Shea Ralph | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shea Ralph

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I love when we get the "who will replace Geno" threads.

So here's my take:
D and/ or Sue - not going to happen. Both have made it very clear they do not want to coach. And for those of you who disagree, just remember, being a great player doesn't mean you can/ will be a great coach.

Shea - if she builds Vandy into a consistent top 4 or 5 in the SEC, becoming nationally ranked with multiple NCAA bids and tournament wins - why would she leave that?

Marrisa - same as Shea. If she is successful at Wisconsin, why leave.

Carla Berube- maybe. Given Carla's history at D3 level, she may be perfectly happy at Princeton.

And why does Geno successor have to be from UConn?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

So here's my take:
D and/ or Sue - not going to happen. Both have made it very clear they do not want to coach. And for those of you who disagree, just remember, being a great player doesn't mean you can/ will be a great coach.
Sue has not made that clear at all. In a interview with Doug Feinberg during the Olympics she talked about what she'll do after retiring from the WNBA. She said she has set herself up such that she won't have to decide right away but she certainly did not rule out coaching.

While being a great player does not make someone a great coach, there are great players who see and think the game like a coach. Sue is one of those players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sue has not made that clear at all. In a interview with Doug Feinberg during the Olympics she talked about what she'll do after retiring from the WNBA. She said she has set herself up such that she won't have to decide right away but she certainly did not rule out coaching.

While being a great player does not make someone a great coach, there are great players who see and think the game like a coach. Sue is one of those players.
Everything I heard about Sue's interest is that she is far more interested on the Business / Management side.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score

So here's my take:

Shea - if she builds Vandy into a consistent top 4 or 5 in the SEC, becoming nationally ranked with multiple NCAA bids and tournament wins - why would she leave that?

Carla Berube- maybe. Given Carla's history at D3 level, she may be perfectly happy at Princeton.

I agree with almost everything you've posted here...except I thk if Shears builds tht type of a resume thn she comes back full circle to where her college career began, after the smoke from payment bidding war clears. And idk if the next coach HAS to be from Uconn but I feel an ex-Uconn grad will know, continue and incorporate Genos winning formula , esp the boot camp like practices and in game strategies .

Reaction Score
Do you mind saying why a pro coach would be a mistake? Just because two or three have not been successful in college? Those were very different cases.

In Coach Miller's case, he has college experience both as an assistant and as a head coach. And he obviously has no problem with living in Eastern Connecticut.

Or is this about the fact that he has no UConn connection? Or maybe that he is a gay man?
Whoa! Where does that last statement come from? What does his sexual orientation have to do with coaching? I don’t know what his is (nor do I care) but I certainly don’t think it makes any difference. I am curious as to why you would make such a strange comment? Also, I’m not sure who you are referring to that were “very different cases” but I just happen to think it is very difficult for Pro coaches to adapt to the college game. They have to do so many things they are unaccustomed to doing like recruiting, fundraising, dealing with young, often immature players and their parents etc etc. I just think it is a difficult adjustment and would rather see one of the candidates I mentioned in my post. I threw Taurasi in because I think she might be one of the rare great players who could actually learn to coach lesser players but why take that chance when there are candidates with a proven record of excellence as head coaches.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
IMHO, Shea is on a 5 year audition for her next job. If she brings Vandy back into prominence, she is hands down the first choice. It has to be someone who knows how to continue what Geno has started. It has to be someone what it takes to win and how to instill that in players. Also it will have to be a name that will continue to entice recruits. Shea could fit that bill if she turns Vandy around.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The idea that Banghart would leave the head coaching job at UNC to succeed Geno is just crazy.
I don’t know about that. Coach Banghart is from the Northeast and UConn is the premier basketball program in the country. Both of those things might lead her to want the Connecticut job. That said, although I met her a few times when she was a Princeton and I think she is a good coach, she is nowhere near UConn women’s basketball good. I’m not sure why she was mentioned.

CL82

Reaction Score

So here's my take:

TL;DR: He has no idea who will replace Geno.

Reaction Score
I believe that your take gravely sells Shea short.
Despite the opinion of many here, there is a WBB world outside of Storrs.
Geno’s current contract runs through the 24-25 season with the potential of two one year extensions.
We all have dreams and ambitions, and are granted an indeterminate time to achieve them.
Chris Daly is a super person and an invaluable asset to UCONN basketball.
Not everyone is a Chris Daly.
Labeling Shea’s departure to create her own legacy as an ‘audition’ for Geno’s replacement really diminishes her achievements and success as an individual.
JMH

Reaction Score
I believe that your take gravely sells Shea short.
Despite the opinion of many here, there is a WBB world outside of Storrs.
Two off the charts GREAT points.

Reaction Score
0% chance of Jamelle being UConn HC.
Zero
Stop that nonsense

CL82

Reaction Score
1632676447959.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You can add Bill Belichick to your list. Failed miserably at Cleveland but learned what it took to become great at his next job.
But, you're asking a lot of Jamelle if you bring her in to take over for likely the best coach in women's (or maybe men's too) history when she didn't do well at UC. Not everyone is suited for the top job and, in fact, some may be excellent assistants or associates and that's where they are most comfortable and most successful.
Not sure you can give Belichick all the credit. Who’s been more successful post-split?

D72A04D9-7024-4305-8E8F-A53BBB378B2F.jpeg

Reaction Score
As long as the topic is "Shea Ralph" :
Along with just about all of Husky Nation, I love the way Shea used to approach the game.
Play like you mean it. Go as hard as you can for as long as you can. Assume nothing. Challenge everything.How are you going to make the hard shots if you can't put the easy ones away.
Her success at Vandy will be determined by how well she can impart her philosophy to her troops.
Maybe, just maybe, the reason some of us find Nika to be so intriguing is the fact that she shows the potential to be that kind of player.
Please note, before you recommend me for a psych eval, that I said POTENTIAL. She has to find a way to stay healthy, learn not to make rookie mistakes and get in foul trouble, without losing the intensity and work ethic she has displayed.
A lot of things have to happen for her to blossom into a force to be reckoned with.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So if I am reading and interpreting all these posts about what BYers want in a head coach to replace Geno and assuming CD retires along side our beloved Coach, we ultimately want a player who played for the legendary program, earned All-American 1st team honors, won a National title, played on USA basketball teams, was an assistant coach for the legendary program, has head coaching experience at a high profile program with experience garnering top HS recruits and coaching players who played in the WNBA and on USA National teams…in other words, this forum wants Holly Warlick?
moving star wars GIF

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno attract recruits . When he retires I think he will remain on board part time and relinquish some of his duties but not all. What he will be needed for is to attract recruits and make them better. When a new head coach adopts Genos ability to teach train and develop his players is when Geno will step aside.

When you look at great programs you need to go no further then UConn Men and see what happened when Jim Calhoun retired. The UConn WBB team needs to prepare and be ready when Geno leaves to who ever steps in that they will not loose what Geno has built.

Reaction Score
When he retires I think he will remain on board part time and relinquish some of his duties but not all.

I have never ever seen a coach “partially” leave. And it’s detrimental to the new coach.

Reaction Score
As long as the topic is "Shea Ralph" :
Along with just about all of Husky Nation, I love the way Shea used to approach the game.
Play like you mean it. Go as hard as you can for as long as you can. Assume nothing. Challenge everything.How are you going to make the hard shots if you can't put the easy ones away.
Her success at Vandy will be determined by how well she can impart her philosophy to her troops.
Maybe, just maybe, the reason some of us find Nika to be so intriguing is the fact that she shows the potential to be that kind of player.
Please note, before you recommend me for a psych eval, that I said POTENTIAL. She has to find a way to stay healthy, learn not to make rookie mistakes and get in foul trouble, without losing the intensity and work ethic she has displayed.
A lot of things have to happen for her to blossom into a force to be reckoned with.
She WAS a rookie.
I’m sure she is ready for her next step.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I read it somewhere here on the BY within the last year or two that Geno has in his contract that he can stay in an advisory role for UConn WBB in the Athletic Department for up to 5 years after he leaves as coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom