion of the schedule approaches we are rated as having near the toughest schedule in the country. Then teams start playing mostly conference games and the schedule difficulty starts going in the opposite direction. Our schedule difficulty starts to fall and most Power 5 conference teams start to rise. We still wind up with a high level of difficulty, but only because of the early very challenging schedule.

I would rather ease into the season and have the big games toward the end not the beginning, but being in the Big East means if we are going to have a schedule as challenging as the top conference teams, we have to do it that way.

My other concern is recruiting. If you are trying for the very top players, which we do every year I think it would be hard to get them if the biggest games on your regular schedule are Villanova, Marquette, Depaul etc., they want the challenge and excitement of games against South Carolina, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Louisville and other top programs. Once again if you want to play those kind of teams, in most cases it needs to be early in the year, just the way it is if you are not in a top 5 conference.
I don’t think UConn has anything to worry about with recruiting as long as Geno’s still there. He’s been killing it on the recruiting trail since the 2020 class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom