Shooting? | The Boneyard

Shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Other than Vance, who on this team can make a perimeter shot? Every team is going to zone us and we have a team full of slashers. No diversity of talent despite their recruitng rankings. Even next year all of the guys committed are not known for shooting. The rebounding is an ongoing problem but the defense and foul shooting could and should improve but at some point you have to make shots, especially when we run this crap offense that does not facillitate easy buckets. I shudder to think what the Syracuse zone is going to do to this team. How does every other team, including the two we have played so far, seem to have multiple snipers on the court and we could barely find any? It seems like we have a bunch of unskilled athletes that look great at full court pickup but have no clue in a half court teaam concept. It is not just the coaching Ollie is struggling with. While he is recruiting well as far as rankings go, he is recruiting too many of the same type of players. Raw big men and slashing point guards who cant shoot straight are not getting it done against these zones being thrown at us.

Reaction Score
never thought id be saying this so early in the season, but Vital would've been just what we needed

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This was a well known problem with this team coming in this year, and last year, and even the year before that. For a system that lives and dies from the 3pt shot, we seem to never have enough shooters.

Reaction Score
When was the last time they has a Rashad Anderson? Decades ago.

Reaction Score
Does Ollie have the courage to tell the seniors to take a back seat to Vance and Vital for the good of the team if this catastrophe continues? I hope so.

Reaction Score
i think it isn't just shooting, its passing and confident ball handling. If you go back and watch guys like purvis adams and larrier, they aren't really breaking guys down and making plays for each other. its just a lot of iso ball, even welsh commented on it.

Reaction Score
When was the last time they has a Rashad Anderson? Decades ago.

Trust me, his name will be Vance Jackson.

And just being a smart ass, Rashad was literally a decade ago.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Shooting is an aspect of one of the two things that hurt this team the most - scoring and rebounding

Reaction Score
Does Ollie have the courage to tell the seniors to take a back seat to Vance and Vital for the good of the team if this catastrophe continues? I hope so.
He better if he values his job.

Reaction Score
You are on to something here. Gilbert had wide open air balls. Rodney was death. Larrier is not a great 3 man. Adams can make them. KO better realize this and run plays that set up guys who can connect. Vance, Vital, and Jalen.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of the iso ball is due to the fact that the alternative is passing it down low to someone who can not catch/finish or kicking it out to a bricklayer. Ollie always says he wants to be up tempo but every one of our games end up being a half court game. Lack of defensive rebounding has something to do with it but he has neither the personnel or offensive gameplan for when the game inevitably slows down. We are brutal after timeouts and end of game situations. The windshield washer offense against the zone is painful but if you are going to do that at least have multiple guys that have a chance to shoot teams out of their zone or at least extend it creating more driving lanes.

Reaction Score
It's not just shooting. It's lack of an entire offense and offensive gameplan

Reaction Score
Agreed. But would it not be nice to have both, or at least one? If coach is going to be stubborn or borderline incompetent and run this offense (if you could even call it that) at least have the correct personnel to run it or the shooters to bail you out. Even if we run better offense is anyone really confident that our guys could consistently knock down open shots? Or even make contested layups for that matter. He said in the press conference that he swears they make shots in practice and that the players are always in the gym shooting. Well, the proof is in the pudding. The last few years we are a half court 3 point shooting team that cant shoot 3 pointers. It doesnt matter how many you make in practice. They dont count. If you cant make them when the lights go on and the zone extended then it doesnt matter. The zone then packs it in and any driving lanes are cut off just daring you to shoot....and you still cant. Shabazz was the cure all in 2014 but we still had Daniels, Giffey and Boat that could knock down shots also. Multiple shot makers. Shabazz was awesome but he did not do it all alone though at times it sure seemed like it.

Reaction Score
Giffey was the last knock down shooter had a hell of a senior year.

You hope Larrier can hit shots.

But I agree I would let Purvis and Adams beat me from the perimeter. We don't seem to recruit players with high skill levels. Put more value on Atgleticism.

Reaction Score
Shotttt-iiiinng? Shot-tiiiing? Shoooo-tiiiing? What is that?

Reaction Score
Larrier is 3-10 from 3 and we've got 2 guys taking several 3's a game shooting significantly worse from deep. (Purvis 2-10, Gilbert 1-7)..

Enoch is 1-9 from the field, all but 1 coming from the paint or a post-up.

Teams against us shooting 78% on FTs, while we are 18/29 (62%).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom