Should the BE make a play to add West Virginia? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should the BE make a play to add West Virginia?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I see your point but I have a suspicion that no P5 Conferences want to expand with the remaining Big 12 schools, the one exception MIGHT be WVU to the ACC, but it isn't because the ACC wants WVU, it might be because WVU is the only rational choice if they need to trigger a renegotiation of their TV contract.
I just don't see the draw that WVU has for the ACC. I think everyone is just saying this scenario because of their location and that's it. The ACC has Pitt and Louisville in that area so there's no need for WVU geographically. Their athletic programs bring something to the table but do they really need it? I think they are going to lose Clemson and FSU and they know it. Will adding WVU be a school to help replace that or keep them around longer? I just don't see it.

I think WVU will stay with the rest of the Big 12 schools and they'll add Cincy and UCF. TBH, it will remain a solid football conference and basketball won't take as much of a hit. Brand will be a massive drop off though but no one would replace the Texas and OU brand.

Reaction Score
Big East will merely be a temporary landing spot for WVU unless they are committed to indy football. WVU will try the hardest to get into the ACC since it's probably their best option right now.

Big East would be attractive if many teams go indy in football signing their own individual rights with streaming companies. Big East would be perfect place to house all other sports.

I think the entire college football will go to indy route if some big brands can earn even more money on their own vs. being in conferences. All it takes is for someone like Amazon to offer $100M per year to a team like Texas to get it started. With indy deals, schools can schedule however they like to create great matchups vs having to play Vandy every year.

What UConn is doing now is a preview of future media deals for schools.
Why would Amazon pay 100 mil to any one school? Amazon is interested in the nfl model which is why the sec will look exactly like that in 10 years.

This recent realignment is based on the fact that espn realized that consolidation is better and more profitable.

Let’s see what happens next. I would be shocked if schools like Ohio state and Usc commit to anything that ties them up any longer than they currently are. Why? Because they are next.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would. But, West Virginia and Kansas go Indy and join in all other sports?
I could see that.

big east isn’t afraid of FB schools, they just don’t want a football league.

I hadn't considered adding Kansas to BE and having them go Indy in FB.

Really don't get excited about address ng both Kansas and WVU. Either or.

Reaction Score
If WVU doesn't get in the ACC then I hope our reality finds us in a Conference that still includes Kansas and Baylor.....a two division set up where either the Big 12 canabalizes the AAC or vice versa because football drives the WVU bus. We can't go independent in Football

Reaction Score
Now Kansas going independent in football seems quite a natural possibility.....and would lead to an annual football win for Indy Uconn
Kansas going indy to protect its prized basketball program just like what Uconn just did with the Big East. If Kansas can't get into another P5 conference, and that's a very real possibility, the Big East would be an attractive spot since the Big East is still a power basketball conference.

For the record and based on analysis from real media consultants, the media value of remaining B12 schools without Texas is worth about $9M per school. Basically, they are a slightly better AAC. It might be enough to attract AAC schools to move over, but it won't get the 8 B12 schools to stay together long term via GOR. The current AAC schools get $7M payout, and no one signed the GOR. The current Big East media deal is playing around $4M to $5M per school, and it is due for a bump in the upcoming new media deal.

If WVU can't get into another P5 conference soon, joining a conference like the Big East should be in the table just for some stability especially if Big East will get a bump at the next media deal. By staying with the current B12 leftovers, it is just another slightly better AAC that's waiting to be picked apart by other power conferences. You know any of the remaining 8 will leave the second another power conference offered.

Reaction Score
Why would Amazon pay 100 mil to any one school? Amazon is interested in the nfl model which is why the sec will look exactly like that in 10 years.

This recent realignment is based on the fact that espn realized that consolidation is better and more profitable.

Let’s see what happens next. I would be shocked if schools like Ohio state and Usc commit to anything that ties them up any longer than they currently are. Why? Because they are next.
By paying certain schools $100M, they avoid paying other schools the same amount. In a real world, Bama would get $100M while a Mississippi State or Vandy would get $100 based on viewer interest. It is a net savings for media companies vs paying a whole conference X amount times number of teams.

Reaction Score
By paying certain schools $100M, they avoid paying other schools the same amount. In a real world, Bama would get $100M while a Mississippi State or Vandy would get $100 based on viewer interest. It is a net savings for media companies vs paying a whole conference X amount times number of teams.
Is this just for home games?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kansas and WV in the Big East and both independents would be phenomenal imo. It would give Creighton a driveable opponent and supercharge the conference.
Agree! Well other than except for the fact that it will never happen.

Reaction Score
Kansas going indy to protect its prized basketball program just like what Uconn just did with the Big East. If Kansas can't get into another P5 conference, and that's a very real possibility, the Big East would be an attractive spot since the Big East is still a power basketball conference.

For the record and based on analysis from real media consultants, the media value of remaining B12 schools without Texas is worth about $9M per school. Basically, they are a slightly better AAC. It might be enough to attract AAC schools to move over, but it won't get the 8 B12 schools to stay together long term via GOR. The current AAC schools get $7M payout, and no one signed the GOR. The current Big East media deal is playing around $4M to $5M per school, and it is due for a bump in the upcoming new media deal.

If WVU can't get into another P5 conference soon, joining a conference like the Big East should be in the table just for some stability especially if Big East will get a bump at the next media deal. By staying with the current B12 leftovers, it is just another slightly better AAC that's waiting to be picked apart by other power conferences. You know any of the remaining 8 will leave the second another power conference offered.
I don't think another P5 conference will offer any of them.....I think that maybe WVU gets the ACC but I'm get a feeling that the Pac 12 isn't interested and I think the B1G has very little interest in expansion and if the B1G does expand I believe they are thinking of something radical like raiding schools in the PAC or ACC, but that might be at least 10 years off.....the ACC schools are about 15 years out from the expiration of a massive GoR. So I don't think it likely that at least 7 of the 8 will find a P5 home, and if they EVER do, it could be a decade and a half from now.

Reaction Score
I would. But, West Virginia and Kansas go Indy and join in all other sports?
I could see that.

big east isn’t afraid of FB schools, they just don’t want a football league.
Nonsense. They don’t want football at all. It’s why they had such severe buyout provisions if UConn wants to leave and even restrict our ability to negotiate with a P5 league. Look the NEWBIE is about men’s basketball. Nothing else. It doesn’t care about any other sport and positively hates football even though schools like Providence and Seton Hall couldn’t compete against the football schools and now are actually competitive in the conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom