Should UCONN use a Kim schedule? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Should UCONN use a Kim schedule?

Reaction Score
Yes to more cupcakes. Seems they get injured too much playing tough teams. More cupcakes so that the starters can rest
I don't recall who the opponent was for the various injuries suffered by Dorka, Azzi, CD, but doubt it was because
of "tough" teams in every case, In fact one of Azzi's injuries was when her own team mate fell into her knee. And remember that Paige and Ice were both hurt in pickup games.

Reaction Score
How about using an easy first half schedule like Kim's?
If the first half of the season's schedule has "easy wins," then UCONN can build a strong and confident bench by letting them play more early in the season. Practice is great but there is nothing like playing games to learn. If the coach is confident they will win the game, then coach may be less inclined to yank players for a mistake. Players learn nothing playing in fear of making a mistake. With a strong bench, injuries may not hurt the team as much. The starters should average less than 30 minutes per game. Excluding their freshman years Stewie averaged 29.3 minutes per game, "D" 31.8, and Maya 30.7. Give the starters fresher legs for any given game and for the NCAA tournament. Even the best there ever was, benefited from fresh legs. The bench would actually contribute to close games later in the season.

UCONN won 11 NCAA championships. UCONN did not win a NCAA championship in 27 years. 29%? You can do better! ;):rolleyes:
NO! Kim is in the SEC. He needs top out of conference games to attract recruits.

Reaction Score
First of all if Geno wanted to develop his bench he had many games this year where they could have played. He overworked his starters because he wanted to, not because he had to. UCONN could have lost 10 games and still made the tournament and would still have the best players on the court in almost every game so that wasn't an issue.
Totally agree one of my criticisms of Geno is he absolutely refuses to develop his bench during early season games. We have has problems with backup bigs for 10 years because of injuries and player development. He is stubborn.

Reaction Score
This is the bottom line. For UConn, the most important predictor of success in the Tourney has been health to its key players. For the last several years, it has not had a healthy team. So, the schedule that enables a rested, healthy team should be the one that Geno goes with. This means rest and not overtaxing key players in February and March.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know our team had plenty of injuries that may have led to some of the losses.
Ya think???

But I think nutrition took a toll on our team late in the season and at times may have led to our squad taking a lax attitude towards the inter-conference play.
Ok, you're gonna have to explain this one.

Reaction Score
Uconn may have a chance with Betts in the portal. Which would definitely give them a board hog. Still in the air.

Reaction Score
I much prefer a strong OOC schedule. The games are more fun to watch. Don’t think there is much evidence if any that a soft schedule helps with player development .They do practice every day and the bench players have every opportunity to earn more playing time .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I much prefer a strong OOC schedule. The games are more fun to watch.
That fact can not be ignored. I think "scheduling for success" has it's time and place; but not at UConn. These guys play hard against top competition in practice every day.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What part do you want explained.
The part I copied and asked about??

But I think nutrition took a toll on our team late in the season and at times may have led to our squad taking a lax attitude towards the inter-conference play.

Reaction Score
The part I copied and asked about??

Well one, you have players playing high minutes which takes a toll physically and mentally. Couple that with playing elite teams out of conference while in the midst of playing a competitive conference schedule again is taxing and takes extreme focus as their bodies are starting to wear down from a long grueling season. Our schedule just didn't give our players a chance to exhale.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well one, you have players playing high minutes which takes a toll physically and mentally. Couple that with playing elite teams out of conference while in the midst of playing a competitive conference schedule again is taxing and takes extreme focus as their bodies are starting to wear down from a long grueling season. Our schedule just didn't give our players a chance to exhale.
Sure, but what does that have to do with nutrition? What do you know about what they were eating that was affecting them during this time?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yes, and hopefully for the foreseeable future. The only good thing to come out of the series was beating them four times (now 17-9 overall :)). With how Tenn recruiting is going not sure how good they’ll be over the next few years.

Reaction Score
Funny how playing a really tough (usually the toughest) schedule has led us to 11 championships. Didnt here anyone complaining then. Weak teams do NOTHING to help ur team. It just lowers expectations.

Reaction Score
Funny how playing a really tough (usually the toughest) schedule has led us to 11 championships. Didnt here anyone complaining then. Weak teams do NOTHING to help ur team. It just lowers expectations.
Like anything in this world, there are two sides to everything. If Geno would lower himself to play a "Kim type of an OOC schedule", you then will get the other 50% posting how weak Geno's OOC schedule is when the Big East is already loaded with cupcakes. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom