Shortage of players | The Boneyard

Shortage of players

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We know that Paige and Ice are out for the season. Azzi is out for 3-6 weeks. Dorka is day-to-day. Nika got whacked badly and sat out the rest of the game. Lou has a tweaked ankle/foot. That gives us a roster perhaps as small as 6.

I recall Stewie putting out a call to look for walk-ons. That effort netted Brianna Pulido and Tierney Lawlor. Does Paige need to go recruiting on campus?

Is there any mutual interest between UConn and Payton Verhulst? I think we were in her final 10 or so. She has entered the transfer portal and could be available as soon as Louisville's finals are over. What do you folks think about whether we should try to get her or could get her?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Volleyball season is over. Jasmine is 6-1

Nice work, Nan!

Reaction Score
We know that Paige and Ice are out for the season. Azzi is out for 3-6 weeks. Dorka is day-to-day. Nika got whacked badly and sat out the rest of the game. Lou has a tweaked ankle/foot. That gives us a roster perhaps as small as 6.

I recall Stewie putting out a call to look for walk-ons. That effort netted Brianna Pulido and Tierney Lawlor. Does Paige need to go recruiting on campus?

Is there any mutual interest between UConn and Payton Verhulst? I think we were in her final 10 or so. She has entered the transfer portal and could be available as soon as Louisville's finals are over. What do you folks think about whether we should try to get her or could get her?
I believe it was Stef Dolson who did that, but that was when practice started. Recruiting walk ons now just isn’t in the cards; the practice players are suddenly even more important.

Reaction Score
What would be the point of getting Verhulst? She wouldn't be able to play until next season and by then everyone will be healed up. She wants playing time and would not get much of that at UConn.

PvP

Reaction Score
I seem to recall during the Covid shutdowns teams needing a certain number of players active for a game in order to be eligible to field a team. And it was more than 5. If that is the rule and both Nika and Lou can't play, we might be in jeopardy of forfeiting the Maryland game.

Does anyone know the regulation?

Reaction Score
I seem to recall during the Covid shutdowns teams needing a certain number of players active for a game in order to be eligible to field a team. And it was more than 5. If that is the rule and both Nika and Lou can't play, we might be in jeopardy of forfeiting the Maryland game.

Does anyone know the regulation?
The minimum is 7 assuming that rule is still in effect. I mean if you had to you could always dress a player like Dorka that's considered a game time decision and just not play her.

Reaction Score
There's got to be a player or two in that school thats looking for 15 minutes of fame!

Reaction Score
Volleyball season is over. Jasmine is 6-1

That's a great suggestion. Trained to go after the ball. Probably wouldn't catch it, but could spike it to half court to start the fast break!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That's a great suggestion. Trained to go after the ball. Probably wouldn't catch it, but could spike it to half court to start the fast break!
I bet she can sky for rebounds

1670594555573.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would rather see the coaching staff focus their time on helping players like DeBerry and Patterson get more productive. Likely a result of a confidence issue, DeBerry tends to slow down and Patterson to speed up when under pressure. Both have great skills and could over power defenders if they used their height and physical assets more on both offense and defense.

Reaction Score
I think putting a call out for walk-ons is a great idea. Why not!
I know I’m going to get ripped to shreds, but here goes…
Maybe at a different university with a less than seriously competitive program it would work.
You could even do it by raffle or bid the spot on the roster out allowing sponsorship of a walk on for a charitable donation.
Would make a great story.
Not a good idea at UCONN.
Don’t think that anybody associated with the WBB program, players, coaches, administrators would appreciate the suggestion.
Better to forfeit a game or even two rather than make a mockery of everything accomplished by the Huskies.
Also, even though these young ladies are-when physically sound-strong, fit and durable, not having the minimum number of healthy players is a recipe for additional injuries.
We’re UCONN and have to answer to an even higher authority.
If by some chance some knucklehead in college administration insisted they do it, Geno & CD’s would tender their resignations.
IMHO

Reaction Score
Would rather see the coaching staff focus their time on helping players like DeBerry and Patterson get more productive. Likely a result of a confidence issue, DeBerry tends to slow down and Patterson to speed up when under pressure. Both have great skills and could over power defenders if they used their height and physical assets more on both offense and defense.
I would rather see the coaching staff get more players and not refuse to bring in more players .

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know I’m going to get ripped to shreds, but here goes…
Maybe at a different university with a less than seriously competitive program it would work.
You could even do it by raffle or bid the spot on the roster out allowing sponsorship of a walk on for a charitable donation.
Would make a great story.
Not a good idea at UCONN.
Don’t think that anybody associated with the WBB program, players, coaches, administrators would appreciate the suggestion.
Better to forfeit a game or even two rather than make a mockery of everything accomplished by the Huskies.
Also, even though these young ladies are-when physically sound-strong, fit and durable, not having the minimum number of healthy players is a recipe for additional injuries.
We’re UCONN and have to answer to an even higher authority.
If by some chance some knucklehead in college administration insisted they do it, Geno & CD’s would tender their resignations.
IMHO
This is a really absurd take. I can only assume you have no history with UCONN WBB???

Marron, Fernandes, Pope, Pulido, Lawlor mean nothing to you???

And to think anyone in college administration would try to tell Geno & Co what they should do with their program???

Really makes me SMH.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
This is a really absurd take. I can only assume you have no history with UCONN WBB???

Marron, Fernandes, Pope, Pulido, Lawlor mean nothing to you???

And to think anyone in college administration would try to tell Geno & Co what they should do with their program???

Really makes me SMH.

I think this is the full list under Gerno?

Kathy Kraus (1992-93)
Colleen Healy (1991-94)

Jill Gelfenbien (1994-95)
Marci Czel (1997-2001)
Stacey Marron (2001-05)
Jacquie Fernandes (2006-2010)
Briana Pulido (2013-2016)
Tierney Lawlor (2013-17)
Autumn Chassion

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What would be the point of getting Verhulst? She wouldn't be able to play until next season and by then everyone will be healed up. She wants playing time and would not get much of that at UConn.
I believe kids in the portal for December 1-15 can transfer and play immediately. See the other thread here. I think Verhulst is good enough to play at the UConn level, but maybe not as many minutes as she wants. There is certainly opportunity in Storrs in the short term.

Reaction Score
I teach an evening class on Thursdays and didn’t get to watch last night. I’m not sure I even have the heart to watch it today. And I’m equally uncertain I will be able to muster the courage to watch on Sunday. But the girls have to have considerably more courage to play in it, so I better pull myself together and watch.

Reaction Score
I believe kids in the portal for December 1-15 can transfer and play immediately. See the other thread here. I think Verhulst is good enough to play at the UConn level, but maybe not as many minutes as she wants. There is certainly opportunity in Storrs in the short term.
One thing that's not clear about spring semester transfers is whether or not they require a waiver from the NCAA to play immediately. Mir needed one IIRC, so in theory, the NCAA could always reject anyone we pick up in the last few days of the portal.

Reaction Score

Kathy Kraus (1992-93)
Colleen Healy (1991-94)

Marci Czel (1997-2001)
Stacey Marron (2001-05)
Tierney Lawlor (2013-17)
Autumn Chassion
Thank you for the history lesson. I never realized that Jacque Fernandes was originally a walk-on. Although she got a scholarship before her freshman season began, she was a true walk-on.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

Kathy Kraus (1992-93)
Colleen Healy (1991-94)

Marci Czel (1997-2001)
Stacey Marron (2001-05)
Tierney Lawlor (2013-17)
Autumn Chassion
Did any of those players join the team eight games into the season? (That was a rhetorical question.)

Dawn Staley agreed to cancel last year's gme with SC. Was that due to UConn injuries? I really don't remember the exact reason.

Reaction Score
Agree up to a point, as there are other people on the court, with whistles. If we get one or 2 people into foul trouble, we may end up finishing a game with 4 players. (anyone know the rules regarding that?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom