Shea --Missing The Big Picture. | The Boneyard

Shea --Missing The Big Picture.

Reaction Score
I think we are missing the big picture with Shea leaving. When Geno does leave, she will have had a few years as a D1 coach in a major conference. And combined with her years of playing, coaching and recruiting top rated players, she would be the the perfect replacement. None of the former player/coaches have put in the time and effort with the team that she has put in.

Additionally, we avoid the "Holly" Syndrome-following a Hall of Fame coach. .

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
1998-07-04B-240x331.gif

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would not necessarily assume that Shea will be back as Geno’s replacement some day. Nashville is a great city. She’ll be working together every day with her husband. Vandy has a $300 million capital project to upgrade its facilities, and if Shea is able to turn the program around, she could end up coaching there for a very long time.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Shea has to do well at Vanderbilt to be a plausible candidate to be Geno's successor. That will be a challenge. Her big problem is that she is not a "household name" among high school prospects. That will make it difficult for her to recruit competitively with other SEC coaches.

That is why Sue Bird tops my list of potential next UConn coaches. Her celebrity status in the WBB world trumps her lack of coaching experience in my mind.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Carla Berube Carla Berube Carla Berube Carla Berube Carla Berube say it again Carla Berube

Hopefully it will be possible to lure her away from Princeton. She is the only ex-player who has been really successful at coaching. Success is hard to ignore.

Reaction Score
Shea has to do well at Vanderbilt to be a plausible candidate to be Geno's successor. That will be a challenge. Her big problem is that she is not a "household name" among high school prospects. That will make it difficult for her to recruit competitively with other SEC coaches.

That is why Sue Bird tops my list of potential next UConn coaches. Her celebrity status in the WBB world trumps her lack of coaching experience in my mind.

I don’t disagree with you about not being a household name with high school players, but I do know that last week there were over 800 players on the women’s side in the transfer portal. This is a completely new era in recruiting and rebuilding a roster, and is really the wild wild west to even the most veteran coaches. If you consider that a crazy # of players there are over 1200 players in the portal on the men’s side, an average of 3.5 for every D-1 team.
Not sure what everyone else thinks about these numbers, but I am going to be curious to see what % of these players who had a scholarship, end up without one and forfeited their chance to get a college diploma paid for. In my mind the portal has moved the college definition of “student athlete“ more towards just “athlete”. JMO

Reaction Score
Nothing to back this up just a gut feeling but if either Marisa Moseley at Wisconsin or Shea at Vanderbilt prove that they can recruit effectively and win consistently at a high level either one would have a chance of following Geno once he retires. Marisa has shown she can win at a lower level at BU but if Shea is successful at Vanderbilt I think she has an edge due to her long history as a player and coach at UConn. I don't think UConn would hire someone with little or no coaching experience i.e. Sue Bird and I can't see a well established big name coach coming to UConn with nothing to gain and everything to lose following a legend.

Reaction Score
Clearly, there are a number of great potential replacements for Geno. I do see any of them not wanting to become the Head Coach at UConn, regardless.

Reaction Score

And UConn has a strong soccer program so there could be a job for Megan too.. just sayin..

Reaction Score
I would not necessarily assume that Shea will be back as Geno’s replacement some day. Nashville is a great city. She’ll be working together every day with her husband. Vandy has a $300 million capital project to upgrade its facilities, and if Shea is able to turn the program around, she could end up coaching there for a very long time.
Evidently people on this board don't really think that UCONN is a truly special program unmatched by anything ever seen in college sports.
Evidently a decent city in a good league with a program that gets little to national pub is more attractive than the most dominant women's program in history with an entire state hanging on nearly your every word where you are immediately one of the most famous and known people.
An entire state that almost lives and breaths women's basketball and you get the publicity and star status only dreamed about anywhere else cannot match Vandy? NO, not buying it. Frankly, I'm a bit pissed that people here don't think that we're all that great. Must be the general misguided thinking in CT.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Shea and Marisa are both taking on reclamation project programs. They have three possible outcomes:
1. They fail and become the latest Jamelle in Geno/Uconn's coaching tree, low on the list of future hires.
2. They are mildly successful and they will be mildly interesting possibles for Uconn successors, but they probably get another contract and being in a P5 is pretty appealing.
3. They are very successful and create programs with their names on them. They own the programs and why would they then leave their program in a P5 conference to take on Geno's program with his name indelibly attached to it?

It is the problem every very successful program has with a 'succession plan'. The question is of course how soon the plan gets executed. If it is five years from now we will know how Shea and Marisa have done.

FYI - Shea has been in front of every top 50 recruit in the country for the last 13 years - she has name recognition. Marisa hasn't been recruiting at that level for the last three years so she has to reintroduce herself to the top level.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Shea has to do well at Vanderbilt to be a plausible candidate to be Geno's successor.
Well is defined as better than her predecessor and that bar is pretty low. Exceptional is what I expect. I have absolute faith in Shea's abilities. She is bright, charming, talented, disciplined, 'relentless' in her tasks. She was an All American and MVP of the Final Four. She knows how to win and what is necessary to get to that place. She has recruiting contacts throughout the country and in Europe. She has relationships with the top 25 of the 22's, 23's and 24's and probably many in the transfer portal. She can offer a first rate education and soon brand new facilities. She has been the individual coach for a string of All Americans and first round WNBA picks. She is young and socially in tune with today's players. It is the perfect storm for a rapid (3 year?) turnaround. My new 2nd team to root for is ... well, I guess you can figure that out. (Anchor Down!)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
They fail and become the latest Jamelle in Geno/Uconn's coaching tree, low on the list of future hires.
Unfair comparison for Jamelle. She did a wonderful job of turning that program around with out a lot or support. Geno was furious at the way she was treated by the Cincinnati administration. She was so hurt she was on record as not ever wanting to coach again. Her last two years she was 16-14 and 19-13.

You saw the turn around this team did last year when Jamelle joined halfway through the season. She is one of my top picks to replace the man after he and CD ride off into the sunset

Reaction Score
Evidently people on this board don't really think that UCONN is a truly special program unmatched by anything ever seen in college sports.
Evidently a decent city in a good league with a program that gets little to national pub is more attractive than the most dominant women's program in history with an entire state hanging on nearly your every word where you are immediately one of the most famous and known people.
An entire state that almost lives and breaths women's basketball and you get the publicity and star status only dreamed about anywhere else cannot match Vandy? NO, not buying it. Frankly, I'm a bit pissed that people here don't think that we're all that great. Must be the general misguided thinking in CT.
It is a special program... with a HOF coach. When the last HOF coach left UConn, that program (mbb) didn’t sustain the excellence it mostly had for the previous few decades.
Will we get a guarantee from you that won’t happen to wbb?
Following Geno will be an unusually difficult job.

Reaction Score
Its all about recruiting & making sure the machine keeps working. The next coach has to be able to land top recruits - no matter how good they are with X's & O's. Sue Bird is a no-brainer in that respect, if she wants to coach.

Reaction Score
Carla Berube Carla Berube Carla Berube Carla Berube Carla Berube say it again Carla Berube

Hopefully it will be possible to lure her away from Princeton. She is the only ex-player who has been really successful at coaching. Success is hard to ignore.
Why is everyone assuming Geno’s replacement will be a woman? Lots of really good male coaches in the women’s game, Oregon, Louisville, Iowa State, Syracuse, NC State, TAM, Miami, to name few, and one female I think might be a possibility, Tanya Cardoza.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfair comparison for Jamelle. She did a wonderful job of turning that program around with out a lot or support. Geno was furious at the way she was treated by the Cincinnati administration. She was so hurt she was on record as not ever wanting to coach again. Her last two years she was 16-14 and 19-13.

You saw the turn around this team did last year when Jamelle joined halfway through the season. She is one of my top picks to replace the man after he and CD ride off into the sunset
Well said, Jamelle made Cincy women's bball relevant and would also be on my very short list of Geno replacements. You can see the "Jamelle effect" in the next two recruiting classes.

Reaction Score
From what I have read and heard, J has little interest in coaching and it seems she might have only took the Uconn job to work with GA, which I assumes she find enjoyable.

Does anybody think Shea left, in part due to some issues she and GA had with her departure from the team during the tournament? I vaguely remember GA said something that made it seem like he was not happy with that situation. Maybe, I got it wrong, just asking...

Reaction Score
Its all about recruiting & making sure the machine keeps working. The next coach has to be able to land top recruits - no matter how good they are with X's & O's. Sue Bird is a no-brainer in that respect, if she wants to coach.
Yeah, well recruiting is great, but if Sue can’t provide the other half of the equation (making the talent get better) her name won’t mean diddlysquat! Now, she may turn out to be a great coach, (assuming she even wants to coach) but college basketball is littered with great players who found that coaching was way more difficult (for them) than playing! My money’s on Shea, Carla, or Marisa.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well said, Jamelle made Cincy women's bball relevant and would also be on my very short list of Geno replacements. You can see the "Jamelle effect" in the next two recruiting classes.
Lived in the MidWest and saw many Cincy games. Few in the area saw the women's team as high performing and relevant.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think Shea will do a terrific job at Vandy. Looking at Vandys roster they need height. Shea has done alot of recruiting at UConn and with the portal open she can use the great education at Vandy to lure prospects. The SEC is a good competitive conference. Many in the portal are there because they didnt get a chance to play at their previous school. Shea has the knowledge and fundamentals to make them a very competitive team. With that said it will take a few years to build. I wish her luck

Reaction Score
I think Shea will do a terrific job at Vandy. Looking at Vandys roster they need height. Shea has done alot of recruiting at UConn and with the portal open she can use the great education at Vandy to lure prospects. The SEC is a good competitive conference. Many in the portal are there because they didnt get a chance to play at their previous school. Shea has the knowledge and fundamentals to make them a very competitive team. With that said it will take a few years to build. I wish her luck
Talk about a face every little girl knows and also knows her X and 0's ...MS. R. Lobo...My choice when G. leaves..Kara W. for assistant..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom