Seton Hall Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't agree, Wbbfan1. Everyone always says don't look back. Can't help it. If Andra had stayed, she'd be starting instead of Christyn, and UConn would have a much more reliable 3-point shooter to take some of the pressure off Paige. If only.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Congratulations Oldude. This thread has become one of the most popular threads in the yard. Over 10,000 views in less than 20 hours. :eek: It's the first place I and many others come to after every game. I want to read your take on the game, and what others have to say as well.

This is where we meet. No searching all over the yard, it's all here. You've really started something. :)

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Just not sure how you build someone up thru public dismay.
I think you overstate Geno's response, he responded to a concern. There was no denigrating, no bashing, no threats, just the need to address the situation. We can all read into it what we may. One thing is for certain, if CW produces she will be on the court, if not someone else should be. Last year there was no real option for a replacement, this year there is. Finally we would only be kidding ourselves if we think CW does not know where things stand.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
CW is NOT a good 3-pt shooter, so not sure thats going to help her get out of a slump. Her form is just not great, she always seems off-balance when shooting from the outside. Instead of sitting on the perimeter, she needs to be "slashing" to the basket. That's her strength - driving to the hoop on set plays or on fast breaks. She's seems very lost if the middle is clogged & she cant get open lanes to the hoop - see last night.

CW shot 43% from beyond the arc her senior year of high school. The competition is different, but the mechanics are the same. Something else is afoot...

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Christyn had a couple really good games back to back not long ago where she was aggressive, got to the rim and finished and was involved and made things happen. Then for no reason, she seemingly reverts back to standing around, contributing nothing and then misses a few shots and her confidence goes out the window. Surely she can see that when she attacks the rim and moves without the ball she has much better games but then she just decides to not do that sometimes?
Just maybe it's easier for you to see this than for CW to see it. I am in awe of her potential not so much her output or mental approach to the game. It appears to me that it only takes a couple of misses for her to backslide. I pray she returns to the slasher she can be if not, it's not good for the team or Christyn to be counted on.

Reaction Score
I think a bunch of the problem is the offense. We’re winning because the team as a whole is tough and gritty, more than recent teams post-Stevie. We’ve got Paige. And there are not a ton of great shooters in WCBB. I think Geno is aware that the offense is suspect but he’s preoccupied with his best player. What he does to take advantage of Paige’s talents does not always make it easy on everyone else but it has instant payoff on the scoreboard. Do you see her assists dropping. Right now he’s got Liv on top which flat out kills us (sorry Jingo) and she’s so tentative shooting from there and he’s got CW on the wing 25 feet from the hoop which also kills us and it’s hurting her game big time.
I know it’s too simple, but consider a 1-2-2 set, point, 2 wings and 2 low posts. We all know it. Posts can come out and back screen (CW cutting off it) and they can flash high post and they can come out and screen on the ball for pick and rolls.

In terms of the technical regarding which offense ot set up - I wont argue. However in terms of Paige - Paige is the best player in wcbb. If CWill can't play effectively with her - then you have to live with it.

Isiah Thomas from the Celts could not play with LeBron. You don't change LeBron to make Isiah more effective if LeBron's style is extremely effective.

Jim Calhoun once was asked about playing a big center on his team - he was from Germany-- looking to give him so minutes because the German kid wasn't going to get better sitting on the bench and Calhoun replied that he could play the kid -a nd others that were not playing much - and they would get better - or he could play the current style and try to win as many games as possible. He ended up saying I think fans want us to try to win as many games as possible.

If CWill can't play with effectively with the best player in WCBB - then she isn't that good anyway. IMO if you or others want to put her in different positions or sets - fine. But until others show they can perform with the higher volume of the ball in their hands and produce - the ball has to get into Paige's hands as much as possible in big games. Some games for example, Evina hot -- give her lots of looks too.

In regard to Paige - UCONN just beat the previous number 1 - because they couldn't stop the number 1 player in America. S.C. made their late run when the ball went away from Paige's hands. Tenn made their run when Paige was out. Until other weapons emerge- or are playing well in a big game- if they aren't then in big games - get the ball to Paige as much as possible and dare the opposing team to stop her. That's the best chance to win - as Calhoun mentioned in prior example.

Reaction Score
Did Meghan actually play basketball? When Elmore backed into Aaliyah and moved her five or six feet, Meghan said that should have been over the back on Aaliyah. Aaliyah never went over Elmore's back. When Elmore backed into her, it made it look like Aaliyah went over her back. If you could do what Elmore did on every rebound, there wouldn't be any offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
ONO did not have the great night that the stats claimed. She had just two rebounds and two points at the end of the first half. She was tentative, missed outside shots, and didn't even make a pretense of going for offensive rebounds. Eight of her thirteen rebounds came in the fourth quarter. Her offensive rebounds seemed to come when Edwards was in the game, causing opposing players to key on Edwards, and leaving ONO open under the basket to rebound, or score. One would like to see ONO play aggressively back-to-the-basket, putting up layups and either scoring, or getting fouled. Her outside shooting just isn't helping. Congratulations to Coach Geno for figuring out how to use ONO in a way that minimizes her liabilities. But as he pointed out again last night, it was Edwards and Griffin who were playing aggressively, and both who provided the offensive rebounding that the team needed. He didn't mention ONO.
First of all - there is only person to say how great of a night someone had and Geno said he was very happy with how she played, especially in the second half.

I don't know if you listened to the presser, but Geno addressed this specifically. He said the movement in the first half was horrible, and in those situations, it's really hard for live to get the ball in a good position and things just get stuck. She had a double-double in the second half when the ball was moving much better. SHE also said that the coaching staff talked to her about that shot and she has the green light, but they'd prefer she take it more towards the end of the shot clock if nothing is developing. Whether she hits all those shots or not, obviously the staff knows she's capable. I also thought she did better at dribbling at that position to draw the defense more. Sorry, but if you're going to pick on a player like this, at least don't misrepresent stuff.

Reaction Score
In terms of the technical regarding which offense ot set up - I wont argue. However in terms of Paige - Paige is the best player in wcbb. If CWill can't play effectively with her - then you have to live with it.

Isiah Thomas from the Celts could not play with LeBron. You don't change LeBron to make Isiah more effective if LeBron's style is extremely effective.

Jim Calhoun once was asked about playing a big center on his team - he was from Germany-- looking to give him so minutes because the German kid wasn't going to get better sitting on the bench and Calhoun replied that he could play the kid -a nd others that were not playing much - and they would get better - or he could play the current style and try to win as many games as possible. He ended up saying I think fans want us to try to win as many games as possible.

If CWill can't play with effectively with the best player in WCBB - then she isn't that good anyway. IMO if you or others want to put her in different positions or sets - fine. But until others show they can perform with the higher volume of the ball in their hands and produce - the ball has to get into Paige's hands as much as possible in big games. Some games for example, Evina hot -- give her lots of looks too.

In regard to Paige - UCONN just beat the previous number 1 - because they couldn't stop the number 1 player in America. S.C. made their late run when the ball went away from Paige's hands. Tenn made their run when Paige was out. Until other weapons emerge- or are playing well in a big game- if they aren't then in big games - get the ball to Paige as much as possible and dare the opposing team to stop her. That's the best chance to win - as Calhoun mentioned in prior example.
That's pretty much what he's doing. You're just describing the current state of affairs. Maybe this is why we always end up crossing paths. I think we can get better. If playing the big German kid makes your team better, then you have to have the foresight to play the big German kid. It's always about being the best you can be. That's the ultimate prize. It's the best result for everyone. Listen to Pheesa's video on why she came to UConn. It's more than winning games. Like Wooden said, the winning will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
All good points. I think we also set incredible expectations for recruits who arrive as the HS POY. Some, like Brianna, Paige, MKL, and Katie ( were Sue Bird and Diana in that category....how could they not be ?), shine "early and often." Williams and Megan Walker didn't really do that. Williams had " the Notre game " game debut, and a few other fine performances....but neither regularly took over a game and won it for UCONN ( not a " big " game, anyway ). So our expectations are deflated whenever a player with a HS POY resume is simply a really good player. And others, like Ionescu at Oregon or Wilson at SC add fuel to that flame. The issue now is, how does Williams return to being a solid and reliable contributor? I think there is only one way; play her and treat her with the respect she has earned.
No .. give someone else a chance .. CW had her chance(s) and didn't deliver .. we have a lot of talent in the wings, eh?
"Bring your game, not your name!"

Reaction Score
If you look at look at close-ups of Christyn, you will see that it is not really Christyn Williams. Geno has found a lookalike to impersonate Christyn and lull other teams into a false sense of security. He will return the real Christyn to the lineup for the NCAA tournament and we will win the championship. Just look at photos of her from recent games. Is that the Christyn we know and love?

Reaction Score
That's pretty much what he's doing. You're just describing the current state of affairs. Maybe this is why we always end up crossing paths. I think we can get better. If playing the big German kid makes your team better, then you have to have the foresight to play the big German kid. It's always about being the best you can be. That's the ultimate prize. It's the best result for everyone. Listen to Pheesa's video on why she came to UConn. It's more than winning games. Like Wooden said, the winning will take care of itself.

I don't think the team gets better by going away from the best player in America.

It's not that there is foresight; it's overcoaching/gambling imo.

A big factor in being the best "you can be" is worrying about winning the next game.

In terms of Pheesa- if you want to listen to her- fine. But I'm watching and listening to Geno. And with his style he continues to get players like Pheesa - and recently better . . .

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Don't agree, Wbbfan1. Everyone always says don't look back. Can't help it. If Andra had stayed, she'd be starting instead of Christyn, and UConn would have a much more reliable 3-point shooter to take some of the pressure off Paige. If only.
She did not play as much at MsSt her second year there because her defense was lacking and has never been good. If she was still at UConn and getting playing time, her defense would have had to improve.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't think the team gets better by going away from the best player in America.

A big factor in being the best "you can be" is worrying about winning the next game.

In terms of Pheesa- if you want to listen to her- fine. But I'm watching and listening to Geno. And with his style he continues to get players like Pheesa - and recently better . . .
The best player in America? Have you seen all the players in America? If not, how do you arrive at that conclusion?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like Liv in the post with AE low. There's a line between the foul line and the arc that shouldn't get behind. 15-18 feet she can shoot, 20+ not so much.
The only way to have both of those players in the game at the same time is for one or the other become a reliable shooter for 8-15 feet. Defenses are being down right severely disrespectful in their disregard of that area of the floor for Aubrey, ONO and AE.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
So essentially, using what you said above, Geno gave up on AEH, indicating that he wasn't going to try anymore. Thus, the game she played last night, putting up 15 Points against the # 1 Team in the Country, and essentially holding CW [a Pre-Season All-American] (to whom she was guarding most of the game) to ZERO Points, shows that some "Other Coach" was able to get AEH to do the things that she is capable of doing, that Geno decided he couldn't do. :rolleyes:
It could well be that she gave up on Geno. I like to think she has grown up a bit since then and , in her third school, has decided to do what she is told. Great player when she was given a chance, but chose not to take that chance at UConn. I am happy she found herself and wish her well. But I darn sure know it takes two to tango, and Geno leads the band.

Reaction Score
ONO did not have the great night that the stats claimed. She had just two rebounds and two points at the end of the first half. She was tentative, missed outside shots, and didn't even make a pretense of going for offensive rebounds. Eight of her thirteen rebounds came in the fourth quarter. Her offensive rebounds seemed to come when Edwards was in the game, causing opposing players to key on Edwards, and leaving ONO open under the basket to rebound, or score. One would like to see ONO play aggressively back-to-the-basket, putting up layups and either scoring, or getting fouled. Her outside shooting just isn't helping. Congratulations to Coach Geno for figuring out how to use ONO in a way that minimizes her liabilities. But as he pointed out again last night, it was Edwards and Griffin who were playing aggressively, and both who provided the offensive rebounding that the team needed. He didn't mention ONO.
Yeah Liv was the player of the game according to many, including me. We were behind Seton Hall until CW was benched, and then we quickly jumped to a ten-point lead with Liv leading the way with points, rebounds, blocks and assists. You're losing your credibility by denigrating Liv for a well-played game with 15points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists & 2 blocks. Player of the game!

Reaction Score

Disagree with all those points! Who in their right mind has said anything about going away from Paige? You're making this up. Maybe the Pete Maravich analogy isn't so far-fetched as you see it. Maybe it's best for everyone concerned if she just shoots every time.
Over-coaching is when you try to "squeeze blood from a turnip". (Geno could be doing that a tad) Your job as a coach is to have your players GEL as a cohesive unit, playing to their fullest potential individually and as a unit. When you've at least approached or glimpsed at that level of excellence, you know it and they know it and they will never forget it. (Geno knows what it feels like more than almost any mortals) It isn't about wins. Wins take care of themselves. It's wins at UConn because he has created the best program and he is able to recruit excellent players.
Pheesa trusted Geno and the staff and program to get her to where she wanted to go. There is a whole roster over there that has similar sentiments, including the best player in WCBB at the moment.

Reaction Score
All good points. I think we also set incredible expectations for recruits who arrive as the HS POY. Some, like Brianna, Paige, MKL, and Katie ( were Sue Bird and Diana in that category....how could they not be ?), shine "early and often." Williams and Megan Walker didn't really do that. Williams had " the Notre game " game debut, and a few other fine performances....but neither regularly took over a game and won it for UCONN ( not a " big " game, anyway ). So our expectations are deflated whenever a player with a HS POY resume is simply a really good player. And others, like Ionescu at Oregon or Wilson at SC add fuel to that flame. The issue now is, how does Williams return to being a solid and reliable contributor? I think there is only one way; play her and treat her with the respect she has earned.
i dont know other fans , for me is really easy ,
at least 10 points per game , not average 10pts / 10-13 FGA , avoid from 3s Attemp
then play hard at defense
that is a min for CW , dont you think

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The only way to have both of those players in the game at the same time is for one or the other become a reliable shooter for 8-15 feet. Defenses are being down right severely disrespectful in their disregard of that area of the floor for Aubrey, ONO and AE.
Liv seems to want a little more room for that shot... She's usually very deliberate about taking it, like there's way too much thinking involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom